• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

BodeMiller1

Dude your hate boner for them is impressive. I think its surpassed DHS's hate boner for Vail.

I know this isn't likely news for you but here it goes. Pro Athletes get sponsored, they get stuff and money. Those people who sponsor them then use the sponsored athlete in promotions.

If burke mountain put this on one of their lifts no one would've ever seen it outside of the 50 or so people on this forum and regular burke skiers.
One time I won a WFNX CD because I found a rubber chicken on the side of walking boss at loon. So yea, we do get paid.

Lotso

I could be off base, but it seems like the ski racing community is small enough in the US that once you get to representing the country internationally you've gone past the point of inter school rivalries being important.
Bingo. She's bigger than any rivalry between programs.

1dog

I read in local paper,Valley Reporter I believe, that Alterra/Sugarbush received the permit to replace HG in Sept. Cost estimated $7-10M. ( Think SV paid $5.5M for VH 6-8 years ago)
If all that is out of the way, would it be premature to think it possible this summer? Or, parts/labor/backlog of the two major lift companies left booked out for 3 years?

21st century- no one really cares for fancy ( well most) but just get people up the hill(s) with relatively low break-downs is to be expected- at any price.

Most dangerous run I think I've been on in all the years I skied da 'Bush was Sat when HG closed and the entire line flew to SB/VH- pinball skiing.

Happens far too often. All that with competent management/leadership over past 20+ years.

Like with airlines - can't figure out how they make money -with weather, TSA/FAA/fuel price spikes - having mechanical issues makes it even more next-to-impossible to attempt to please the customer.

cdskier

I read in local paper,Valley Reporter I believe, that Alterra/Sugarbush received the permit to replace HG in Sept. Cost estimated $7-10M. ( Think SV paid $5.5M for VH 6-8 years ago)
If all that is out of the way, would it be premature to think it possible this summer? Or, parts/labor/backlog of the two major lift companies left booked out for 3 years?

They have the USFS permit...but I don't think they have ACT 250 even submitted yet last time I checked the database.

Lotso

They have the USFS permit...but I don't think they have ACT 250 even submitted yet last time I checked the database.
What kind of lift? Fixed-grip I assume? Not really room for detach unload and wind an issue

cdskier

What kind of lift? Fixed-grip I assume? Not really room for detach unload and wind an issue
Fixed grip quad

Do they need Act 250 if it is installed on Federal
Land? I’m not sure that they do.

I don't see why they wouldn't unless there's some specific exemption since it is a replacement...they needed an ACT 250 permit for several other projects that were entirely on USFS land (the new patrol hut at the top of HG, the reverse traverse realignment project, etc).

skiur

1) She's a good skier from New Hampshire. Everyone try's to take credit for our work ethic: The Battle of Bunker Hill (Mass.), Bode Miller (Maine). When will it end?

2) Lifts should lift stuff: beer to hotels, skiers and snow patrol dogs.

# this is the biggest ski scandal since the Olympics.

:coffee::cautious::rolleyes:🎿

Free The Dis

Pepper Dog for a day

What's this about a weather report? WBZ Boston

Hope this helps

She lived in New Hampshire but she is a good skier from Colorado. She learned to ski in Colorado moving away at the age of 8. That must have sucked!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't see why they wouldn't unless there's some specific exemption since it is a replacement...they needed an ACT 250 permit for several other projects that were entirely on USFS land (the new patrol hut at the top of HG, the reverse traverse realignment project, etc).
The Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution sets federal law over state law. That’s why I’m not sure if Act 250 applies. That said, I do recall other projects (like you mention) that needed Act 250 approval. Perhaps the key distinction is that it’s not the Feds doing the project.

As to replacing existing infrastructure, I do know the answer to that. The review is much easier and quicker because it’s a replacement of existing infrastructure.

WinS

Do they need Act 250 if it is installed on Federal
Land? I’m not sure that they do.
Yes, they would, but in all likelihood a minor review meaning no meeting, but someone could appeal. Unlikely since this would be mostly a new lift on original site. When I was involved we were thinking of moving bottom terminal a bit uphill so the corral line does not intersect with skiers coming down Downspout. We thought a fixed grip quad was the best option. High speed would put too much traffic on limited trails, it is easier maintenance, and importantly less susceptible to windhold especially if a lower profile.

Smellytele

Yes, they would, but in all likelihood a minor review meaning no meeting, but someone could appeal. Unlikely since this would be mostly a new lift on original site. When I was involved we were thinking of moving bottom terminal a bit uphill so the corral line does not intersect with skiers coming down Downspout. We thought a fixed grip quad was the best option. High speed would put too much traffic on limited trails, it is easier maintenance, and importantly less susceptible to windhold especially if a lower profile.
Moving it up hill a little would be nice. That corral area can get pretty hectic.

cdskier

You can't fix the the issues without parts. If they had the parts they would fix the issues. Complaining about it is not gong to get it done any faster. That is my take.
Right...putting up a banner or sponsoring Mikaela has 0 impact on the lift issues.

Hawk

I am not a racer or follow it that much, but I think that most people underestimate the size, dedication and inthusiasm of the Race community here at Sugarbush. GMVS is a large part of that but there is also the weekend race crew, the alumni, all the retired people live in the valley that race in the league and the general racing public. They have dedicated slopes for the racers here at Sugarbush which is more than most mountains. If Altera and the race community wanted to put up a sign to honnor a great racer, I see no bad motives for that.

Just because Altera f-ed up Snowbird does not mean they are actively screwing with us. Just sayin.

tumbler

With the caveat of my feelings towards Alterra, Point No. 1: they rush to get marketing material on Inverness but yet don't have arguably an important lift ready to go when needed because of "new lift parts". I suspect, as ducky said, that part of the issue is not enough snow on the lift line for rescue as required. But still, get your ducks in a row before the season starts. I get that there is a lot to do in preseason, and I know that there may be staffing issues, but it's kind of late to be waiting for lift parts. I know that SBX can be controversial with some, but it is a big part of Sugarbush.

Point No. 2: know your audience. I don't know about the racing community except from what I observe as the general public so I do not know the extent of rivalries or competition. Folks who are in the know correct me if I am wrong. As I mentioned, Mikaela has no connection to Sugarbush or GMVS. None. She went to their rival, BMA. So, unveiling a huge banner congratulating her on GMVS' home turf might be odd at the very least. Yes, it is racing. Yes, she probably had races there. Yes, the racing community, in Vermont in particular, is over-the-moon for her. But she's not from Sugarbush or GMVS. It would be like the NFL unveiling a huge banner of Jalen Hurts outside of MetLife/Giants Stadium right now congratulating him on making it to the NFC Championship. I hope that management/marketing at least ran it by GMVS. Most likely not. Again, may not be a big deal, but I think it is odd and shows that someone does not really understand the community and was making decisions from a 50,000 foot level, which Alterra brags that they don't (they do, but not to the extent of Vail). That kind of congratulatory message is better off at Burke Mountain.

Perhaps add this to the nit-pick list that includes the snow reporting issues.

Yeah, as I figured, the lack of snow is the bigger issue with SBX.
TB- I don't know whether to tell you to put the pipe down or pick it up. As you said somewhere in here that you despise the companies that own ski areas. You have not lived in VT for a long time so please stop trying to be an expert on Sugarbush stuff. Your disdain for ski owners has made you hate the sport which is too bad for you. How about just go out and ski and enjoy that activity for what it is- FUN! You take every decision that Vail/Alterra/Powdr makes personally. All ski areas are crowded and have issues, but we all try to make the best of it and have FUN. Just go ski and have FUN.