• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I have a gear buying problem

ironhippy

I wear my stuff till its crapped out and replace with easiest most sensible purchase. I never demo because it takes away from ski time.

I am like this too, it sometimes puts me in a bad spot. I had ripped my ski pants beyond the point of usefulness last season and waited until the day before my trip to Denver last Dec before I bought a new pair (at full price!)

Everytime there is a demo at my local hill i think "i should try some skis"
but then I realize they'll have to adjust bindings, etc. etc. etc. and I'm back on the lift to get in more runs. I like my skis well enough.

Edd

Love to demo skis and buy gear. I do have a bit of a problem. Even after buying three pairs of skis since summer (need to sell one of those, changed my mind), I'm still am looking to get a set of carvers. Also, after 4 or 5 seasons on my boots, I'm scanning around for a replacement. Pretty much read gear reviews non-stop.

dlague

I'd like a better ski for straight hardpack days (something with rocker) and a ski for soft/spring bumps. My Surface Watch Lifes are really best suited for powder but I'm trying to force them to do everything.
They are stiff/heavy with no rocker at all...very flat ski.

Which sites do you guys like? I've seen some nice deals on Skiessentials.com recently.

Evo.com, levelninesports.com, skis.com, thehouse.com and more.

BenedictGomez

Is fall generally still the best time to buy boots, or is now (end of season) just as good? The gf 100% needs new boots, and I probably should too, been on these for 3 seasons and I'm beginning to notice it in the steeps.

dlague

Is fall generally still the best time to buy boots, or is now (end of season) just as good? The gf 100% needs new boots, and I probably should too, been on these for 3 seasons and I'm beginning to notice it in the steeps.

IMO if you go to a on the mountain ski shop - deals can be found. Got my boots at 60% off at Jay Peak on the last day of the season two years ago. Local ski shops are also having sales right now - Example Ski Fanatics in Campton, NH is trying to clear inventory. If you know the boot size and are interested in online you can get great prices but now is not the time. I am patient during the summer months and identify what I am looking for then start hunting and generally pull the trigger around July/August. Tent sales around that time are also a good way to go. I would not drive all over the place though since that defeats the purpose call ahead if visiting a ski shop.

SkiFanE

With boots, I think it's harder to find a deal in the size you may need. If you 100% need something next year - and the size is available now and they are 50% or more off, I'd pull trigger now - or the size could be gone by fall.

SkiFanE

I am like this too, it sometimes puts me in a bad spot. I had ripped my ski pants beyond the point of usefulness last season and waited until the day before my trip to Denver last Dec before I bought a new pair (at full price!)

Everytime there is a demo at my local hill i think "i should try some skis"
but then I realize they'll have to adjust bindings, etc. etc. etc. and I'm back on the lift to get in more runs. I like my skis well enough.
Well even if you pay full price once in awhile, you're still way ahead of all the self-professed gear whores here!!!

gmcunni

i like window shopping for gear. pretty happy with my skis, not looking ot replace them and not even sure what type of ski i'd be looking for (not much of a quiver guy).

i do want new boots. did some shopping before the season but didn't find anything i like, will try again this off-season.

i have a weak spot for jackets. i'm really looking for a new shell, one with the right pocket count for the right price.

yeah, so i just ordered a new shell from STP... not perfect but an extra pocket that i want and got a good price.

catsup948

Also if you at Jay Peak anytime soon they had some very nice deals on skis at the mountain shop at Stateside. DPS wailer 105 hybrids for 500, 2015 volkl mantras for 419. As good a deal as online for those skis.