• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Non skier significant other

highpeaksdrifter

What do you do about it? By this time of year my wife starts to complain about me and my daughter "leaving her alone all weekend". (we have a home at Hunter and go every weekend) Any suggestions (she will NOT ski), what about good places out west for non-skiers, I already saw the ones for here in the east.

Thank You

You and I are in the same boat.

We have a home in Wilmington (Whiteface) and my youngest son is there with me every weekend, my oldest married son (his wife doesn't ski either) usually stays over at least Sat. night and my daughter will often comes over from SUNY Plattsburgh.

My wife loves the place in warmer weather - hiking, kyacking, shopping in Lake Placid, volunteering for events like the Iron Man, etc., but in winter she doesn't want to be there much and as the season is rolling into spring being home alone gets old for her.

Last week we where off for Feb. break. For part of it she invited a friend and her family to stay at our house. The wife and husband don't ski, but the kids do. I took the kids under my wing for skiing during the day while my wife went to Lake Placid with the non skiers for shopping, sight seeing and one day a wine tasting tour.

At night we all ate together and hung out. She told me after it was the best time she has had there in the winter since we bought the place 2 years ago. She thanked me for making it possible by hooking up the friends' kids. The friends had a great time and so did their kids. I was a hero to everybody and all I had to do was ski.

So anyways have your wife bring up non sking friends to hang out with. It sure worked for me.

MRGisevil

Sounds like she's just feeling lonely and forgotten, RichT. We women are social creatures. Try doing things for her that make her feel like she's the most important thing in your life. Take her out to dinner or spend a weekend away (gasp!) not skiing. Doing things that remind her that she's still the focal point in your life should help ease her anxiety and your ski season.

gladerider

hpd, IMHO you chose wisely in selecting lake placid cuz i think of all the ski resorts i've been to in the east, i'd rank lake placid at the top when it comes to a resort town with non-skiing amenities.

stratton is not quite there, IMO. tremblant is nice, but still feels like a manufactured ambiance(although, all the ladies i spoke to love the place). stowe is nice also, but not exactly a walkable village.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Sounds like she's just feeling lonely and forgotten, RichT. We women are social creatures. Try doing things for her that make her feel like she's the most important thing in your life. Take her out to dinner or spend a weekend away (gasp!) not skiing. Doing things that remind her that she's still the focal point in your life should help ease her anxiety and your ski season.
Thank you for the voice of reason!

To those who suggest divorce... :roll: Seriously? This is the person he chose as his life partner, the woman he has a child with? You would throw away that because your wife feels neglected because of skiing? Give me a break. Everybody needs to feel wanted and special. That's throwing the baby out with the bathwater instead of finding a real solution to the issue at hand.

Creakyknees

You should have gotten the skiing prenuptial agreement..;-)

Last edited:

Rossi Smash

Damn that sounds like high maintanence to me :lol:
If she isn't interested then let her find her own fun.....:spread:

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Seems like the women here have some good answers besides (divorce her!) Jez, I love this women, married her, and for crying out loud it's only 4/5 months of weekends out of the year. You guys would leave your wife for that? If so, you would leave her for any number of other things also!!..........Thanks(?)

deadheadskier

Staff member

man, that sounds like a lot of work :lol:

That said, it is sound advice and exactly what I do ;).

At least a couple of times a winter I'll take the weekend off from skiing and take J into Boston for the weekend or away somewhere on vacation. Last year it was Florida during the first week of March, typically the best week of skiing of the year. This year, 4 days down to DC in what could be great spring corn bumps 2nd week of April....wouldn't I love to just to bash spring bumps for four days straight? Absolutely, but (at the risk of getting ribbed by the boys here) I love her more and weekends/vacations like that make her happy, which in turn makes me happy.

I'd really like to find a skier-chick..I can't imagine skiing less than what I ski now..my ex-girlfriend was a skier but she was a terminal low intermediate..she still skied Jackson Hole, Crested Butte and all over New England with me...it taught me alot of patience and I'd usually only split up from her for a run or two at a time. Aside from short relationships..I've been single and living alone long enough that I am set in my ways so it's going to take a really special woman for me to compromise..not just some ordinary trick hoe from match.com...although they're fun for a little bump and grind..anyway these threads interest me because one day I might have a non skiing significant other and I want to shred alot of gnar both in and out of the bedroom..lol

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
So what is the ideal significant other?

A girl who doesn't ski or ride?= :roll:
A snowboarder chick? =too hippie and slow for me
A race skier chick? =depends on how she looks in the silly suit
A freeskier chick? =possibly suffers from A.D.D.
A hardcore telemark chick? best glutes fo'sure and my pick

deadheadskier

Staff member

Yeah, I'd totally pass on Melissa Theuriau........damn snowboarding hippie chick :roll:

melissa-theuriau-picture-2.jpg

tjf67

Hardcore tele chicks are harry and smell.