• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mountain - 10/29/2008

bvibert

Staff member
Thats cause you have the right equiptment...GEAR WHORE!!!! GEAR WHORE!! I wish my chick/wife/whatever would let me dump boatloads of cash !! ;-)

steve

:lol: I guess my mid-fats made things a bit smoother, but I think the main reason is that I wasn't pushing it as hard as you were..

I did wish that I had fatter skis, once the tips dipped under the surface it was really hard to get them back out. That's why I was in the backseat the whole time.

gmcunni

My legs are effing shot today.... But that's a good thing. :spread:

so how do you think all the MTB you guys did this summer paid off in terms of conditioning? no idea what it is like to hike up the hill but i got to think it is HARD, especially in 2 feet of snow.

2knees

steve, considering those were bump skis, thats pretty damn impressive you were able to get some float there. very nicely done. I know how much work it can be on those skinny's in deeper snow. Never mind that rather heavy baseless snow you guys were skiing on.

bvibert

Staff member
so how do you think all the MTB you guys did this summer paid off in terms of conditioning? no idea what it is like to hike up the hill but i got to think it is HARD, especially in 2 feet of snow.

I think I'd still be collapsed somewhere on the mountain if I had just sat around my house all summer, like I would have done if not for MTB. There's definitely a different set of muscles used for skiing, but my overall fitness and endurance seemed to be pretty good.

The hike up was tiring, but the skiing down was at least as tiring on my legs. As I mentioned before; if your tips went below the surface bad things would happen. I spent most of the time in the backseat in an effort to keep them up, which was tiring in itself.

cbcbd

Nice job! Hunter looks like it got hammered... that's awesome!

Wow... pretentious turn earners can't seem to wait for lift serviced.

;)

Way to get at em', gents!!!

:beer:
Lol, freakin' uppity leg-burnin', pre-season-stoke-postin' hippies... did your granola get stuck in your immense unshaven beards and floppy-eared-army-surplus hats!?
:D

u guys be hooked... lol

You don't know what you're missing. The few times I've hiked in ski boots or hiking boots like that, I've had AT guys lap me like 3 times. You can really haul ass up the mountain with that gear.
An experience like that is what drove me to AT gear - I was giving my all booting up and these AT guys just cruise on by.

Greg

Staff member
they need some AT bindings and skins...

Thanks! I never would have thought of that... :roll:

Seriously, this was last minute. I've never earned turns before either and don't anticipate doing it that often. That much snow this early and this far south is a once a decade kinda thing. We had to go for it, just for the novelty. Luckily the run down Cliff was actually an excellent one!

Nice, dudes. Congrats on first turns of the season! Nice of hunter laying a cat track down for you guys so there wasn't quite as much post holing! Looking forward to the full TR, looks like you guys are a sensational day.

That cat track made traveling up the second time cake. I wish we found it initially and not sunk to our knees all the way up Hellgate, a trail name that takes on a whole new meaning now. The stupid thing is we had snowshoes in the car, but didn't think there would be enough snow to warrant them. Above midstation, they would have been nice to have.

How did you guys like the Kryptons?

I didn't wear mine. And I'm glad since I hiked up in my Nordicas which are beat up and more comfortable. Plus I was sinking down into some rock up on Hellgate and would have cringed bacnging up new boots before even skiing with them....

Mogul skis in that stuff. You guys need some fatties. I am very jealous, but we'll be up Saturday and build a kicker at the base.

Yea those boards totally sucked ass in that snow....gonna have to get some all mtn stix...

steve

Not only did Steve have bump skis, but they have never been tuned. Skinny skis with dry bases on that snow is not a good combo. :lol:

I got home an tried to meet ya.... But my house was a mess... All my lilacs fell and blocked the driveway... So I had to pull all the snow off them... Just to get into the driveway...

Insane... I'll try to get out today...

Bummer. Next time. Like in 2018? ;)

Does this mean you might consider an assault on the treacherous Mt. Greylock with us this winter?

Not sure about that. Again, I would stuggle burning time to hike when the lifts are spinning.

I'm surprised that none of my falls made it into the vid. I ate at least as much pow, thought I don't think any of my falls were nearly as spectacular as Steve's.

They were more like slow motion lie-downs... :lol:

I did wish that I had fatter skis, once the tips dipped under the surface it was really hard to get them back out. That's why I was in the backseat the whole time.

My concern was more about railing a rock so I didn't let 'em run. I was back seating the whole way too. Tough to start a season on that.

I think I'd still be collapsed somewhere on the mountain if I had just sat around my house all summer, like I would have done if not for MTB. There's definitely a different set of muscles used for skiing, but my overall fitness and endurance seemed to be pretty good.

The hike up was tiring, but the skiing down was at least as tiring on my legs. As I mentioned before; if your tips went below the surface bad things would happen. I spent most of the time in the backseat in an effort to keep them up, which was tiring in itself.

I was huffing up Hellgate. Hiking up Heuga for me was pretty easy despite still fighting a bit of a chest cold. Could have done it again if we had more time. The MTBing definitely helped. I had no fatigue skiing at all.

cbcbd

Here's the vid featuring not one, not two, but three spectacular powhunter wrecks. :lol: Snow was heavy which might account for our gaperness, or maybe we just suck. Anyway, enjoy:

The high res is [URL="http://skiadk.com/skivids/Hunter_102908.wmv"]HERE[/URL], but it need another half hour to finish uploading. Give it until 8:30 before downloading.
Nice vid, dig the song.

The skiing reminds me of myself trying to ski early season powder in Cannon last year before any real base was set, waterbars were everywhere still, and I was floundering in all the powder :D

dmc

Just got in - getting sloppy out... Coverage is insane...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Yo Steve-O! This is what you needed yesterday:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/40138-dynastar-exclusive-pro-rider-alpine-ski.html

97mm under foot. What's that like double the 1080s? :lol:
That's the ladies version so I dunno what Greg is trying to say there.... :lol:

On a serious note, the Pro Rider is a bit more ski than most skiers would need in an east coast powder ski. I am sure it would work for some people but it is a beefy ski and no similarities to its smaller brethren.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
My skis are 110mm at the waist. Mid fats really suck in deep snow. I'd almost rather have longer, strighter skis, even if they were less fat. Mid fats hook like mad once you get rolling. Sking from the backseat sucks! It doesn't even really feel like sking. You need to ski from the front of your boot so you need a ski fat enough to float even if you weight the tip. (obviously) You guys, that looked like a work out. The right gear makes if far less work and far more rewarding. Way to get after it though...you guys got plastered from this one!