• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Storm on the way

kingslug

Hunter had about 4 but we dealt with freezing mist all day..called it at 1 when i looked like a popsicle..good base building snow..the north side was best..less freezing schnozzle to deal with for whatever reason

Smellytele

Did a skin run at Pats around 2. Only had about 2" at that point but it was coming down. They were also blowing on a few trails including Hurricane and Vortex. Got home (I live in Henniker) and it has snow 2 more inches since and still lightly snowing. Will head out and get a run in before work tomorrow with the dog and it should be good.

tnt1234

Wonder how this bodes for the weekend in the cats. Thinking about rallying the family for a day up there.

kendo

Tomorrow should be very good at Stowe. Snowed lightly but continuously all day since 9am. Still coming down. Expect 3 to 5+" by tomorrow am.

JimG.

Staff member
5" at Killington by closing. Expecting an inch or two more tonight and then 2-3" tomorrow. Could be a sleeper weekend with decent snow conditions across the Green Mountain spine.

K skied very well today. Snow got better and better as day went on. Highline was my ROTD.

Los

Crotched was awesome last night (never thought I’d say that). They must have gotten 6 inches or so by the time we left at 9.

Los

Crotched was awesome last night (never thought I’d say that). They must have gotten 6 inches or so by the time we left at 9.

Quietman

I'll say it a 3rd time! It was fun skiing the whales with the fresh powder.

Tdizz

Oh..the drive up is most unfun..ice..only seen 1 good crash so far..2 cars ate the divider...hope this is worth it. :)
About 3 inches on the ground..not reslly snowing much now..more like gropple

Where did you see that crash? I passed a pretty bad one on the way down from Hunter. It was on 32, not far from the 32A Y. It must have just happened like a minute before I went by. SUV off into the woods. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. I didn't stop because there was already someone stopped.

kingslug

This was on 84. Also saw a car spun into the grass/snowpile on 32 not far from Hunter.
The only scary road is the Hains Falls pass. Snowtires and AWD work wonders.

Los

I'll say it a 3rd time! It was fun skiing the whales with the fresh powder.

My favorite were the micro-bumps on Satellite Summit & Cosmic Blast. Fun, fun, fun

I was very surprised how empty it was... Not that I'm complaining about it.

Also very surprised at how ridiculously slow NH drivers go with the slightest bit of snow on the road. It's embarrassing - you'd think we live in Florida or something and have never encountered snow before.

crank

As far as I'm concerned slow is safer and therefore better than a bunch of yahoos speeding in the snow. The key to not getting in an accident and not having to stop and possible get stuck is to leave lots of room in front of you.

kingslug

One day I should video the drivers in CT...mind blowing..worst I have ever experienced..probably due to no pints on your license..and no cops around. The minute you hit NY or VT things change quick.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
One day I should video the drivers in CT...mind blowing..worst I have ever experienced..probably due to no pints on your license..and no cops around. The minute you hit NY or VT things change quick.

Not too sure what you're getting at, but yeah, CT drivers can't do snow. It's crazy the difference in the snow ability of drivers between VT and CT.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not too sure what you're getting at, but yeah, CT drivers can't do snow. It's crazy the difference in the snow ability of drivers between VT and CT.
well, considering that someone who lives in CT might drive in snow maybe 20% as often as a VT resident and VT drivers typically use snow tires, it's not all that crazy. Virtually all of my friends in Northern VT have snow tires; many just leave them on year round. Snow tires alone improve a cars performance in snow by about 30%

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Los

well, considering that someone who lives in CT might drive in snow maybe 20% as often as a VT resident and VT drivers typically use snow tires, it's not all that crazy. Virtually all of my friends in Northern VT have snow tires; many just leave them on year round. Snow tires alone improve a cars performance in snow by about 30%

I'll take your word for it on the 30% as a scientific matter. But as far as I'm concerned, winter tires improve performance on snow by 100%! The difference is absolutely remarkable. We always got by, not wanting (or able) to make the investment - but we finally purchased a set for each of our vehicles a few years ago and wow - it's like night and day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My enthusiasm for snow tires align with yours. It's night and day, but yeah from what I've read they improve stopping, acceleration and tracking in corners by about 30%. Scientific