• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windham Mountain sued over skier's death

jack97

I usually stop in the middle and always look uphill. Most of the time, the middle is scraped off while the good stuff is at the sides and sometimes kickers are being formed. IMO, why clogged it up for others.

Edd

I usually stop in the middle and always look uphill. Most of the time, the middle is scraped off while the good stuff is at the sides and sometimes kickers are being formed. IMO, why clogged it up for others.

I actually prefer people stop in the middle of the trail.. I find the best snow in bounds is usually on the sides...

This is pretty much what I think. If you're saying never stop on the trail because you're obstructing it, it sounds like you're saying never stop at all. That's not the reality on the hill. I prefer to ski the sides as well. You're more visible to uphill traffic stopping in the middle. If someone is stopped on the sides I just ski around him.

[insert beer-related statement]

jack97

Here's excerpt from the newspaper article I cited......

witness report

According to Advance reports, witnesses told state police Falco was skiing the Upper Warpath trail, an intermediate slope, when he “left the trail” just above its intersection with the Wall Street trail.

plaintiff's argument

Recently, his wife, Karan Falco, sued Ski Windham Operating Corp., alleging her husband’s death resulted from the hazardous design and negligent maintenance of the ski trail.

Skillman said Falco fell into an exposed ravine. “It’s an open area between two trails,” said the lawyer. “I think it would be a common thing for a skier to think it could be used as a cut-through.” The Windham Mountain Resort website shows the Upper Warpath trail runs downhill, while the Wall Street trail runs perpendicular to it.

Maybe the Windham regulars can enlighten me (or us), is the any confusion that there can be a cutoff before Warpath intersects with Wall Street or that this intersection includes the said cut off. That sounds like the crux of the complaint.

Hawkshot99

If a can of beer is sitting in the middle of a hallway, is it obstructing it? Or is it easily bypassed? Most of my scenarios involve cans of beer.

Empty or full? the answer to that question, will directly influence my ability to bypass the can.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

JimG.

Staff member
Reality is always too simple. A basic rule of skiing is that you avoid things. It's why you learn to turn. And unless there are unmarked wooded areas in that "ravine", why would you even be tempted to go into a ravine to "cross-over". The guy went off the trail for whatever reason and hit a tree. It happened at Hunter to a long time regular who was a good skier. Lost an edge on a relatively flat section and went off the trail and hit a tree. Dead on impact. To me, it is disrespectful to the unfortunate victim to make this an issue of money. JMO.

dmc

Before snowboarding you could always find better snow on the sides of a trail, it because people who are new at the sport tend not to like being by the sides.

Don't ever respond to that next time - ok?

buellski

#3 Skier Responsibily Code:

"You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above."

You only highlighted half of that rule. The other half says "...OR are not visible from above." Assuming your quote of the rule is correct and it is not "...AND are not visible from above.", then I would say the rule does not mean you can't stop in the middle of a trail. It just means if you do stop in the middle, make sure you are visible from above. Personally, I don't mind if people stop in the middle as long as I can see them. Like many have said, I'm usually off on the side of the trail anyway. So, in my case, people on the side of the trail are usually in my way.

ScottySkis

Don't ever respond to that next time - ok?

I don't understand why people are prejudiced toward snowboarding probably keep out mountains alive making money and not closing up, there are people who ski who don't pay attention to.

dmc

I don't understand why people are prejudiced toward snowboarding probably keep out mountains alive making money and not closing up, there are people who ski who don't pay attention to.

just ignore... It's ok... Stoked to hit the hill with you in a couple months...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hit a tree my fault. Chair lift falls to the ground ski area's fault. I fall on a mogul run - my fault. I hit a cable or chunk of metal under the snow and wipe out - ski areas fault.

Those are more obvious but the nuanced ones ... like what if I hit a lift pole and break my leg but it didn't have a pad? Or what if I am skiing the perimeter of the trail and I hit a snowmaking pipe?

I'm sure there are better examples than that, I'm just stating that they aren't all as clear as an employee driving over you with a snowmobile.

jack97

Those are more obvious but the nuanced ones ... like what if I hit a lift pole and break my leg but it didn't have a pad? Or what if I am skiing the perimeter of the trail and I hit a snowmaking pipe?

Then you were skiing way to close to the pole or pipes for your own good. The former does not need any warning, its a damn lift pole and latter usually have markings or warning poles along the pipes. Skier/rider bears some responsibility for their action....imo

dmc

"Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects."