• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Long Trail Harvest Ale

Greg

Staff member
The little local grocery store down the street has been carrying these lately. Good brew!

cubco

Beer: it's just for breakfast, anymore.

Yep, those Long Trail products are pretty tasty, although for New England brewed ale I don't think you can beat Smuttynose.

Still, if it's after 5, make mine a vodka martini; straight up, one olive (if I want more "fruit" I order a salad). You can't get the elevator to the top any faster!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
cubco, i go with the twist myself. now with beer, i can't stand fruit and generally turn my nose up to those corona and limes (hell, i turn my nose up to corona period!). but a mixed drink is different. vodka martini extra extra dry :eek: with a twist. guess i might as well just put an IV fron the grey goose bottle into a vein ;)

cubco

Let's Twist Again

Couldn't agree more, rivercoil. The only use I could of for Corona would be to let a Candystriper bathe my feet with it while I enjoyed the Grey Goose IV hook-up.

skibum1321

thetrailboss said:
Double Bag is good stuff :beer:

Had a great Trout River Rainbow Red last night.
Double Bag is one of the few beers that I really really dislike. The taste just doesn't do it for me but it will get you messed up.

My favorite beers are Stouts and Porters - nothing like a good dark beer.

A great fall brew is Magic Hat Jinx. And on that note I'm off to the Magic Hat brewery (seriously).

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
double bag is a fairly dark beer. th 7%+ alcohol content will indeed to go your head quick. i really like the taste, but more than the taste, i have never had a dark beer that DAMN SMOOTH! seriously smooth, one of the smoothest beers i've ever had actually.

cantdog

Sounds good. I'll have to try it. Can anyone suggest a store in Nashua-Manchester that has it?

TenPeaks

cantdog said:
Sounds good. I'll have to try it. Can anyone suggest a store in Nashua-Manchester that has it?

You could try Shaw's in Nashua. If they don't have it Harrington Liquors in Chelmsford probably does. They have a fantastic beer/wine selection. It's worth the trip to the store if you're looking for something special.

kickstand

I should probably throw this in its own thread, but it's beer-related so what the heck - can any of you VTers give me a shout when the first cases of Magic Hat Single Chair Ale hits the shelves? I need to re-stock. Thanks.....

to keep on track, I had the Harvest at Attitash's Oktoberfest. I think I liked it.... :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I have been a fan of Long Trail and Otter Creek since I started biking in VT 5 years ago (hmph... that was before I was 21... also why I was a fan of drinking in VT).

The show "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel did a segment on the Long Trail brewery. It was very interesting and Mike Rowe is a funny dude.

I share the disdain for Corona others have expressed here. "Weasel p*ss" was the term I've heard to describe it best. The point of the lime is just to keep down the skunk scent/taste because of the clear bottle (easily light struck). Doesn't do the trick for me. I stay away from green bottles too.

I went to the Long Trail brewery last year, it was pretty cool, with the hors d'oeuvres and sample trays. Will probably go back this year.

I am also a fan of dark beers, some of my favorites are Wachusett's Black Shack Porter, Sammy Cream Stout, Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Guiness of course... I could name a few more.

I'd highly recommend www.beeradvocate.com for beer fans out there. Started by a couple bean town boys. It's like the IMDb of the beer world.

mergs

I keep Corona around for the slugs. They love it. :)

Long Trail makes a Tram Ale with a photo of the Jay Peak Tram on it. Good stuff! Will keep an eye out for the Harvest, although it might be tough getting way down here in "the south". Thanks for the heads-up tho. :beer:

Otter Creek is solid, but I cannot do the Copper Ale thing... it reminds me of drinking a beer with a mouthful of pennies. (not that I do that ;) )

Smuttynose is solid too, but I personally cannot down more than 1 or 2... the hop level is just too high for me.

But, my personal fav is Magic Hat. I've not found a Magic Hat brew that I have not liked yet.

skibum1321

kickstand said:
I should probably throw this in its own thread, but it's beer-related so what the heck - can any of you VTers give me a shout when the first cases of Magic Hat Single Chair Ale hits the shelves? I need to re-stock. Thanks.....

to keep on track, I had the Harvest at Attitash's Oktoberfest. I think I liked it.... :)
Single Chair is out at the brewery...not sure about stores yet.
But, my personal fav is Magic Hat. I've not found a Magic Hat brew that I have not liked yet.
I really don't like #9. It's everyone's favorite Magic Hat but I think it's pretty bad. Also, the new batch 370 is pretty bad.
I share the disdain for Corona others have expressed here. "Weasel p*ss" was the term I've heard to describe it best.
We always called it Mexican piss...

MtnMagic

I've brewed beer for more than 3 years. Double Bag is the finest beer in America. If you've never tried/brewed home made beer, you won't appreciate how fine Long Trail Ales are.

Beats the competition, hands down. Let's have a beer tasting weekend to vote for the top brew!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I don't know I'd go so far to say that Double Bag is the finest beer in America, or even the finest beer made in America.

While it is a very good brew, there are hundreds of thousands of micro's out there across the country. It is near the top of my list.

I salute you for being a home brewer for three years. It is a very challenging, but satisfying hobby, made about three batches myself so far.