• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Slidebrook87

Actually size can vary widely depending on the manufacturer. Cutler Hammer, Siemens and Square D are the main suppliers. I think Sugarbush has mostly Siemens gear. I would imagine all the systems up there are 480 Volt. Larger specialty voltages can make for long lead times to get parts. Seeing as it sounds like they are over-nighting it from somewhere it must be on a shelf but at $4,000 it must be something that is specialized. That is a lot of money for a breaker.

I know Sugarbush uses Cutler Hammer buttons on their Dopp detaches as well as Telux switches. They could be using Siemens as you mentioned though for electrical equipment.
The picture shows the Doppelmayr control dashboards on Slide Brook.

42d16a486d0c89ad6ccb874cffa882ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tumbler

Ha. That was my old neighbor, Mike Krapowski, a lawyer from CT who objected to a discounted VT Day. There was even a bumper sticker, "Who is Mike Krapowski anyway?" Locals were pissed.

I believe SB bought him out with caveats never to return.

Skied quite well today despite having to scramble around the windholds. CR was ok as were some of the lower trees. Got warm in the pm with some stickiness, despite my yellow wax efforts.

Haha!! I forgot about that A-Hole. Thanks for the chuckle.

Newpylong

Actually size can vary widely depending on the manufacturer. Cutler Hammer, Siemens and Square D are the main suppliers. I think Sugarbush has mostly Siemens gear. I would imagine all the systems up there are 480 Volt. Larger specialty voltages can make for long lead times to get parts. Seeing as it sounds like they are over-nighting it from somewhere it must be on a shelf but at $4,000 it must be something that is specialized. That is a lot of money for a breaker.

$4,000 is absolutely in line with what I have seen for a breaker of that size. If that motor is 750 HP, then the breaker would be a 1,000 amps assuming 480V/3PH which it more than likely is. That is a massive breaker. For comparison, the last round of 60A/480V Siemens breakers I put in just for fan guns were just shy of 2 grand. The 300A/480V Square D breaker we put in for a pump was nearly 3 grand. The stuff aint cheap and the amperage is what makes it specialized for industrial applications - no local electrical supplier would stock equipment like that.

Hawk

$4,000 is absolutely in line with what I have seen for a breaker of that size. If that motor is 750 HP, then the breaker would be a 1,000 amps assuming 480V/3PH which it more than likely is. That is a massive breaker. For comparison, the last round of 60A/480V Siemens breakers I put in just for fan guns were just shy of 2 grand. The 300A/480V Square D breaker we put in for a pump was nearly 3 grand. The stuff aint cheap and the amperage is what makes it specialized for industrial applications - no local electrical supplier would stock equipment like that.

No I agree. It certainly isn't. Sounds like we should be in the breaker business. ;-)

rocks860

Looks like I’ll be up there on Saturday if anyone is around and wants to take a run or two

WinS

No I agree. It certainly isn't. Sounds like we should be in the breaker business. ;-)

You all know a lot and spared me from having respond to SB 87 about the breaker. Should be here tomorrow.

Slidebrook87

I believe today is when Alterra announces their investments for next season. I expect a new lift at Mammoth, Squaw Alpine gondola, timber expansion at Tremblant and expanded/new mid-mountain dining at Sugarbush along with snowmaking upgrades.

jimmywilson69

new mid mountain lodge sounds great. Seems aggressive for year 1 unless SB has had this in the works all along for announcement this spring.

Hawk

There is no way they do a mid mountain lodge right now. They have to do all the study work and get an Act 250 approval. I think Win was saying that the new conference center in the space between the Village Quad and the Farm house is a more likely option. They have already done work on that and have that slot approved in the master plan.

slatham

There is no way they do a mid mountain lodge right now. They have to do all the study work and get an Act 250 approval. I think Win was saying that the new conference center in the space between the Village Quad and the Farm house is a more likely option. They have already done work on that and have that slot approved in the master plan.

Agreed, though you don't need Act 250 approval to announce plans for a mid-mountain lodge!

Hawk

Slidebrook was saying that Altera is announcing next years work. My point was that they would not be able to start a project that they have not even started the ground work on next year. It is at least 2-3 years out if that is something they are planning.

cdskier

Slidebrook was saying that Altera is announcing next years work. My point was that they would not be able to start a project that they have not even started the ground work on next year. It is at least 2-3 years out if that is something they are planning.

Agreed...and this was the first thing that entered my mind too when I read his post. I'm honestly not expecting a ton of CapEx spending in year 1 from Alterra. Even if they "want to make a big splash" and show commitment to SB early on, I still think most of what needs to be done requires more time for planning and permitting. Even the snow-making upgrades which I know they said they started planning I don't think has made it to ACT 250 permit submission yet (or at least I didn't see any submissions on it yet in the ACT 250 db).

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Hi Win quick question for you if you see this.

I'm thinking about bringing the family up Sunday or Monday. I see that you guys have a pretty light grooming pattern going on today, I think something was mentioned about it being due to the warmer temperatures.

Do you have any idea if this pattern will continue through the weekend and next Monday? I personally like it when a lot of the the trails are groomed. If the light grooming pattern will most likely continue through Sunday and Monday I may postpone using my last quad pass for another week. If that's too far out to look forward and predict what you guys will do I totally get it.

Thanks, I'm not complaining, just trying to make the most informed decision I can so that we have the best day that we can up there. You guys know more about running a ski resort than I do LOL

Best, Eric

cdskier

Eric - not sure if this helps or not, but I can at least give you some info from the perspective of a "regular" that has seen what has been done historically. Light grooming plans are traditionally done when temps overnight are above freezing or drop below freezing really late. If it was warm and/or rainy during the day, ideally you need temps to drop before you groom to allow the snow to "set up". Looking at forecasts for the next few days shows cold nights through Saturday night. So I'd expect pretty typical grooming plans during that time. Sunday will be warm and Sunday night could be a question mark on how cold it gets and how quickly it gets there. So Sunday night into Monday could be a scenario where you again have a lighter grooming plan.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

what I'd like to see year 1?

keep $30 thursdays at mount Ellen, keep mT ellen only passes, No change to the costs/conditions of the quad passes, re-enegage with ski shops to offer free kids lift tickets as a perk for renting skis for the season at local shops.

All of the above would show a commitment to the community and traditions of Sugarbush. Anything else in year 1 is gravy to me.

all of the above help me ski more at SB as well. $30 thursdays let me have a thur-fri or wed-thur 2 day family trip instead of a 1 day trip. The quadpasses let me pick the days I want to go so we go on the best days. If the day Im looking at isnt a wednesday or friday, we buy ME only tix for the 2nd day as we can afford that and again, we get 2 days instead of 1.

We started skiing sugarbush because one year a couple years back my kids season lease package from our local ski shop included free kids all mountain passes at SB. Nows it our favorite place to ski. But last year, the shop said SB was not going to do that deal with them. I'd like to see then rethink that, 2 free kids passes means I'm buying an extra quad pass to go up there one extra time each year with the family and a couple solo trips. They'd come out ahead on that one.

Very curious and hopeful about what the future holds.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Eric - not sure if this helps or not, but I can at least give you some info from the perspective of a "regular" that has seen what has been done historically. Light grooming plans are traditionally done when temps overnight are above freezing or drop below freezing really late. If it was warm and/or rainy during the day, ideally you need temps to drop before you groom to allow the snow to "set up". Looking at forecasts for the next few days shows cold nights through Saturday night. So I'd expect pretty typical grooming plans during that time. Sunday will be warm and Sunday night could be a question mark on how cold it gets and how quickly it gets there. So Sunday night into Monday could be a scenario where you again have a lighter grooming plan.

Thank you very much my friend that is very helpful!

I was considering going monday instead of sunday to avoid crowds, but now i may go Sunday or hold off. Sunday looks great but with those warm temps Im thinking the place will be crowded so maybe not. thanks again!

KustyTheKlown

It’s March. Crowds are done. Sundays are never that bad and will be less bad than midwinter now that casual skier types are moving on and it’s warm in the suburbs

MorningWoods

Agreed...and this was the first thing that entered my mind too when I read his post. I'm honestly not expecting a ton of CapEx spending in year 1 from Alterra. Even if they "want to make a big splash" and show commitment to SB early on, I still think most of what needs to be done requires more time for planning and permitting. Even the snow-making upgrades which I know they said they started planning I don't think has made it to ACT 250 permit submission yet (or at least I didn't see any submissions on it yet in the ACT 250 db).

I read somewhere that there are changes coming to Act 250. Wonder if that will have any impact on what sugarbush can do going forward?