• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

slatham

white out /uts/ vertigo was better than expected today and rotd.
worth the trip to pick up the passes and take 8 or so runs.

blowing on show off, Wand and around the base area.

good coverage really and better than last xmas week.

when it warms up later this week it should be fun
Ha exactly what I did, and I agree 100%.

IceEidolon

300 line is the snowmaking pump and pipe that supplies Hocus Pocus and Showoff (also pretty much the only areas with electricity for fan guns). 400 line feeds up Wizard to the West side or up Carumba to Wand then Medium then Upper Carpet with branch lines. Both had a lot of guns running today.

IceEidolon

For posterity's sake that's Whitetail discovering that their (apparently) only transfer pump is broken and announcing that they'll be out of action for at least a couple days while it's repaired.

https://www.facebook.com/1000635959...Sf4EjtwgAPWcLkqYsGXg9ZLSNfnK9P51ZpBl/?app=fbl

That's Laurel Mtn who also lost their pumping ability during this cold snap.

Sound familiar?

This kind of thing does happen every so often.

IceEidolon

Whitetail was fairly well cared for under Snowtime, while Laurel was recently rebuilt from old bones left to sit for years - both have deep pockets to expedite holiday season repairs, but they have very different histories.

skiur

For posterity's sake that's Whitetail discovering that their (apparently) only transfer pump is broken and announcing that they'll be out of action for at least a couple days while it's repaired.

https://www.facebook.com/1000635959...Sf4EjtwgAPWcLkqYsGXg9ZLSNfnK9P51ZpBl/?app=fbl

That's Laurel Mtn who also lost their pumping ability during this cold snap.

Sound familiar?

This kind of thing does happen every so often.

Sure, but that's probably the only major problem they have had lately. If the pump was the only problem magic has had in the last few years I doubt anyone would be saying anything. Most people gave magic a pass for 3 years here outside of Hugh, but eventually enough is enough.

doublediamond

So Vail now has 3 major pump failures at resorts they purchased? Shit happens but when something that unlikely happens thrice in two years is a completely different story.

jimmywilson69

Whitetail was fairly well cared for under Snowtime, while Laurel was recently rebuilt from old bones left to sit for years - both have deep pockets to expedite holiday season repairs, but they have very different histories.

Oh I'm well aware of both. We used to ski Laurel in College with snowmobiles while it was closed. I need to get back there before Vail doesn't renew the lease with the State

Newpylong

Sounds like my old hill. Two trails with live air and dead water lol.

Does that go up Black Magic all the way up and tie into Wizard at the old triple terminus? I've never seen it before I assumed Witch was downfed into Black Line and thats all there was in that area.

drjeff

Does that go up Black Magic all the way up and tie into Wizard at the old triple terminus? I've never seen it before I assumed Witch was downfed into Black Line and thats all there was in that area.
Probably going to have to check out your old hill, if it's the Whale you are referring to, this season, as my college freshman daughter has 2 race weekends there this season...

Heck her race weekend schedule of a 10 day Sunday River training camp (starting next Tuesday) then 2 weekends at Jay, 2 weekends at the Whale, 1 weekend at Dartmouth, and then if (more likely when in her case) a weekend for the Eastern Championships at Sugarloaf, sounds like multiple fun road trips for me this year!

slatham

No that swings back into Witch via the traverse that goes across to the intersection of Red Line and Witch. No hydrants IIRC.

Newpylong

No that swings back into Witch via the traverse that goes across to the intersection of Red Line and Witch. No hydrants IIRC.
Oh. So there is the pipe set on Witch where it meets Black Line and this other set with goes up Black Magic a bit then swings over to Witch too?

Newpylong

Probably going to have to check out your old hill, if it's the Whale you are referring to, this season, as my college freshman daughter has 2 race weekends there this season...

Heck her race weekend schedule of a 10 day Sunday River training camp (starting next Tuesday) then 2 weekends at Jay, 2 weekends at the Whale, 1 weekend at Dartmouth, and then if (more likely when in her case) a weekend for the Eastern Championships at Sugarloaf, sounds like multiple fun road trips for me this year!

Good luck hopefully they're even open. They can't make snow to save their lives. Judging from the footage I saw of their delayed opening from two days ago they barely made anything from the chair unload down to the race trail. It won't fair this week well at all.