• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looks like Hunter learned from last year. Making snow again!

drjeff

Was shocked to look on the Webcam and see snowmaking. Hopefully they learned from last year. Kudo's!

Next years Peak pass prices and benefits get announced next Wednesday, March 6th... Gotta keep their big draw resorts going in great shape the next few weeks to sell some of next years product! :beer:

deadheadskier

Staff member
And make up for the ones they lose at Attitash.
Yep

Lots of Attitash skiers who do not like Wildcat and vice versa. They can't continue to shrug their shoulders and say oh well when something bad happens at one of the two areas and expect people to stay loyal and head to the other for the day.

Attitash has been broken for both major holiday periods and plenty of other days. Not offering skiing off the summit for that many days in a season is a joke. I bet Cranmore or Bretton Woods sees a sizable migration of new pass holders from Attitash unless they finally fix the triple situation with a new lift.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

da-bum

If they are making snow now, it just means they did not make enough early in the season. Who still wants to ski through a wall of stinging snow on so many trails this late in the season. One thing they did not learn is the grooming. On weekdays, I see half the trails being skied out and frozen over first thing in the morning.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If they are making snow now, it just means they did not make enough early in the season. Who still wants to ski through a wall of stinging snow on so many trails this late in the season. One thing they did not learn is the grooming. On weekdays, I see half the trails being skied out and frozen over first thing in the morning.

Have you met my friend on this site FBGM???

skiur

So you would rather no snow being made now? I want to ski through snow guns through April. This is a new one for me, people crying that they are still blowing snow!!! Maybe you should take up shuffleboard or something.

So Inclined

If they are making snow now, it just means they did not make enough early in the season.

Agreed. They definitely should have fired the guns full-blast through those early season mid-weeks...right before the confidently-forecast warm/rainy weekends.

So Inclined

Most weeks this year have been spent playing catch-up and resurface. Glad to see they are still at it.

Yep, me too - I think we're seeing it the same way (just to be clear.) They've been making snow up there just about any time it made real sense to do so (e.g. not 36 hours before an all-models-agree-it's-coming day-long-downpour.)

da-bum

So you would rather no snow being made now? I want to ski through snow guns through April. This is a new one for me, people crying that they are still blowing snow!!! Maybe you should take up shuffleboard or something.

No, they should have made more snow earlier, so they don't end up with bare spots every time it gets warm a bit. In the old hunter, they use to make so much snow early on that you usually can't see the fences on the cliff side of the trail (or snow almost the same height as the fence surrounding a snow gun). Now, both are easily visible.

drjeff

No, they should have made more snow earlier, so they don't end up with bare spots every time it gets warm a bit. In the old hunter, they use to make so much snow early on that you usually can't see the fences on the cliff side of the trail (or snow almost the same height as the fence surrounding a snow gun). Now, both are easily visible.

Gone are those days, where the amount of snow made, was often far more than what was actually needed to get the area through to their closing day. Nowadays, since closing days are often much more "penciled in" on the calendar with a target date, rather than the old school "just wait until it melts out" which often would end up just decreasing any profits from too much spent on snowmaking all season and then not enough people coming at the end of the season to ski on all the "extra" snow, most areas are much more "strategic" with when and how much snow they make on their trails over the course of the season, assuming "normal" weather conditions.

Peak as a company is VERY GOOD at maximizing snow production at specific, generally more efficient times, once they get open. They know how much snow they want to have on a trail to get them through to their targeted closing date. I've seen this firsthand at Mount Snow now in the roughly decade that Peak has owned them. It may at first seem to the customer that they're making snow for less hours a season than before, yet there's often ample snow on the hill, and then typically in late season, they'll fire some guns back up on some core trails for for of what I tend to refer to as "sell next years season passes now that they're on sale snowmaking"

This does mean that they will focus more efforts on some core trails than on all of their snowmaking trails than in the old days. Is this a better or worse strategy? Not really sure, and it likely depends on the perspective that you look it it from, but it's the strategy that Peak seems to use company wide, and they've got resorts across their entire portfolio that can, and do produce a large emount of snow in a short time frame, and then seem to not make any snow for a while, not because they couldn't, but because often they're happy with the overall quantity of snow on given trails for them to meet their targeted closing date

skiur

You said who wants to ski through snow guns this late in the season, I stand by my previous statement.

Jersey Skier

I was at Hunter yesterday. Zero visbilty on some runs due to the frozen mixture they were blowing.

FBGM

Have you met my friend on this site FBGM???

Oh hai

We all know huntah sucks. Peak resorts likes to piss away snowmaking moneys late in year.

What’s body count up to this year at that place? Maybe they should invest in soft snow or pad the trees.