• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Complaining about the weather

Sparky

Last weekend I skied all day Saturday in great conditions as it snowed. There was snow in the woods, the parking lot was covered there was no grass to be seen anywhere, it was winter. Now that cruel mistress Nature has ripped that away from us, toying with us as only she can. The mountain is nearly bare, but the taste still lingers. I know in my mind that it is still November , but after a taste like last weekend my meager intellect just can’t apply the necessary logic to accept the warm rain that is at this very moment stealing away the last remaining evidence of the world as we wish it was. I don’t want to hear “its coming” any more, it’s time. Tomorrow is December; there will be no more excuses. All this moisture that’s falling as useless rain needs to change to snow; it is time for the natural progression of the seasons to occur. The Gods need to get their act to gather and bring us winter as it is meant to be in the Great Northeast.

kickstand

the good news is, Old Man Winter will be returning with a vengeance this weekend, just in time for the Pats-Jets game. Man, do I love going to football games in cold weather....

dmo

57, humid and cloudy currently in Manhattan.

And to add insult to injury, it's about 82 inside the office.

JimG.

Staff member
dmo said:
57, humid and cloudy currently in Manhattan.

And to add insult to injury, it's about 82 inside the office.

About the same here in White Plains...and if one more co-worker stops at my door to tell me how happy they are about this warm weather I'm going to snap :angry: :argue: !

thetrailboss

Staff member
55 and foggy and rainy here in the Upper Valley. :evil:

Sunapee is STILL going on six trails though, so it appears we may be on snow this weekend...I hope :roll:

Big Game

One of the funniest things I ever heard --- Driving back from indoor BMX track at night through some dense Connecticut Valley fog on a crap-tastic January evening. Fog is in banks, everywhere. Thick. The foggiest fog ever.

So my buddy, an avid back country skier, says

"Great night for fog sports."

It took me 15 minutes before I could stop laughing.

Does anyone think this is a funny as I do? Or maybe my delivery stinks. But it got me thinking --- we have a whole industry based on one type of weather, i.e., snow, but nothing for fog. I mean, we're all pretty smart (right?) why can't we come up with a sport that is only worthwhile on heavy fog days.

Bosefius

Big Game said:
"Great night for fog sports."

I mean, we're all pretty smart (right?) why can't we come up with a sport that is only worthwhile on heavy fog days.

I laugh. It's funny.

But if we were all that smart, couldn't we have also figured out a way to raise the temperature at which water freezes? Even by just a few degrees?

hammer

Bob R said:
There will be no math or science on this board.(Well that I understand)
What about all the aspiring meteorologists that post here?

That's right...meteorology is an art, not a science... :wink:

Lostone

couldn't we have also figured out a way to raise the temperature at which water freezes? Even by just a few degrees?

Don't make me talk science!!!! :angry:

:lol:

Believe it or not, there is an answer. We need to raise the pressure... a lot. I believe that is how they make snow.

I have seen water boil at room temperature. It was done by evacuating the air around it. So if you want it to freeze at higher temperatures, raise the pressure.

Of course, that may be a little difficult to do on top of a mountain, so we'll probably have to set that up for the valley ski areas. :roll:

Sorry, Bob R. :oops: :lol:

ctenidae

couldn't we have also figured out a way to raise the temperature at which water freezes? Even by just a few degrees?

Getting it to freeze is easy. Getting it to stay frozen is another matter, entirely.

On teh weather front, when I got on the plan last Tuesday, it was 60 and raining. When I got back Wednesday, it was still 60 and raining. What are you guys doing? Didn't anybody put in the order for cold weather? Is the delivery guy sleeping again?

JimG.

Staff member
ctenidae said:

Getting it to freeze is easy. Getting it to stay frozen is another matter, entirely.

On teh weather front, when I got on the plan last Tuesday, it was 60 and raining. When I got back Wednesday, it was still 60 and raining. What are you guys doing? Didn't anybody put in the order for cold weather? Is the delivery guy sleeping again?

Us? It was you C10! As soon as your plane took off, the temps plummeted and skiing was great. Then you came home and it all fell apart again.

We were hoping you would just stay in Poland :lol: :wink: .