• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 4/15 - 4/17 Storm Discussion Thread

noonan

NOAA is predicting that we should stay all snow above 1500' with 2-3' by tuesday.

Right now here in Stratton it is snowing heavily, though the snow only just started sticking about 1/2 hour ago with sunset and the intense UV Rays gone.

The next three days should see some silly deep powder skiing.

i believe the word "powder" will end up being a very generous term to describe the snow that falls over the next few days...even up into northern new england. i think "cement" or "paste" or how about "glop" would suffice.

it might be difficult to achieve knee deep in this kind of snow. and if you do, be careful because the snow will probably have a good hold on your boots and skis which could be a problem if your upper body decides to do something different...willingly or unwillingly.

this snow will have a very high water content and provide a great base for the rest of the seaso...wait. it's mid-april. dang!

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Killington 2:00 this afternoon:

normal_P4150045%7E0.JPG

normal_P4150044%7E0.JPG

normal_P4150041%7E0.JPG

normal_P4150042%7E0.JPG

Last edited:

loafer89

It's snowing here in sratton at 5:45am with 6" on the ground.

The rain/snow line is very close by so hopefully Sugarloaf's elevation keeps the snow for today.

loafer89

Sugarloaf reports 6-8" new at the base with 12" up high with a snow/sleet mix at the base and snow up high.

The plan is to run long side of Double Runner, T-bar and the superquad.

The snow is mixed with sleet here in Stratton.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Dumping on the hill, raining in town. perfect.
Snow/rain line at Stowe yesterday was impressive. It started turning to rain shortly below the Toll Road Double. Just about the ideal location all things considered. Coming back home yesterday, I got to notice how much elevation played a roll as it rained in Stowe, Morrisville, etc. but then I started climbing up to the higher lands in Walden and Danville and it was all snow. Then back down into StJ and it was all rain. Not a flake here in StJ this morning. I do hope either Burke or Cannon got nailed at elevation cause it is hiking time if so!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Well, it was bound to happen....the forecasts had been right on all year. This one so far has been a bust. Maybe 2 inches here in the UV. Rain instead. Road were a mess last night at 5pm. Now wind-driven rain.

Went to look at the Killington cams. Both are conveniently "unavailable."

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
We left Killington about 2 pm yesterday afternoon and there was about 6" of fresh snow in the parking lot and on top of my truck. The snow was progressively intensifying thoughout the day. My guess is that they did get a good amount over night, although last I saw on the cam this morning, it did look like a bit of drizzle.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
14-16" at Jay is hardly a bust. Based on what I saw yesterday, Stowe got about the same. Bush is calling a 48 hour total of 21" with 18" in the past 24 hours. It ain't powder except at the upper elevations of the mountain, but is sure is a heck of a lot of snow for April with more on the way in the next 24 hours. Though the current radar loop this morning was me rather concerned. Not quite convinced it is worth taking tomorrow off despite the new snow. Mid-week vacation days are reserved for powder. Obviously any forecast for snow in the valleys is a total bust but the mountains got the goods.

frozencorn

I wonder if they're without power...I know there have been long lasting power outtages near KMart, at least last night

Yup....Snow report says this on their website

Resort News: *Resort operations are on hold due to widespread power outages.*

thetrailboss

Staff member
According to 'CAX this morning, Warren is coming in at 17". We have about 3 inches of glop here.

Yeah, I heard that as well...but wasn't sure if they meant Warren, VT, or Warren, NY considering that SB was reporting 3 inches this AM on SnoCountry.

castlerock

Same here at the Bush. We got dumped on yesterday and last night, but today we got dealt the wrong cards.

kingslug

I think next weekend will be a good one. Temps will be high but nothing wrong with corn skiing. This was a tough one to deal with. Roads where flooded, power outages, sleet, rain. But it did add to the base and that's good enough for me.

Greg

Staff member
I think next weekend will be a good one. Temps will be high but nothing wrong with corn skiing. This was a tough one to deal with. Roads where flooded, power outages, sleet, rain. But it did add to the base and that's good enough for me.

Right. These dumps can't go on forever.......can they?:-o