• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2008 September 11th remembrance thread

Glenn

Last year (I think it was at least) the History Channel took a bunch of amateur footage and just played it...no commercials, no naration...just the footage and the people in the film (or behind the camera) talking. They added some time stamps to it to better help see how things unfolded. It was amazing to see.

The Flight 93 movie they put together on The Discovery Channel was very difficult to watch. I thought they did a good job with mixing in family members of those who were on the plane with actors acting out what happened. Again, that's a hard one to watch. Really hits home as to what those on Flight 93...and the other planes that day went through that day 8 years ago. I can't even imagine.

SkiDork

Yes, the History channel show was quite good.

I really like the story of the 2 guys from my building who actually made it down past the impact zone - 1 Indian guy and another guy (I think his first name was Brian). I'd love to meet those guys some day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For a couple of years following Matt's death, I was pretty obsessive in reading and watching everything I could about 9/11.

Now I try and avoid it. I'd rather think about the good memories than his last day.

ERJ-145CA

At the bus stop today one of the kids, about 7 was waiting for the bus and one of the moms asked him why he was wearing is boy scout uniform. He said "because some planes flew into some buildings. You didn't hear about it?" I thought, wow most of the kids at the bus stop weren't even born yet and won't know how the world changed in that one day.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The flight 93 movie was excrutiating to watch. At the end I was screaming at the guys to start choking the idiot in the right seat who was diving the plane so they could pull up on the yoke. Damn those terrorists.

I also didn't think I wanted to watch flight 93 but I stumbled across it on HBO a few years back and decided to try it.

The russian film makers is most excellent as well.

I also liked the one wth Nicholas Cage as a firefighter trapped in the rubble.
I'll admit that I haven't seen the movies because I wasn't sure I could handle watching them. I didn't have any close connections to the people directly affected, but it's still something that stays with a person and hits hard. I should watch these movies...

At the bus stop today one of the kids, about 7 was waiting for the bus and one of the moms asked him why he was wearing is boy scout uniform. He said "because some planes flew into some buildings. You didn't hear about it?" I thought, wow most of the kids at the bus stop weren't even born yet and won't know how the world changed in that one day.
Same with my kids... They'll never really understand.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!

Same with my kids... They'll never really understand.

Sure they will...teach them...just like everything else. I wasn't alive during Pearl Harbor, but I understand how that attack..and America's subsequent invovlement in WWII changed the world.

mondeo

In history classes we were always taught that our parents/grandparents would always remember where they were when they heard about Pearl Harbor or JFK's assassination. Never really understood that until 8 years ago.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sure they will...teach them...just like everything else. I wasn't alive during Pearl Harbor, but I understand how that attack..and America's subsequent invovlement in WWII changed the world.

In history classes we were always taught that our parents/grandparents would always remember where they were when they heard about Pearl Harbor or JFK's assassination. Never really understood that until 8 years ago.

That.

It's not the same. I remember seeing something on the news as I was leaving for work that morning about the first plane. I remember showing up at work (5 min down the road) and my coworkers thought I was kidding. We tracked down a small TV and tuned in as best we could for most of the day following. Knew by the 2nd plane that it wasn't an accident. So so sad.....

tcharron

Every day, there are people around the world who have their own versions of a 9/11 remembrance. Tragic deaths are horrible, horrible things. All of them. We need to remember that this isn't something to remember as a terrible tragedy that happened to *US*.

This is a terrible tragedy that happens to people all around the world. And yes, it also happened to the Iraqi people they day we started bombing the every loving crap out of Bagdad.

We can't be so self centered to thing our lost souls are more important then people who didn't happen to be in one of our buildings. When do we remember the poor SOB's in Pakistan who where gathered around a gas truck that we blew the ever loving crap out of, eh?

snoseek

I never did but now do also. I'll even go so far as to remember every little detail of that day and the emotions I felt. I would have never thought that possible.

mlctvt

Every day, there are people around the world who have their own versions of a 9/11 remembrance. Tragic deaths are horrible, horrible things. All of them. We need to remember that this isn't something to remember as a terrible tragedy that happened to *US*.

This is a terrible tragedy that happens to people all around the world. And yes, it also happened to the Iraqi people they day we started bombing the every loving crap out of Bagdad.

We can't be so self centered to thing our lost souls are more important then people who didn't happen to be in one of our buildings. When do we remember the poor SOB's in Pakistan who where gathered around a gas truck that we blew the ever loving crap out of, eh?

Well said. If everyone thought this way there would be less conflict and war.

MR. evil

you took the words right out of my mouth, only I couldn't have said it so well.

o3jeff

you took the words right out of my mouth, only I couldn't have said it so well.

+2

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

So because we can't mourn the loss of every human life around the world at every opportunity, we are to forgo mourning those we knew, friends of friends, brothers, and those with whom we shared many similarities and life experiences?

Maybe I'm missing what you're saying. This isn't an abnormal reaction for us humans. Most people around the world are not mourning our loss with us. That's normal also.

Respectfully, confused.

Until such time, I'll continue to remember and mourn the loss of my countrymen and brethren on this day eight years later. There's no deeper message into which to read than that.

tcharron

So because we can't mourn the loss of every human life around the world at every opportunity, we are to forgo mourning those we knew, friends of friends, brothers, and those with whom we shared many similarities and life experiences?

The guys around the gas truck?

*WE* blew them away.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
So for the sake of the bigger picture, let's never make any kind of a big deal about remembering those we have lost with whom we have a personal attachment or just something in common with because somewhere, at some point, someone else suffered, at "our" (the country's) hands or not, and so our loss is therefore diminished and not worthy of remembrance?

:blink:

History is full of groups killing each other. Yes. For this reason or that... right or wrong.. justified or not. Yup, this is true. But your statement is like spitting all over the loss of those who were personally-affected. Unless those people made the decision to go out and kill someone else in retaliation (or not) and personally did so, isn't what you're saying a little harsh?

BTW, I didn't blow anybody away. I'm not in the military. I'm not in politics. I didn't make that decision, pull the trigger, or personally inflict pain on anyone. "We" as a country have inflicted pain, yes. We have also had it inflicted upon us. That's neither here nor there. Try telling the family of a vet who lost their life in service, or the family of a person who lost their life on 9/11, that their loss is pointless because "we" killed someone else and see the reaction you'll get.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The guys around the gas truck?

*WE* blew them away.

Tragic and unfortunate no doubt. I wish with all my heart it weren't that way.

I'm still unaware of why that makes it inappropriate for me or anyone else here to pause and remember this day or remember and mourn our losses.