• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Creative snow reports

VTKilarney

Mont Orford posted a very creative snow report for today. They reported their conditions as "groomed powder".

CoolMike

Earlier this season Sunday River posted something like, "We're not going to lie: Conditions aren't great out there today." After a December rain storm I believe.

therobertcollins

"After 4-5" of natural snow we saw a turn to freezing rain, ice and now light rain showers. We've regroomed several top to bottom routes but calling it breakable crust would be charitable. We'll sell you a ticket but we'd rather not. Snowmaking resumes tonight and cold temps with natural snow in the forecast have us feeling good. Pull up the covers Jay Nation, after a fun holiday week- you've earned the rest."

Great Jay peak report. Honest to the core.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I noticed that Burke dropped their base depths from the morning Emailed reports.

They also apparently figured out that "PP/P" does not mean "packed powder over powder surface" but instead, "primary surface is packed powder; secondary surface is powder."

DaffyJeffy

I actually was a snow reporter last year. I found this in an old Skiing magazine from the 80's and definitely could relate!

Attachments

• 102514_8380.jpg
    102514_8380.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 141

benski

"Primary conditions: Rocky"-mount Hermon, Israel snow report in February.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

How about this disclaimer

Trail conditions, including groomed surfaces, change constantly due to many factors including, but not limited to, skier traffic, weather, snowmaking, and other factors, manmade and natural. - Gunstock

or

after the 40+ degree temps the last two days. The snow may be a little firm today after the refreeze, so hit the repair shop and get a quick tune. - Jay Peak

or

The off-piste is highly variable and has changed significantly over the past 2 days. Proceed with caution. - Sugarbush

Meanwhile, Stowe is making it sound like perfect conditions.

Oh no groomed out the bump trails!
Thursday as falling temperatures overnight hardened Wednesday's soft, spring-like snow. No problem, our grooming team was out all night refreshing the corduroy on 77 of your favorite trails, including Outer Limits, Cascade, and Superstar. - Killington

mulva

"After 4-5" of natural snow we saw a turn to freezing rain, ice and now light rain showers. We've regroomed several top to bottom routes but calling it breakable crust would be charitable. We'll sell you a ticket but we'd rather not. Snowmaking resumes tonight and cold temps with natural snow in the forecast have us feeling good. Pull up the covers Jay Nation, after a fun holiday week- you've earned the rest."

Great Jay peak report. Honest to the core.

Was that the Sunday after New Year's? I was there! Skiing in the rain on on the Jet lift wasn't so bad. I actually had a pretty fun time considering. That being said, if I wasn't already committed and 8 hours from home, I would not have bought a ticket that day :) Doing Killington this weekend and expected more of the same.

therobertcollins

Was that the Sunday after New Year's? I was there! Skiing in the rain on on the Jet lift wasn't so bad. I actually had a pretty fun time considering. That being said, if I wasn't already committed and 8 hours from home, I would not have bought a ticket that day :) Doing Killington this weekend and expected more of the same.

Yeah, same, the occasional constant heavy rain kind of sucked, but it was fun, and the snow was decent. I would no way have payed for a ticket, but I have a season pass and it was worth it.

Krikaya

This is the only "honest" site I've been able to find, mainly because it's open to everyone.

http://www.onthesnow.com/new-england/ski-report-reviews.html

It's amusing to see the variations in the reporting for the same mountain on the same day. The resort shills/fake reviews are easy to spot. Can't really afford to ski out west so I'm stuck here in NE. Anyone know any other sites for "honest" reporting?