• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chairlift Conversations

gmcunni

Severine's comments got me thinking:
Since I was skiing solo, I did have a few interesting chairlift rides today (forced pairing up). 2 of the guys were pretty friendly and we chatted about Sundown and skiing in general. The 3rd was apparently in a mood. When he didn't say anything to me for 1/3 of the way up, I turned and tried to make conversation by saying, "It's pretty busy here today." All I received was a curt, "Aye" in return. Yeah, he was a great companion.

I'm not much of a talker. Perhaps it is because I'm shy but I'm content to ride the lift without speaking to the person next to me. If they strike up a conversation I'll join in but hardly ever will i initiate it. Heck, even when i ride with friends and family there are long periods of silence.

Do you enjoy the peace and quiet of a silent chair ride or do you take the initiative to start up a conversation.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I don't usually initiate conversations on the chairlift, but I'll participate if included. A lot of times when I'm forced to ride with others, it's a pair of people who are talking to each other, and I don't mind being left out. But when it's just me and one other person, it's kind of awkward to just sit there and not say anything. Most of the guys I end up riding the chair with will talk, and usually about Sundown, which isn't hard to discuss. In a perfect world, if I'm skiing solo, I'd prefer to ride the chair by myself and enjoy the silence. But with someone seated next to me, it just feels rude to not at least try to say something polite during those few minutes we're sharing the chair.

bvibert

Staff member
I'm not much of a talker. Perhaps it is because I'm shy but I'm content to ride the lift without speaking to the person next to me. If they strike up a conversation I'll join in but hardly ever will i initiate it. Heck, even when i ride with friends and family there are long periods of silence.

That's pretty much me. Sometimes, when I'm at Sundown, I'll ask if people are enjoying themselves, but that's about the extent of my conversation skills. ;)

Dr Skimeister

Being a skiing nomad that doesn't have a "home mountain", I chat it up with fellow lift-riders to ask about the mountain I happen to be at.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I'm always striking up conversations with random folks on the ride up. To me, that's just part of the sport.

Beetlenut

I usually say something, as like Carrie it feels awkward to not say anything. As a rule though I'm not a big talker either, so I have to push myself to initiate something. I'm always happy to talk to a local though and find something out about the mountain I'm skiing that day!

Greg

Staff member
I always say how ya doin or nice day or something like that. Sometimes a conversation strikes up sometimes not. I'm good either way.

Same here. And like others have said I can usually tell right away if the conversation will go somewhere or not. If I'm riding lifts with friends, I'm usually the blabbermouth. Amazing how much faster a chairlift ride goes while chatting vs. sitting there in silence, or riding solo.

rachelv

Website
www.mountainreviews.com
Same here. And like others have said I can usually tell right away if the conversation will go somewhere or not. If I'm riding lifts with friends, I'm usually the blabbermouth. Amazing how much faster a chairlift ride goes while chatting vs. sitting there in silence, or riding solo.

Yeah, I like chatting if I'm skiing solo, but either way is fine. It can also be a nice way to get to know a mountain you don't ski at a lot. People are generally willing to take a few runs with you and show you around a little if you're both skiing alone.

"Oh my god, you like skiing too? Are you going down the mountain after this? ME TOO!!! Want to take a few runs?" :)

Smellytele

I tend to find myself being a blabber mouth. I love to see what people have skied on that given day and the conditions. I also like to see where they are from and what others areas they like and dislike. I do still have my ipod on in one ear because I like having a soundtrack to my life. I try to ride on the lift to the side I have the earbud in my ear so I can hear them better.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
at home mountain oyu usually know but the time bar comes down if people want to talk. if they do i try to be an ambasador of my sport. i try to take runs with people but very rareky do they keep up. since i am friendy and older than 90% of the snowboarders at the mountain. i seem to get a lot of questions. heres a list of the typical ones i get.

1. wow your board seems to be bigger than most.
2. how often to do you ride here and how long have you been riding for.
3. where do you like to ride here and other places.
4. i seem to get a lot of equipment questions for some reason.
5. what do i think about south being all park.

those seem to be most common. i also find that at MC the best skiers/riders are over at granite. i also have some good conversations with people. the other lift that is kinda fun is the sojourn. its very common to talk to the person in front or behind you on the lift. the first question is usually how long is the ride and it goes from there. there are somedays with all the gommers out but for the most part this season everyone has been pretty happy to be out on good conditions. i really like people to come away from a ride with realizing that young punk ass snowboarders eventually grow up into smart, articulate, and solid riders.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I strike up a conversation about 3/4 of the time. Life is too short. I've met some interesting people, including resort owners who didn't want to admit so. I prefer to ask them the questions, I learn more that way. If you talk too much, people begin to zone out and think you are self-absorbed.

Sitting on a lift 2 feet from another speechless feels like non-verbal combat. I'd much rather end the ride on a cheerful note, recognizing that hammer isn't as evil as he looks ;) and hardline isn't the axe murderer I thought ;)

That way also, if you ever run into them again, it makes the whole place seem a bit more friendly.

danny p

+1.