• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

Edd

I’m 30 minutes into the first episode and this is really good. Haven’t gotten to the Jay issues yet but the discussion about his jail time is fascinating.

thebigo

At jay with kids for first time this weekend. Looking for restaurant recommendations. Don't mind driving. Is there anything comparable to matterhorn at SR/rack at SL/lookout at K? Something with arcade games for the kids, bar food and draft beer?

deadheadskier

Staff member
At jay with kids for first time this weekend. Looking for restaurant recommendations. Don't mind driving. Is there anything comparable to matterhorn at SR/rack at SL/lookout at K? Something with arcade games for the kids, bar food and draft beer?

I'm unaware of anything local to Jay like the Rack or Matterhorn. You likely would need to drive to Stowe or Burlington.

Best bet is to probably eat wherever is open at Jay and then after, put some shorts on and have beers at the bar in the water park and let the kids use the adjacent arcade.

LONGBOARDR

There is also a arcade at Stateside inside Clips and Reels if you want to avoid humidity and chlorine.
For food I'd stay off mountain and head to the Belfry on 242 (Montgomery side) which is a locals place with good food and atmosphere.
Jay Village Inn (on Jay side) is good also.
The Snow Shoe pub in Montgomery may have some arcade games but have not been in there since COVID.
Hope this helps

Smellytele

I'm unaware of anything local to Jay like the Rack or Matterhorn. You likely would need to drive to Stowe or Burlington.

Best bet is to probably eat wherever is open at Jay and then after, put some shorts on and have beers at the bar in the water park and let the kids use the adjacent arcade.
The snowshoe

AdironRider

I've heard very good reviews for Omakase on the Montgomery side as well, but haven't been able to make it there yet.

Zand

Jay seems to have taken notice of the ire surrounding Killington mothballing most of the mountain early. The Tram will be open at least one extra week.

Newpylong

I was thinking the same thing. That chair has saved the day on probably half my visits to jay.
As soon as you get into a 6 pack (even without any other profile changes to mitigate wind) the lift by nature already can operate in substantially windier conditions due to weight. Many operators are installing them even when a quad would be sufficient capacity wise due to this benefit. I suspect it will be an improvement all around.

Edd

Finally finished both parts of this interview. I’m unfamiliar with Mark Johnson but I couldn’t help but feel bad for Stenger towards the end of it. Johnson just kept asking over and over how Stegner didn’t know, and finally at one point admits “I’m not a finance guy but…” Based on this interview alone, Stegner struck me as sincere, remorseful and doing what he can to make it right after his life and reputation was destroyed. But, I’ll never know for sure if he’s telling the full truth.

BodeMiller1

Truants at the end of the Kancamagus highway. The Spa in Colebrook, NH.
Hope that helps.

Fishski

There is also a arcade at Stateside inside Clips and Reels if you want to avoid humidity and chlorine.
For food I'd stay off mountain and head to the Belfry on 242 (Montgomery side) which is a locals place with good food and atmosphere.
Jay Village Inn (on Jay side) is good also.
The Snow Shoe pub in Montgomery may have some arcade games but have not been in there since COVID.
Hope this helps
I'll second the Belfry. Just ate there the first time this past week. Will be back!

Zand

Truants at the end of the Kancamagus highway. The Spa in Colebrook, NH.
Hope that helps.
There's a good barbeque joint in Portland...Wilson County Barbeque. But like your choices it has jack shit to do with Jay Peak.

Since someone brought up Montgomery...Black Lantern Inn has a cozy little restaurant. The whole town actually kind of has a cool vibe.

• Haha
Reactions: Edd

BodeMiller1

There's a good barbeque joint in Portland...Wilson County Barbeque. But like your choices it has jack shit to do with Jay Peak.

Since someone brought up Montgomery...Black Lantern Inn has a cozy little restaurant. The whole town actually kind of has a cool vibe.
I thought they'd travelling to Maine or something. 👀

Killingtime

The Tramside Foundry Pub and Grille is not bad if you don't feel like driving. We've been there a few times and had good experiences. Excellent burgers. Decent beer selection too. The restaurant at the Stateside is low level hotel food. Heard Belfry was good but haven't tried it.

EPB

Finally finished both parts of this interview. I’m unfamiliar with Mark Johnson but I couldn’t help but feel bad for Stenger towards the end of it. Johnson just kept asking over and over how Stegner didn’t know, and finally at one point admits “I’m not a finance guy but…” Based on this interview alone, Stegner struck me as sincere, remorseful and doing what he can to make it right after his life and reputation was destroyed. But, I’ll never know for sure if he’s telling the full truth.
I had the same reaction. Being unafraid to offend is a great skill to have as an interviewer, but it was really painful to listen to him just ask the same generic question over and over again. Johnson should have been prepared to say something like "at x (or y, z, etc.) moment, you should have known, or asked questions a, b, c, etc." Instead, it came off like he thought he could just bully Stenger into a confession.

BenedictGomez

I cant believe nobody's mentioned Alice's Table at Jay Peak, it's fantastic food. The only place I ever bother eating while skiing Jay Peak. Doubt it's open this late in the season, but definitely check it out next year if you havent already.