• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go the day after Christmas?

rocks860

Turns out I have the day after Christmas off and I'm wanting to get out for the first time this season. Sounds like sugarbush has some great snow but I can only think it's going to be super packed that day. I was thinking maybe pico. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zermatt

Pico has 5 trails open for Monday (maybe 2 runs) and they are capable (willing) of making snow on maybe 2 trails at a time right now. Their natural snow trails got decimated today.

If they get some natural snow things could come back nicely, if not, I would go north.

rocks860

That's what I was concerned about. Maybe I'll just got to the bush, looks like there's a good amount of snow in the forecast

bdfreetuna

Did Pico and Killington's trails really get decimated, or did they lower their trail count per preservation in the midst of a rain/thaw - refreeze cycle?

Looking at my lawn in western Mass we still have several inches more snow on the ground than we did before Saturday.

While natural trails may be temporarily unskiable (for now, due to ice), I don't think it's all as bad as Pico's trail count today would indicate.

For day after Christmas keep an eye on which locations are getting further possible thaw-freeze cycles around Christmas. Northern VT may avoid seeing additional above freezing temps which would further delay conditions improving. You might want to think of it as a true early season day and focus on who's doing the best job resurfacing their snowmaking trails and grooming.

Zermatt

I'm hoping you are right, but their snow report around noon today said the natural snow trails are done until they get more snow.

Maybe you are right and there is a good rock hard ice base down there and 6" could freshen them up. Horizon cam was showing some very bare ground at the summit though.

I still have snow in CT...but they got much more rain quantity then we did.

While I was sulking the new 18z weather models started coming in and they were very snowy. Might be wish casting, but I'll take it.

Jully

Was just thinking of this myself. Honestly sugarbush isn't a bad option depending on whrre you're coming from. Maybe Burke or obviously wildcat too, but sugarbush will have more open and spreads crowds out great.

bdfreetuna

I haven't paid a lot of attention to how much more rain parts of VT got vs here. I suspect it's an all-of-the-above situation depending where you go, and how much base the natty trails had to begin with.

Kind of glad I was planning a break in skiing until after the new year due to holidays/family/etc. 2 whole weeks for winter to re-assert itself.

drjeff

Historically the 26th isn't that crazy busy a day. Most people are at home or a relative's for the 25th and travel up on the 26th

This year the way the calendar, and most school vacations works, my hunch is the 27th - 30th is when the big crowds will be on the hill, with some off the masses heading home on the 30th/31st for New Year's Eve parties

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

rocks860

Historically the 26th isn't that crazy busy a day. Most people are at home or a relative's for the 25th and travel up on the 26th

This year the way the calendar, and most school vacations works, my hunch is the 27th - 30th is when the big crowds will be on the hill, with some off the masses heading home on the 30th/31st for New Year's Eve parties

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Well that would definitely be nice. It will be a long day trip to get to the bush but I've done it before and don't mind it too much. Plus its usually a quiet week at work.

Smellytele

Did Pico and Killington's trails really get decimated, or did they lower their trail count per preservation in the midst of a rain/thaw - refreeze cycle?

Looking at my lawn in western Mass we still have several inches more snow on the ground than we did before Saturday.

While natural trails may be temporarily unskiable (for now, due to ice), I don't think it's all as bad as Pico's trail count today would indicate.

For day after Christmas keep an eye on which locations are getting further possible thaw-freeze cycles around Christmas. Northern VT may avoid seeing additional above freezing temps which would further delay conditions improving. You might want to think of it as a true early season day and focus on who's doing the best job resurfacing their snowmaking trails and grooming.

Reports show K and P didn't get a lot from Saturday's snow (NH got more from this one)

rocks860

Any other ideas? Sugarbush is about as far as I can reasonably make it for a day trup

oldtimer

first day out for season? why not somewhere south like Mt Snow- unless we get new, you are looking for lots of snowmaking firepower and good grooming. Game changes if some locations get enough new to soften what happened Sunday. It rained everywhere. Also, I agree that boxing day is generally not a big crowd.

rocks860

Vt is showing a mix precip day at least from sugarbush down. NH is showing snow. Not buying it yet though being a week out.

Yeah I saw that wintry mix when I just looked although yesterday or the day before it said 1-3 inches of snow on Sunday so I don't trust it much. I'll have to keep watching.

rocks860

first day out for season? why not somewhere south like Mt Snow- unless we get new, you are looking for lots of snowmaking firepower and good grooming. Game changes if some locations get enough new to soften what happened Sunday. It rained everywhere. Also, I agree that boxing day is generally not a big crowd.

I haven't been to mount snow in ages, probably at least 15 years

rocks860

Plattekill.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I've only been once and sadly I went on a day where there was a lot of snow but all of the woods had a bulletproof crust on it so it was not so awesome

prsboogie

Headed to Ragged on the 26th to burn my free Expo ticket and some Liftopia cash that needed spending.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hado226

Berkshire East. Lots of snowmaking firepower per acre. Good solid base from last week's Monday/Saturday events. Closing Sunday preserved most of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rocks860

Berkshire East. Lots of snowmaking firepower per acre. Good solid base from last week's Monday/Saturday events. Closing Sunday preserved most of it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've been meaning to check out Berkshire east, I'll keep that in mind