18 year old killed at Sunday River

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

18 year old killed at Sunday River

Not sure what was going on here but the Tempest trail is not a tubing trail that I know of.

NEWRY, Maine
    An 18-year-old from New Hampshire was killed early Wednesday morning and another person was seriously injured in an accident at a Maine ski resort, officials said.

The Oxford County Sheriff's Office said the person killed in the accident at Sunday River was an 18-year-old man.

A 17-year-old boy from New Hampshire was taken to a hospital with serious injuries.

The victims' names have not been released.

A spokeswoman for Sunday River said the accident was reported at 2 a.m. on the Tempest Trail, which is an advanced trail.

The victims were riding on the same inflatable tube when it went off the trail and crashed into a tree, deputies said.
    SIKSKIER

Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    Not sure what was going on here but the Tempest trail is not a tubing trail that I know of.

NEWRY, Maine
    An 18-year-old from New Hampshire was killed early Wednesday morning and another person was seriously injured in an accident at a Maine ski resort, officials said.

The Oxford County Sheriff's Office said the person killed in the accident at Sunday River was an 18-year-old man.

A 17-year-old boy from New Hampshire was taken to a hospital with serious injuries.

The victims' names have not been released.

A spokeswoman for Sunday River said the accident was reported at 2 a.m. on the Tempest Trail, which is an advanced trail.

The victims were riding on the same inflatable tube when it went off the trail and crashed into a tree, deputies said.
    Because its not a tubing trail doesnt mean kids cant take a tube down it

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

A few years ago someone died at Wildcat sledding down at night. I have sled down an old ski hill at evergreen valley back in the 80's at night while fun I still have a scar on my hip from wiping out and sliding out of control. Also used a sled in tuckermans from about 50 feet below the bottom of the headwall and that scared the shit out of me as well.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

I've seen kids during the day take sleds out onto easier trails, like Dream Maker, but Tempest is fairly narrow at the headwall and rather steep. If they went even halfway up it, you could get some serious speed going with trees, hydrants, and lift towers all real close. Horrible tragedy. I bet SR starts cracking down real hard on sledding on ski trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Jully View Post
    I've seen kids during the day take sleds out onto easier trails, like Dream Maker, but Tempest is fairly narrow at the headwall and rather steep. If they went even halfway up it, you could get some serious speed going with trees, hydrants, and lift towers all real close. Horrible tragedy.
    Tubing on that trail is suicidal.

Someone died at Mount Snow a few years ago tubing. Crashed into the Carinthia lodge deck.
    2019-2020 43 days and counting...
    Thunder Ridge: 12/7, 12/8, 12/21, 12/26, 12/27, 12/28, 12/29, 12/31, 1/4, 1/5, 1/11, 1/17, 1/18, 1/19, 1/26, 2/1, 2/2
    Killington: 11/15, 12/16, 12/17, 12/18, 12/19, 12/20, 12/23, 1/3, 1/30, 1/31
    Mount Snow: 11/27, 12/2, 12/24 Sunday River: 1/8, 1/9, 1/10 Greek Peak: 1/13, 1/14 Jiminy Peak: 12/6 Catamount: 12/13 Pico: 12/19 Mohawk: 12/27 Burke: 1/1 Ragged: 1/2 Wildcat: 1/6 Cannon: 1/7 Jay Peak: 1/23 Mad River Glen: 1/24
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Very very sad. There are condos on that trail - and one of my kids has sled on Tempest with a friend that had a condo there. The bottom of tempest is not steep and a cruiser - it all depends on where they started. The steepest sections are above the condos. I always assumed my kid was on the flatter part - maybe some climb up to steeper section - especially HS boys. Really a bummer.

That is unthinkably sad. I can well imagine 18-year-old me sneaking out for a few sled runs, not considering it particularly dangerous.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    STUPID, STUPID Move..... No one answering phones at that hour.

Call 911 and find out that Bethel EMS have no way of getting up the Mt.....

Thread Information