• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

djd66

this shouldn't be a surprise. they are adding snowmaking. Birch would probably just die unprotected in there with the snowmaking in due time anyways.
Snow making will be nice for early season options. I‘m all for new trails with snow making.

jimmywilson69

Agree, with decent temps, it should take less time to open RT to HG than the Deathspout route. Will be interesting to see how they do the rollout with this option.

cdskier

this shouldn't be a surprise. they are adding snowmaking. Birch would probably just die unprotected in there with the snowmaking in due time anyways.
Completely agree. Leaving some trees and making it "semi-gladed" was not an option when you're adding snowmaking to it. (I know ducky compared to Murphy and Sleeper...and while they have some trees and have snowmaking, they're also very wide trails)

Agree, with decent temps, it should take less time to open RT to HG than the Deathspout route. Will be interesting to see how they do the rollout with this option.

And yes, even in their latest blog post about this they said the same thing that this opens up more possibilities early season:

Hawk

Also it would be hard to groom with birches in the way. They are leaving it pretty narrow as it is a traverse still. I agree that I liked the old way but keeping the numbers down on that trail is not what they were looking for.

Kingslug20

Says it's open today. Blew our slidebrook plan..then slidebrook lift closed..blew our north plans...
Everybody got a plan..till the lifts shut down...

cdskier

Says it's open today. Blew our slidebrook plan..then slidebrook lift closed..blew our north plans...
Everybody got a plan..till the lifts shut down...

Not sure where you see it is open...says closed in the first sentence of the snow report: " 8:23 AM *North Lynx is Closed. Hiking will be Permitted from 10am-3pm* "

Yesterday afternoon they said they expected it to reopen today. But I guess whatever they thought would be fixed by now clearly isn't.

WinS

Completely agree. Leaving some trees and making it "semi-gladed" was not an option when you're adding snowmaking to it. (I know ducky compared to Murphy and Sleeper...and while they have some trees and have snowmaking, they're also very wide trails)

And yes, even in their latest blog post about this they said the same thing that this opens up more possibilities early season:

No way you could leave trees on a trail that narrow with snowmaking and grooming. I think this trail will be groomed most nights all the way to HG. Depending upon temperatures. I think the ideal plan would be to open GH as soon as possible along with Valley House lift, SB/SF, the new Traverse over to HG and Upper Jester to Valley Traverse. Then work on Upper Grinder and Downspout. Not rushing to groom Downspout and letting it sit for a few days will make it a much better experience when it opens. Early temps always dictate the plan of course. The old RT will be restored to forest.

HowieT2

stayed up top after lunch. Base is great. Dense for sure.

C375321F-2330-45BA-8216-76A3096761B4.jpeg

Attachments

• 14948514-31A5-4999-B4BB-AFD204EE0B99.jpeg
    14948514-31A5-4999-B4BB-AFD204EE0B99.jpeg
    491.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 48D75CAF-1527-4E41-9B31-7BF47BE318A0.jpeg
    48D75CAF-1527-4E41-9B31-7BF47BE318A0.jpeg
    464.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 3B1FD625-B010-483E-836E-78AFF7AD2BD1.jpeg
    3B1FD625-B010-483E-836E-78AFF7AD2BD1.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 12

Kingslug20

If I wasn't meeting people at Ellen...well..I wouldn't be here...
Took 1 run and now have parked my derriere in the lodge. Going to take a while to soften this stuff up.

mikec142

If I wasn't meeting people at Ellen...well..I wouldn't be here...
Took 1 run and now have parked my derriere in the lodge. Going to take a while to soften this stuff up.
I drove 5.5 hours. Took one run down snowball to spring fling and now I’m sitting on the patio overlooking bravo. It’s a sheet of ice and the ruts from the groomer tracks make it even more interesting.

I’m the dude in the grey jacket with orange pants if anyone wants to say hello.

cdskier

I drove 5.5 hours. Took one run down snowball to spring fling and now I’m sitting on the patio overlooking bravo. It’s a sheet of ice and the ruts from the groomer tracks make it even more interesting.

I’m the dude in the grey jacket with orange pants if anyone wants to say hello.

Too bad I didn't look at the forum while I was on the mountain, I would have looked for you. Back at my condo already. This morning was umm...interesting to say the least. That rain and warm temps followed by a very late re-freeze sure screwed things up last night. Last night was probably not the night to groom Domino lol! Took 3 runs on the Bravo side (Domino, went up HG and did Jester, then did Snowball/Lower Snowball. Said enough of that and went over to wait in line for GH to open. Got 3rd chair over there. Sleeper and Hot Shot were nice...but there's only so much of those I can do so called it a day. Not sure whether the sun is going to come out or not. That sure would help...but I don't have patience and am planning to ski the next 4 days so no need to push myself to stay out there today. Had a nice chat with Win while we were waiting for GH to open (he was first chair).

North Lynx was on a delay...believe I overheard Hammond saying they put a new motor in it this week and were doing some adjustments this morning hence the delay.