• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

River19

Not to keep this off topic but.....sorry

That's what started the conversation I had w/ JPR staff - other guests couldn't believe the behavior wasn't addressed.

That is one of those situations where you may lose one customer by directly addressing their bad behavior but if you look the other way, the 15 other paying customers that were impacted could be lost instead due to lack of response by management to poor behavior.

LONGBOARDR

That is one of those situations where you may lose one customer by directly addressing their bad behavior but if you look the other way, the 15 other paying customers that were impacted could be lost instead due to lack of response by management to poor behavior.

I'm not a hockey person but to be fair there is some pretty rotten behavior/attitudes by skiers as well.

Trail conditions were pretty scary, Jet was beyond skied off. Someone said the winch cat was not functioning properly and the upper section was not groomed. I know it was down for part of last season.

While a lot of us are crabby at the slow start, there are a bunch of folks around Jay and elsewhere that were looking for a bump in the paycheck from the season starting up in earnest. Especially the young paycheck-paycheck kids. empty bars restaurants and stores are not good for anybody. I hope it picks up soon.

Seasons greetings, health and happiness to all!

VTKilarney

As far as I am aware, very profitable companies that know a LOT about customer service definitely don't follow this policy. Having said that, I can appreciate the frustration with an online world that makes it super easy to complain about every little thing and broadcast that to the world. But everyone is competing in this landscape.

The risk I see is that these responses arguably make it look like Jay Peak has a snarky retort to any complaint whatsoever. As a potential customer, that's definitely not what I want to see. I'm okay with being snarky to a jerk, but some customers are going to have legitimate complaints. It's those legitimate complaints that I want to know are being addressed.

For example, there is definitely a theme in the reviews that hockey families are out of control. Yet, other than claiming to ban a specific team, I don't see any real attempt at curbing the unruly behavior. That would make me think twice about staying at Jay as compared to another ski resort.

Once, when staying at the Double Tree in South Portland, Maine, I struck up a conversation with the executive lounge attendant. She disclosed to me that hockey families are by far the worst guests. The parents are just as bad as the kids, just with a much higher bar tab. So this phenomenon does not appear to be unique to Jay Peak.

dlague

Hockey Families don't surprise anyone.
Steve Wright did the Right thing !

Like saying ski racing families. Very narrow minded.

Ski race families are not any better! We had the unfortunate experience of staying at Sugarbush Inn on weekend of a big race event and the kids took over the place the chaperons lost control! I saw things I did not need to see! Any event that invites large numbers of teenagers and even younger kids is going to be faced with chaos! It sucks for those who were not expecting it! Lucky for me it was a comp!

BenedictGomez

Any event that invites large numbers of teenagers and even younger kids is going to be faced with chaos!

I definitely don't agree with that. I'm on-board with the view that it usually comes down to the parent's accountability (or lack thereof).

dlague

I definitely don't agree with that. I'm on-board with the view that it usually comes down to the parent's accountability (or lack thereof).

I am sure you have skied on days where ski races are being held - it is always a mad house. Parents are skiing on their own or in the lodge. Same applies to where they are staying. I will give you that some parents are responsible but more are not!

steamboat1

I am sure you have skied on days where ski races are being held - it is always a mad house. Parents are skiing on their own or in the lodge. Same applies to where they are staying. I will give you that some parents are responsible but more are not!

Sounds like you agree with BG.

dlague

A new bombshell of sorts:

In an attempt to try and manage what are understandably high expectations, this is what we have for you this weekend with respect to snow/lifts trails. Snow: A lot of it (I shoveled it all day, I know), 16-18” in the past 24 hours, still bombing now and 50”+ this week. Lifts: Our Tram is getting some repair work on its cable and, as such, will not roll this week. We’re still expecting it the week of December 19th. As a result of repair work on the Tram cable, we can’t run the Bonnie, although we do plan to have it sometime next week along with the Flyer that is scheduled to be inspected then as well. We’ll have the Jet accessing everything we have on Stateside along with the Taxi and moving carpet. We wish we had more uphill capacity for this weekend but what you find here, you’re going to enjoy. For another piece of perspective, this time last year we had one lift and one run with what snow we could scrape together. To say the least, we are extremely grateful for this strong start to the season, and we look forward to seeing Passholders at our Passholder appreciation party tomorrow; 4p in the IR. Travel safely all.

Sincerely,
Steve Wright | GM

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

I'm not understanding why they can't run the Bonnie if they're working on the Tram cable.

snoseek

I'm not understanding why they can't run the Bonnie if they're working on the Tram cable.

I'm thinking they weren't planning on all this snow and are understaffed but who knows

BenedictGomez

Goldberg has been trying to show that the EB-5 conditions have been met. He argues that at least 10 jobs have been created for each investment in the various Jay Peak developments, even if the specific part of the project investors bought into hasn’t come to fruition, because indirect jobs have been created, too. “It’s not just the bellhop at the hotel or the housekeeper who cleans the rooms or the shuttle driver and the construction jobs,” he says. “When you walk into a [hotel] room, there are also bedspreads and curtains and alarm clocks that were made.”

In Vietnam and China.

Kind of a worrying quote, as it suggests he doesn't seem to understand how the EB-5 program works. Well highlights the complete and bogus fraud of "indirect jobs" that I've been speaking about for years though.