• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

Newpylong

Does Magic blow snow this wknd with great temps forecasted? The issue being how warm it will get next week.
i.e. do they take the chance that a good portion of it melts?
They said that they need 5 days to blow T2B route---I count 4 this coming wknd (Friday-Monday)....maybe they lose a day's worth next week so have to make up 2 starting 12/26 or sometime thereafter?

It will be interesting to see the decision that is made----to see how much they try and capture some of the holiday week revenue.
If they don;t blow this weekend I think it may be a smart business decision to preserve funds but it very likely removes any chance of opening and getting vaca week revenue.

If that is true it is the same amount of time as Whaleback - about 100 snowmaking hours. This coming weekend at least in Central NH will only allow for snowmaking at night Sat + Sun (Fri is trending too humid), so it is a tough call. I expect it to be worse in Southern VT. Up here Whaleback is going to make snow but only expects to open the learning area in that time period. Tough call for Magic... will they do the same or hold off? TTB is out of the question and next week looks abysmal. If there is any good news it's that from 12/27 on the over night lows look mighty tasty.

WoodCore

Does Magic blow snow this wknd with great temps forecasted? The issue being how warm it will get next week.
They said that they need 5 days to blow T2B route---I count 4 this coming wknd (Friday-Monday)....maybe they lose a day's worth next week so have to make up 2 starting 12/26 or sometime thereafter? It will be interesting to see the decision that is made----to see how much they try and capture some of the holiday week revenue.
If they don;t blow this weekend I think it may be a smart business decision to preserve funds but it very likely removes any chance of opening and getting vaca week revenue.

If they do make snow they should focus their efforts on the "tubing" park area. They'll never be able to open a TTB route in 3 days but could salvage some revenue by opening the tubing park and a rail/jib park. Could very well be the only tubing operation open in the east. Seems to me with the skiing anticipated to be crappy they'll be a bunch of parents looking to do something with the kids. It's a win for everyone, the kiddos get to tube and expel some energy and mom/dad can relax and throw a couple back at the BLBP. :idea:

slatham

IF the forecasted warmth for next week is still in the forecast as of this weekend when its time to turn the guns on, I agree with WoodCore that they should only make snow on the Tubing area (ok, maybe the beginner area). I for one - and my 3 kids and my friends 3 kids - would likely make the trek over to tube. The reality is that they will not have enough time this weekend to cover T2B and will lose too much next week and who knows whether another window long/cold enough will appear over the holidays. So they could make a lot of snow on Trick/Show Off and have nothing to show for it.

Now if the forecast starts trending colder, and gives an indication of snowmaking cold coming around the weekend of the 26th, then they should go for it. But this is going to be a tough call and will be criticized regardless!

While I don't have data on this, in my experience over the years Magic's skier visits are very back-end loaded in the season. So lets hope things turn before MLK and particularly Presidents week.

tnt1234

Only hop is that 10 day forecast changes by more than 10F...doesn't seem likely, does it?

I'm still holding on to my reservation, but expect to cancel and try to find something further north, which is really only has marginally better prospects.

What a drag.

xwhaler

If that is true it is the same amount of time as Whaleback - about 100 snowmaking hours. This coming weekend at least in Central NH will only allow for snowmaking at night Sat + Sun (Fri is trending too humid), so it is a tough call. I expect it to be worse in Southern VT. Up here Whaleback is going to make snow but only expects to open the learning area in that time period. Tough call for Magic... will they do the same or hold off? TTB is out of the question and next week looks abysmal. If there is any good news it's that from 12/27 on the over night lows look mighty tasty.

So Whaleback learning area by 12/26 with T2B hopefully by the new yr if night temps are good from 12/27 on?
Friday 1/1 would be a decent goal I would think---not sure how realistic.
My son's program starts 1/10 up there so good to hear it looks like it won't be delayed.

Newpylong

1/10 should not be a problem. 1/1 all depends on how much they can do during the day after 12/27 - it looks like it might only be nights for a bit. Time will tell!

Pray for cold temps - go local ski areas!

skithetrees

Most of the people who ski there over the holiday week are, in my estimation, pass holders. It's just not worth it for the marginal revenue. If anything, they should blow the top as that ha a better chance of sticking around and will cut down on time to open once the weather turns.

Magic

Pre-purchased tix for Bromley, Stratton and Okemo early on in the year for this very reason. Not expecting much at any of these mountains but it will keep the kids busy even with a few trails open :( I think I will break out the canoe and go fishing at Lowell Lake.

slatham

Steamboat, that could be said of every eastern area right now. Its not a happy ski season thus far.......

Do Work

They said that they need 5 days to blow T2B route---I count 4 this coming wknd (Friday-Monday)....maybe they lose a day's worth next week so have to make up 2 starting 12/26 or sometime thereafter?

It will be interesting to see the decision that is made----to see how much they try and capture some of the holiday week revenue.

Well as of their original statement, they were intending to start operations on the 18th iirc. I know they are chomping at the bit to open, they view the holiday periods as a major recouping point (as they should) and likely would be willing to take a hit to the snowmaking budget just to get people on the hill and spending money in the bar and kitchen. ESPECIALLY over the long holiday.

Just my .02 though. MAN I wish we could get a little help from Ma Nature and Ullr. Ugh.

Do Work

Most of the people who ski there over the holiday week are, in my estimation, pass holders. It's just not worth it for the marginal revenue. If anything, they should blow the top as that ha a better chance of sticking around and will cut down on time to open once the weather turns.

You're vastly underestimating how much magic skiers drink.

skithetrees

On an unrelated note, I was just checking out Okeno's report to see how other mountains are fairing. Only 16 trails, wow! But impressively, they say they can cover the whole mountain in 10 days if the weather cooperates. That's pretty incredible. Who knows how deep that cover is, but impressive nonetheless.

Hado226

You're vastly underestimating how much magic skiers drink.
So true. I've long said Magic is a Tavern/Bar with a (sometimes 2) ski lift(s). Pretty sure all revenue models reflect that priority.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MMP

Magic is a drinking hill with a skiing problem.

I'm a BYOB guy this year!! Going full "get amped" with the lunch.