• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay, Burke, or Killington this weekend?

Brenden

Need some advice. This will most likely be my last weekend of the year barring another storm. I've never skied Jay before. But's it's a long drive from NYC! They have like Colorado snow totals this year though. Will Jay be worth it the weekend of 3/14?

VTKilarney

I'd say Jay. They will hold snow better during this week's warmup. Burke hasn't gotten as much snow as Jay or Killington and isn't as steep.

But keep an eye on this weekend's weather.

Brenden

Thanks! What about Sugarbush or Jay? Both are expecting some snow on Saturday and Sunday. Any major differences between these two?

crank

Burke doesn't get Jay's traffic though. I skied both in the past 3 weeks: Jay on 2/21 & 22 and Burke on 3/7. Burke had better coverage and overall better conditions (less ice) than Jay...even after 7-10" of fresh powder Sunday at Jay, for the most part Burke was just in better shape... Of course that is after 2 more weeks of winter.

Jay is a bigger mountain and has steeper terrain than Burke and is mostly about the glades. Sugarbush has Castlerock and Mt Ellen and Paradise. (have to say I have not skied Slidebrook) All 3 have glades and tree skiing. Jay is best for glades/trees, but ,imo, also has the worst grooming of the 3.

VTKilarney

I agree that the trails at Burke have been less prone to ice than at Jay. But I'm not sure if there is a huge difference in the trees. I'm also wondering what the warm weather this week is going to do to the trees at Burke. My gut instinct tells me that the trees will still be okay this weekend, but I wouldn't want to guarantee it. Burke definitely has not gotten the amount of snow that Jay and/or Sugarbush has.