• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rain on Friday......Grrrrrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

lerops

I was worried last night as it was still raining at 10pm but woke up to a lot of snow and still going at Whiteface. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Sorry to have to report that SoVT is an utter disaster. Flooding to Freezing rain to sleet to just a little bit of snow and now 14 degrees 2,300' and very windy. From a skier visit perspective this year is having a horrendous start. All eggs in the President week basket.

I hope I am here when Mother Nature decides to deliver a payback storm.

Zermatt

Pico down to 6 trails (3 runs) open....those are the only 6 trails they made snow on this season!

drjeff

My wife's report from Mount Snow this morning... Lots of snow loss, but the snowmaking trails, VISUALLY from our condo across the valley from the mountain, look to have held up. After an extended morning coffee with ski friends in the base lodge waiting for Ego Alley chair to get de-iced and open, they walked over to Ego, saw another friend who had just come down and said that it was ugly now, and needs another couple of passes from the snow cats to till up the frozen chunks, she then put her skis back into ski check and went back to our condo.... Tons of snowmaking going on. Big winds though.

Gotta be patient and give the mtn ops folks 24hrs to work their magic over a fickle mother nature!!

As she texted me.... Quote of the day from one of our ski friends... "I sure hope they open the bar early today!!"

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

mightaswell

My wife's report from Mount Snow this morning... Lots of snow loss, but the snowmaking trails, VISUALLY from our condo across the valley from the mountain, look to have held up. After an extended morning coffee with ski friends in the base lodge waiting for Ego Alley chair to get de-iced and open, they walked over to Ego, saw another friend who had just come down and said that it was ugly now, and needs another couple of passes from the snow cats to till up the frozen chunks, she then put her skis back into ski check and went back to our condo.... Tons of snowmaking going on. Big winds though.

Gotta be patient and give the mtn ops folks 24hrs to work their magic over a fickle mother nature!!

As she texted me.... Quote of the day from one of our ski friends... "I sure hope they open the bar early today!!"

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Glad I stayed home. Upsetting I lost the $$ but would have been more upset had I gone. Will have much more fun in sunny NJ today.

Cornhead

Cancelled a weekend skiing with Scotty due to the dire forecast. Greek yesterday was some of the shittiest conditions I've ever skied. You would think it'd be soft beeing 60°, but it was anything but, cupped and hard as a rock. I made 3 runs, and called it a day. Good thing, it started to spit a little on my last run, pouring by the time I left the bar for my car. My car was in a puddle, had to walk away from the car to take my boots off.

So this morning I debated skiing McCauley, or Greek. After shovling about 4" off my driveway, I figured Greek should be good, it is, about 6". Enough to ski everything, with rock skis. They're back to square one on natural trails, they we torched, and drenched away yesterday.

Scotty, sorry we didn't stick to our plans, but it was pretty bleak.
63da7162e4a8eca1d2c0373beec24c37.jpg
40a0bdc1cc6b52e15dcb6b960b3ce295.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

So far I am not at all regretting my decision to not go up to VT this weekend.

Pez

Ski Butternut today is an ice rink. However it's good to practice technic. Ice coast baby!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tnt1234

Time to put our collective psychic energy into making this mid week storm happen big time.

mightaswell

Burke never opened their main lift.

When I checked Okemo’s webcam around 1pm the orange bubble lift was stopped and waving around in the wind.

Football, mountain biking, and beer is on the agenda this weekend. MTB trails should be frozen up quite nicely by tomorrow morning. Glorious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fbrissette

Quick Jay Peak report.

Received 3-4 inches of snow which was the lower ranger of most forecasts. Disappointing. The mountain skied quite well in the morning but damage was extensive. Many open streams and some very exposed runs are not fully covered anymore. The woods held up well especially higher up the mountain. By mid day, snow stopped and runs got scraped-up rapidly. Hard stuff with small mounds of soft snow.

Ain't going to be great till we get another 12 inches.

benski

I could have skied today, but I had some issues getting my new bindings mounted so I have to another week to ski.

kingslug

Sorry i have to vent as only you guys would understand. On top of the worst week ive had in years..now this. I cancelled a trip to vail..ate 1600 bucks..and now this. We we nt fr om ski temps and 100 % open to ..this..vail went from 35 trails to 150..im just floored. My wife is still going..and im going to Stowe for the week next weekend..im an idiot..i never screw up like this..im out thousands..friggon hotel at stowe is another 600..holy crap..what a mess..all i can hope for is a recovery..

gladerider

I heard Whiteface was OK today. Wanted to go but the roads were such a bad mess would have taken forever to get there. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my SM-G892A using AlpineZone mobile app
I confirm. Whiteface was great today.

Driving up last nite was horrible. Heavy rain was ok, but the fog was so thick i couldn't see 5 feet in front of me. I was mostly driving based on reflectors on the sides of the highway and lane marking.

Switch over to snow happened around midnite to 1am. Woke up to about 4" but definitely around 5-6" on the trails. And it snowed most of the day until about 3.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

I heard Whiteface was OK today. Wanted to go but the roads were such a bad mess would have taken forever to get there. Can anyone confirm?

It was decent. A tale of two mountains. Everything from the base to midway skied very nice, but the summit was icy and not worth it. Plus the summit lift was slow & COLD today. Snowfall was a little disappointing as they only got 6"and I was hoping for 10". Stopped snowing around 2pm. No woods are open. Should be a nice day tomorrow, but COLD, not making it out of the negatives until late in the day. The town looks beautiful with the fresh snowfall.

jimk

Sorry i have to vent as only you guys would understand. On top of the worst week ive had in years..now this. I cancelled a trip to vail..ate 1600 bucks..and now this. We we nt fr om ski temps and 100 % open to ..this..vail went from 35 trails to 150..im just floored. My wife is still going..and im going to Stowe for the week next weekend..im an idiot..i never screw up like this..im out thousands..friggon hotel at stowe is another 600..holy crap..what a mess..all i can hope for is a recovery..

Sorry for your misfortune. Did you overthink things? Is there a lesson you've learned that you'd share with the rest of us -who have or will go down the same path?

The Snowmaking Capital of the WORLD made its name proud. Fresh manmande on Minya, Hellgate, Cliff, Bleeker, 7th and Kennedy better each run.

Status
Not open for further replies.