Saddleback Meeting - Page 23

AlpineZone

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    The general answer is yes. This is what the old head Lift Mechanic at Sunday River told me. There are several reason that they are prone to wind closures. First, because they have that mechanical grip system that requires maintenance to adjust the pressure and is more fragile and susceptible to slippage than the fixed mechanisms, the manufactures recommends that the lift not run if the chairs swing a certain distance back and forth. It causes irregular chair spacing and possibly failure in extreme conditions. Also the detachable quads have a shit ton of sensors that sense all kinds of things include cable tension and chair spacing. These tend to trip more in the wind forcing the operators to shut the lift down instead of stopping and starting the thing many time each hour.
    Thanks great reply. I wonder if that's what seems to happen with Mount Snow's Bluebird 6 pack, where some days it just keeps stopping unusually. Hopefully FBGM can clarify that one.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Done deal. The sale went through yesterday. They were dancing in the streets in Rangely last night!
    skiing is not just an activity, it is a lifestyle!

Saddleback Meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Done deal. The sale went through yesterday. They were dancing in the streets in Rangely last night!
    Holy shit! Whereíd you hear that?

Edit: Never mind, found something.

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/01/...tain-purchase/
    Last edited by Edd; Feb 1, 2020 at 5:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Holy shit! Where’d you hear that?

Edit: Never mind, found something.

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/01/...tain-purchase/
    So the article says an HSQ is in the plans. The more I look at the map and layout, the more an HSQ makes sense.

And I can't believe that $6.5 million bought it. I imagine five years of closure might have pushed the value down a lot.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Saddleback Meeting

Itís a tough call on the HSQ but Iím thinking they need to have it. Itís what the consumer wants.

I ponder how Smuggs gets away with it, being remote also. But, northern VT has many winter attractions, catering to huge population centers. Sugarloaf aside, Saddleback is all alone up there.

Edit: Whatís the feasibility of Saddleback getting on the Ikon Pass?

Smuggs barely gets away with it, the only excuse is "low skier traffic". Which, given the size of Madonna and the terrain off the double isn't a good argument when you consider the lift lines which move very slowly and can easily exceed capacity.

They're pushing it with the double on Sterling as well.

MRG and Smuggs are 2 places I won't be returning to on a weekend. I love the single chair at MRG and IMO it shouldn't be replaced because it's special, and there's no lines on weekdays, but Smugglers could do a fixed grip quad (needs to be very windproof up there) with chairs close together and have 3-4x uphill capacity on the main mountain. This would also relieve lines at Sterling because people would take more runs on Madonna.

That double is also painfully slow.

Just a matter of time.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Itís a tough call on the HSQ but Iím thinking they need to have it. Itís what the consumer wants.

I ponder how Smuggs gets away with it, being remote also. But, northern VT has many winter attractions, catering to huge population centers. Sugarloaf aside, Saddleback is all alone up there.

Edit: Whatís the feasibility of Saddleback getting on the Ikon Pass?
    I agree. They should probably bite the bullet and go high speed. I've said this several times in various places, but I'd love to know how much revenue Attitash has lost in the last 20 years due to the summit triple. People absolutely expect it.

I've only been to Smuggs once, but my sense is a combination of:
    -some of the top terrain/snowfall in the east
    -reputation for family programs (which likely means good value on family ski trips)
    -proximity to Burlington and perhaps Montreal
    -value vs. Stowe and Lincoln Peak
    -allowing snowboarding vs.MRG

I think a Sterling high speed lift would be great. Nothing worse than waiting behind intermediates to get on low capacity lift to the best terrain (looking at you, Jay Peak)

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

This won't be a popular opinion here, but as a late 20's snowboarder I personally would need some serious convincing to go to a mountain with no high speed lift. Even Attitash has lost my day ticket revenue because of the summit triple. If it had a quad, a bubble, or a Gondi then it would be much higher on my list. I look at Crotched and see the spot they carved out in the market and canít help thinking that the Rocket has helped them out a lot. Attitash is such a major missed opportunity I feel like.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

2014-2015
    11/3- Sunday River
    11/9- Bretton Woods
    12/13- Bretton Woods
    1/18- Wachusett
    1/25- Watatic
    1/29- Wachusett

www.skibigsquaw.com

Quote Originally Posted by sull1102 View Post
    This won't be a popular opinion here, but as a late 20's snowboarder I personally would need some serious convincing to go to a mountain with no high speed lift. Even Attitash has lost my day ticket revenue because of the summit triple. If it had a quad, a bubble, or a Gondi then it would be much higher on my list. I look at Crotched and see the spot they carved out in the market and canít help thinking that the Rocket has helped them out a lot. Attitash is such a major missed opportunity I feel like.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    For me it depends on the mountain. Only if the mountain has a retro-vibe or the expert trails to make up for the slow lifts then is it worth it.

Mountains worth it:
    Smuggs
    Magic Mountain
    (Never been to mad river--but I will go because I've heard it's worth it).

The worst is a slow lift on a wide intermediate trail. There is no excuse for those anymore. I refuse to go back to Atti-Trash until that lift is upgraded. Just like I had no interest of returning to Sunapee until the Sunbowl Lift was upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    For me it depends on the mountain. Only if the mountain has a retro-vibe or the expert trails to make up for the slow lifts then is it worth it.

Mountains worth it:
    Smuggs
    Magic Mountain
    (Never been to mad river--but I will go because I've heard it's worth it).

The worst is a slow lift on a wide intermediate trail. There is no excuse for those anymore. I refuse to go back to Atti-Trash until that lift is upgraded. Just like I had no interest of returning to Sunapee until the Sunbowl Lift was upgraded.
    I'd recommend Saddleback though. The advanced sector up top is worth it. ~1000 feet of vertical on a fixed quad that's under 3000 feet long. No run-out and the lift ride is ~6 minutes. The issue is keeping intermediates happy and getting to the expert area if it's your cup of tea.

Sent from my VS988 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Ski season is always too short

Thread Information