• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

All time trail design screw ups.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I've never skied Cannon, so I don't get the criticism.
Not to seem flip or anything, but if you have not skied the mountain, let alone the trail, it seems weird you would comment in such a manner. But to add to the other explanations, this is not your typical New England lift line trail. The Cannonball Quad ascends low over the looker's left side of the trail, close to the trees. The chair ascends so low as to prohibit skiing under the chair, not that it doesn't get poached on the other side of the snow making equipment on a regular basis. The remainder of the "trail" is an ultra wide, straight down the fall line swath the forms a wide open wind tunnel. Due to a variety of factors but most especially lack of wind protection on an extremely exposed section of the upper mountain, conditions are generally boiler plate. Often times the trail gets roped because it becomes unskiable at times. Previously, before my time skiing Cannon, there was only a double T-Bar line ascending this section of the mountain. Cannon could simply have widened the trail to perhaps 30 feet wide and replaced the T-Bar with the chair. Instead, they plowed open Profile, the widest and most wind exposed trail on the mountain... on a mountain that has many wide open wind exposed runs, Profile is the worst offender.

Newpylong

trailboss, i found one.

DDIPPER2.JPG

LOL

snowmonster

Funny all this discussion on the Profile trail reminded me of an account in David Goodman's book on backcountry skiing about how Sel Hannah thought that the location of the Cannon ski area was a mistake. Hannah believed that it should have been cut on the western side of the mountain (where the Tuckerbrook trail was and approximately where Mittersill eventually ended) which was protected from the winds in Franconia Notch. Apparently, he wasn't too happy that the state of NH placed the tram on the "wrong" side of the mountain. So, I guess by Hannah's judgment, Cannon was a trail design screw-up!

JPTracker

I believe you are talking about Sis Boom Bah, which has been permanently closed and taken off the map. I've skied over 100 days at Jay and saw it open maybe 2 or 3 times.

Sis Boom Bah was not removed from the trail map because of coverage or lack of snow. I have actually skied it with perfect conditions and it was closed. The reason ski patrol always closed it and removed it from the map is because of the way it intersects with Northway. It is a dangerous intersection and just an accident waiting to happen.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Though it's short, I've never seen Downdraft at Sunday River in useful condition. Seems to get scraped off too soon.

That's odd, I typically find Downdraft to have some of the best bumps on the mountain, especially after a storm as those days everyone is gunning for Agony or Heat.