• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods March 31 and Cannon April 1 2018

Ice Queen

Things were really busy at BW on Saturday because they have $30 lift tickets for the rest of the season. But the lift lines were mysteriously short, the snow was soft, and the sun was shining. The tree skiing that's still open has spotty coverage, but they were running the T-bar and I rode that for the first time. Fun over there. On the other side of the mountain, Waumbek had really great snow for this time of year.

Cannon on Sunday was another matter. It was snowing hard for a short time in the morning, and pretty windy throughout the day, but not cold. The snow was wildly different from what was reported in the snow report, and we were were pretty pissed off about it -- it was rock hard at the top, and lots of trails had huge swaths of solid ice on them. It did soften up lower down on the mountain later in the day, but even at 2:00 the trails at the top were really hard. We had a good day, but man, talk about a misleading snow report!

Here's the email I sent to the mountain this morning, with the subject line "Funny April Fool's Joke." I think this about sums it up:

Your snow report yesterday was a hoot! Saying that it hadn't frozen overnight and that there was nice soft corduroy and corn snow was about as wildly off as calling Trump a thoughtful, articulate, erudite gentleman. My friend and I were really happy to pay $77 each to ski on such lovely soft corduroy.

April fools! Seriously, we would have been happier to pay $77 for whatever hallucinogenic drug the person who wrote your snow report was on.

skimagic

I am going to try BW this spring. The snow report shows west peak closed, I assume due to lack of skiers,not snow? There is a cut over trail to that area though, so why not have trails open?

Ice Queen

I am going to try BW this spring. The snow report shows west peak closed, I assume due to lack of skiers,not snow? There is a cut over trail to that area though, so why not have trails open?

Yeah, probably. They're not running the Zephyr lift at all, which takes you up toward that side of the mountain. The snow was really good on the main trails over there, so it's not lack of snow!