• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

OkeMoguls

Greg

Staff member
Haven't heard much about the bumps at Okemo. Anyone know how they are this year? Gotta hit Sel's and Blackout this spring.

mikestaple

I was there around Super Bowl Sunday - so this is completely dated, but The Plunge was au natural and full of bumps. Challenger (under the lift off Sachem - is that North Peak) was moguled up along the edge. Certainly not the steepest bump run.

Over on South Peak they sometimes let the bottom of Dream Weaver bump up.

Can't say about Sel's Choice etc. Didn't get down there with the kids.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They still hold the bumps and bamboo competition? The peak of my skiing career was that race in 1989. My father swears I won, I seem to recall 2nd place in the mogul portion of the competition in the under 18 division as a 13 year old. I've been in steady decline since.....:lol:

MommaBear

Was there 3/14 - Sel's choice was real nice, as was Blackout (under the lift). But most bumps were anywhere THAT weekend. There was also a nice run of them on Quantuam Leap over at Jackson Gore - not as nicely spaced but fun all the same.

gladerider

was there on 3/21-22. Sel's choice was holding up well. if i remember correctly, blackout had smaller bumps.

frozencorn

Decided today to take next Weds off for the freebie, so here's hoping the bumps survive.

KevinF

They've been letting BigBang and one of the new trails over at Jackson Gore bump up.

Big Bang has sections of bumps -- i.e., it will be bumped, then it will level off and the bumps go away for a bit, but when it drops, it's bumped. I've lapped that trail for hours.

The other one at Jackson Gore is really thin at the entrance... I haven't skied it much because it's pretty much guaranteed that you'll hit a rock getting in. It had some nice lines though. Given the thin coverage two weeks ago (the last time I was there), I'm pretty sure it's closed by now.

I haven't been hitting Blackout or Sel's lately.

krisskis

Was there on sunday with KingSlug...still waiting for him tp put up the pics, videos and trip report :-(
Im not sure what trail this is, but it is the trail that made my knees hurt on monday :)

bvibert

Staff member
Was there on sunday with KingSlug...still waiting for him tp put up the pics, videos and trip report :-(
Im not sure what trail this is, but it is the trail that made my knees hurt on monday :)

That looks fun!

ozzy

that would be ledges, their A and B level USSA competion trail. Blackout is primarly a training run for OMS freestyle.

Ledges is pretty darn steep too btw

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ledges is the perfect example of a trail that has benefited from seeded moguls. As a kid growing up, they would try and let that run bump up, but only a few times in the spring would it be any good. Purely the caliber of skiers on it and people would just slide turns down it and the bumps would be way to spread out.

When good, ledges is a great bump run.

Vince

If you check on their interactive trail map it tells you what is bumped up. Its accurate but they do rotate mowing them down so some are better than others.

gmcunni

i skied bumps on "the plunge" once in the spring there a few years back. pretty steep and fairly long. it was a warm spring day and the bumps were big and soft.

2knees

report says Big Bang, Blackout, Eclipse, Ledges, Punchline, Sels and The Plunge have bumps. also says an April 9th closing. maybe a warm day next week? who's in?