• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2016-17 Edition

dlague

Colorado 5th and 6th grade passports! If you plan on skiing in Colorado then the 5th grade passport is free for three days at each resort and the 6th grade passport cost $105 for four days at each resort. There are 20 resort in the Ski Colorado's First Class Program

http://coloradoski.com/passport

yeggous

Big news from the Mount Washington Valley.

Attitash / Wildcat is completely changing their discount ticket arrangements for this year. We've already discussed that they are no longer offering the Vertical Value card. In it's place comes a whole new offering of options targeted at ski club members. There are advance purchase vouchers, day in advance online sales, and walk up rates. All require your ski club ID to pick up the ticket at the window.

Purchase online up to a day in advance:
Saturday/Holiday: adult $60 (retail $79), Jr / Sr $45 (retail $59/$54)
Sunday - Friday: adult $45 (retail $75), Jr / Sr $40 (retail $54/$50)

Walk-up rate:
Saturday/Holiday: adult $70 (retail $79), Jr / Sr $50 (retail $59/$54)
Sunday - Friday: adult $55 (retail $75), Jr / Sr $45 (retail $54/$50)

Appreciation Days:
Thurs, Jan 5 - $35
Fri, Jan 6 - $35
Sat, Jan 7 - $45
Sun, Jan 8 - $35
Fri, Feb 10 - $35
Sat, Feb 11 - $45
Sun, Feb 12 - $35
Fri, Mar 17 - $17
Sat, Mar 18 - $45
Sun, Mar 19 - $35

There are also bulk ticket order options with price $50-$65 per adult, $40-$50 depending on the volume ordered.

dlague

Pretty good idea. Plus they're bringing in adult revenue for each "free" ticket, which will encourage families to ski together, buy lunch, etc...

All of the passport deals are designed around additional revenues coming in from the adults. However, We did not use passports to determine where we were going but more like target based on adult deals we had and use our kids passport to get him in for free. Only time that was not feasible was when the free ticket came with a requirement to buy an adult lift ticket. We often did not go to those.

Smellytele

Attitash / Wildcat is completely changing their discount ticket arrangements for this year. We've already discussed that they are no longer offering the Vertical Value card. In it's place comes a whole new offering of options targeted at ski club members. There are advance purchase vouchers, day in advance online sales, and walk up rates. All require your ski club ID to pick up the ticket at the window.

Walk-up rate:

Appreciation Days:
Thurs, Jan 5 - $35
Fri, Jan 6 - $35
Sat, Jan 7 - $45
Sun, Jan 8 - $35
Fri, Feb 10 - $35
Sat, Feb 11 - $45
Sun, Feb 12 - $35
Fri, Mar 17 - $17
Sat, Mar 18 - $45
Sun, Mar 19 - $35

There are also bulk ticket order options with price $50-$65 per adult, $40-$50 depending on the volume ordered.

So how do you buy on-line in advance with a club membership? Also is it like Stowe where
[h=4]THE SKI CLUB OR COUNCIL MUST BE ASSOCIATED WITH A SKI COUNCIL THAT IS A MEMBER OF THE NATIONAL SKI COUNCIL FEDERATION?[/h]

Jully

Walk-up rate:

Appreciation Days:
Thurs, Jan 5 - $35
Fri, Jan 6 - $35
Sat, Jan 7 - $45
Sun, Jan 8 - $35
Fri, Feb 10 - $35
Sat, Feb 11 - $45
Sun, Feb 12 - $35
Fri, Mar 17 - $17
Sat, Mar 18 - $45
Sun, Mar 19 - $35

Wow, that is a totally different structure! I wonder why they are targeting ski club members so much more.

bdfreetuna

I don't really care how fast they sell out, I'm online 7:00AM sharp. Rather have them go to A-Zone members anyway.

yeggous

So how do you buy on-line in advance with a club membership? Also is it like Stowe where
[h=4]THE SKI CLUB OR COUNCIL MUST BE ASSOCIATED WITH A SKI COUNCIL THAT IS A MEMBER OF THE NATIONAL SKI COUNCIL FEDERATION?[/h]

Each club or council must submit a registration form to Peak Resorts along with a sample membership card which must be shown to get the tickets. A link with login information will be given to each club or council's contact, and he or she is responsible for distributing it to the members. Your club need not have a national affiliation, but must register in advance with Peak Resorts.

I can only speculate as to why they are focusing on clubs. I can tell you that the Mount Washington Valley has a very strong and well organized ski club presence. You'll see some of their logos hung above the windows in the Wildcat pub. Maybe they are trying to encourage people to join clubs to build loyalty to the valley and their mountains. Or maybe they are just trying to lessen the blowback from eliminating the Vertical Value cards. The clubs in the valley already receive significant walk-up discounts at other mountains in the area. Peak Resorts might be afraid of losing market share if club members were forced to chose between the pass and window rate. I suspect the real answer is a bit of both.

As far as appreciation days go, this is an obvious move. By far the busiest day of the year in the bar is the EICSL race day. There is a line all day from 10:30am until they close. I think they're trying to generate more of those days, which have been moving more towards Bretton Woods in recent years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't really care how fast they sell out, I'm online 7:00AM sharp. Rather have them go to A-Zone members anyway.

I'd rather see AZ members get these deals as well, however this site sees more traffic from lurkers on Google searches than it does from active members. Posting such specific information might actually work against you trying to help others.

I'm of the opinion that deals with limited availability should be discussed in private. That's the way it used to be with skiVT deals. I recall not long ago purchasing these tickets via snail mail a few days after the on sale date and still getting tickets.