• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Mountain - 10/29/2008

WoodCore

Hunter ruled. More than enough snow to avoid hitting anything. More details, pics, and video to follow when I get home. Hope all you suckas had a fun time at work today. 8)

FYI, I didn't have fun at work today especially after reading all the trip reports!! Regardless, nice job on the early season turns and look forward to the full report and video!

Greg

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: Wednesday, 10/29/08!

Resort or Ski Area: Hunter Mountain, NY

Conditions: Dense powder, mostly cloudy, cool, not too windy.

Trip Report: Picked up Steve and Brian in Torrington and headed west. The snowline was right at the waterfall turn on the mountain road (23). Probably 8-ish inches in Tannersville. Pulled into the lot a bit after 10:30. We geared up and got hiking around 11 am. Close to a foot right down to the base. Found a boot ladder (not sure if the terrain is steep enough to call it that! Look at me with the turn earner lingo... :lol:) heading up Gun Hill to Ike. Chatted with a fellow briefly on Ike and then pressed on towards the mid station. Snowmaking crews came down Ike with a cat making an easy to hike path for us. We confirmed a solid foot+ on Ike.

Got to midstation near the five fingers sign and took a break. After about 15 minutes we headed out towards Hellgate. Travel was slow here as we broke trail. The snow here was a solid 16"+, higher in some of the drifts. We eventually headed to the looker's right of Hellgate, because the drifts were high along the fenceline. Eventually we followed a snowboarder track in spots which made it easier. Towards the top steep turn on Hellgate was the toughest. Lots of rock under the snow which made travel slow. We eventually got to the Hellgate/Cliff junction after about 2 hours of hiking and decided to eat lunch and then ski from there. Felt pretty damn close to winter near the top of the ski area. Light snow squalls, a mellow breeze and temps in the low 30's. Nice!!!

I met up with the snowboarder who told me there was a cat track all with way up Jimmy Heuga which made hiking up pretty easy. We planned to try that for the next run. I set out down Hellgate. Felt great to slide, but oof the skiing was rough to say the least. I stopped at the big turn to shoot some vid. Steve came cruising by, lost his goggles and then wrecked (all on vid.) :lol: Brian came by and retrieved the goggles and skied down to Steve. I then descended and felt like I skied a little better. Still a rough day one warm-up run. Near the bottom of the Cliff we hooked up with the cat track and started hiking again.

I felt great hiking this stretch. The cat track and windblown slope made travel much easier for me. The other guys weren't as happy, but we quickly made it back to the top of Cliff in probably about 30 minutes. The Cliff skied amazingly, almost bottomless powder most of the way. A few rocky areas towards the bottom, but overall a great run. I will carry the memory of that run with me until lift serviced starts. We then hit Bleeker (awesome) to Racer's Edge which was pretty heavy, but still decent. A lot more (lack of) base to hit down that one though. We finished around 3:15.

All in all, a really fun adventure. Turn earning is cool indeed. More about the overall experience than the skiing, but luckily for us the Cliff run was great. I have a background in hiking and backpacking so it's a cool way to merge the two. The problem is pre-season turn earning only rarely comes this far south so we kinda had to take advantage of it. Overall, worth burning a vacation day. Great company on the drive over and during the hike and descent. Thanks guys!

Got some vid that I'll put together tonight. Stay tuned.

bvibert

Staff member
Great day! Well worth the vacation day. I couldn't pass up turns that close in October! I felt like a bit of a gaper all day, but we all made the best of it and had a fun time. I definitely learned some things for the next time I attempt turn earning.

I agree that the second ascent was much easier, I was just a bit more tired than you were.

There really was a LOT of snow, but it was a little on the heavy side, making it challenging for me.

Eski

my buddy and I sampled the untouched goods from the summit over on H1 ... day #2 :)

bvibert

Staff member
Some pics:
PA29000101.jpg

PA29000505.jpg

PA29000909.jpg

PA29001414.jpg

PA29001717.jpg

PA29002020.jpg

PA29002222.jpg

Yes, I realize that I should have adjusted the coloring on them since they're a little dark, but I'm too lazy, so tough.

bvibert

Staff member
my buddy and I sampled the untouched goods from the summit over on H1 ... day #2 :)

We were surprised by how few people we saw on the mountain. I figured we'd find a bunch more tracks when we got there today. Glad you guys were out there get some of good stuff. :)

Greg

Staff member
Was this one staged?? Steve, surveying his domain. or the lack of hair on greg's dome. :lol:

Yes, he seems to have a nice view of what I call the peninsula hairline!

Mogul skis in that stuff. You guys need some fatties. I am very jealous, but we'll be up Saturday and build a kicker at the base.

Glenn

Awesome! All you guys needed was someone with a sled to haul you up the mountain!

powhunter

Nice getting out with you guys...Im totally spent. It was well worth the hike!!!

Mogul skis in that stuff. You guys need some fatties. I am very jealous, but we'll be up Saturday and build a kicker at the base.

Yea those boards totally sucked ass in that snow....gonna have to get some all mtn stix...

steve

Grassi21

if only i waited a few more days to get me gear tuned,,,,,

great stuff guys, very cool.

Greg

Staff member
Vid

Here's the vid featuring not one, not two, but three spectacular powhunter wrecks. :lol: Snow was heavy which might account for our gaperness, or maybe we just suck. Anyway, enjoy:

The high res is [URL="http://skiadk.com/skivids/Hunter_102908.wmv"]HERE[/URL], but it need another half hour to finish uploading. Give it until 8:30 before downloading.

dmc

I got home an tried to meet ya.... But my house was a mess... All my lilacs fell and blocked the driveway... So I had to pull all the snow off them... Just to get into the driveway...

Insane... I'll try to get out today...