• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you ski moguls?

MadMadWorld

I had a complete knee replacement when I was in my 20s due to an accident. I am 33 and ski bumps all the time. I would say I'm a fairly aggressive bump skier and I really don't experience much pain. It usually hurts the most when I have sat in the car for a few hours after a day of skiing and try and stand up.

Brad J

That's a misconception. You want a ski with slightly stiffer tails in the bumps to serve as a platform. A ski with softer tails will make it easier to get in the back seat. It's the tips and underfoot where you want flex for a ski to perform well in the bumps.

that is describing my old rossi 4s they were the best citizen bump ski of all time

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Agreed, but to be fair - skiing moguls the way most people do can be very bad for the knees.
Domeskier makes a superb point. If I put an intermediate skier on a double black (without moguls), I would expect a bad result! Moguls require an additional refinement of the skill set.

My favorite old school mogul video

Looks like perfect conditions - and I certainly didn't see any knee-busting moves by any of the skiers. I suppose I should recognize the area at which it was filmed, but I don't. Help anyone?

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

Looks like perfect conditions - and I certainly didn't see any knee-busting moves by any of the skiers. I suppose I should recognize the area at which it was filmed, but I don't. Help anyone?

Killington. Gotta love the old gondola :)

SkiFanE

I can't even imagine skiing bumps on old straight long skis anymore. I did it on 205's but was also 20 years younger. Needles Eye looked great in that vid.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Honestly, I don't think new skis are any easier. I loved my 185 SL skis in bumps. The flexed like mad lol.

deadheadskier

Staff member
that is describing my old rossi 4s they were the best citizen bump ski of all time

yup

My dad had the 4S around that time. I had the 4M. Pretty much the exact same ski only the 4M was a little softer in the tip. Likewise with the next gen 7S and 7M. I thought the 4 series were much better skis than the 7 series. Also with the GS skis of the time. I had both the 4G and 7G. I liked the 4 better.

jaytrem

I took a pair of my old bump skis out for some runs a couple years ago. They still skied great, but the one thing that surprised me was how much snow shot into my face with them compared to my newer bump skis. Not sure if it's the rouded tips compared to the pointy tips, big improvement though. Anybody else experience something similar?

SkiFanE

Pole length - looking at the vids, their poles look sooooo long. Last pair I got are technically "too short" for me - finally ignored store advice - but i love them and so much easier to flick poles, or something. Or maybe I trip on them less lmao.

bvibert

Staff member
I like my poles on the shorter side, though I have found that it's possible to go too short. Right now they're just a little shorter than what would be recommended for my height, but not so short that they're useless on groomers. For a while I had some poles that were so short they were good in big bumps, but didn't do me much good anywhere else. Those were what was referred to as "clown poles" around here.

jrmagic

I tried poles 2 and 4 inches shorter than my regular ones and found they were more trouble when not in the bumps than my regular ones are in the bumps so I stick with the regular ones.

Last edited: