• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

trail maps

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
So far it's been one wacky season. Death and mayhem on the slopes seem to be on the rise. Going by comments in here and other snowsport forums rude and obnoxious behavior also seem to be on the rise.

How many people actually look at a trail map before they hit the hill. The "slow skiing/riding" areas are clearly marked on many trail maps as well as the "skiers/riders code of responsibiltiy". Would requiring everyone to read and pass a test on the trail/info map before they are sold a ticket help stem the tide?

Electronic dog collars work pretty well and I am sure they could be made to look very fashionable. Will it only get worse before it gets better?

I love trail maps, I collect them. They look great, framed and on the wall.

SKIQUATTRO

I colllect and frame them as well....they look great in my bar/foosball room...

smootharc

Give me a frat, a table,

Phildozer said:
Foosball eh?

Good man. I wish more people played.

a reliable "D" buddy and some sorority girls to look on and I'm foosballing all night long.....well, if it's 20+ years ago, anyways....

Love table soccer !

thetrailboss

Staff member
I like the stories that trail maps convey...what trails were added when, where, and why. Really says something about what the mtn is all about.

airhed316

I love how Trail maps turns into Foosball, soroity girls, and bars.

We used to play at The Barn at Loon for drinks (20 years ago). Girls, drinks, and foosball till closing time. I played "D".

Now I just admire my trail map collection and go to bed by 8:30.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i generally only view trail maps the first one or two times i go to a mountain, most mountain trail networks are pretty easy to remember once you have skied the mountain once or twice (at least for a seasoned skiers). or i may refer to them for trail names for reporting and write ups. i am often amused at the changes trail maps under go throughout the years, especially the re-clasifying, re-naming, and breaking up of trails into more names.

as far as knowing where the 'go slow' areas are, i think they should be pretty obvious to all skiers without looking at a trail map. intersections, lifts, and lodges all merit slower speeds. if yahoos speed through these areas, i doubt having them take a test to prove knowledge would change much. i suspect it is less a matter of knowledge than a matter of respect and decency and caring about other people and how your actions effect others. these are problems systemic throughout our society and have more to do with other factors besides knowledge.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
riverc0il said:
i generally only view trail maps the first one or two times i go to a mountain, most mountain trail networks are pretty easy to remember once you have skied the mountain once or twice (at least for a seasoned skiers). or i may refer to them for trail names for reporting and write ups. i am often amused at the changes trail maps under go throughout the years, especially the re-clasifying, re-naming, and breaking up of trails into more names.

as far as knowing where the 'go slow' areas are, i think they should be pretty obvious to all skiers without looking at a trail map. intersections, lifts, and lodges all merit slower speeds. if yahoos speed through these areas, i doubt having them take a test to prove knowledge would change much. i suspect it is less a matter of knowledge than a matter of respect and decency and caring about other people and how your actions effect others. these are problems systemic throughout our society and have more to do with other factors besides knowledge.

plus they usually have these huge banners stuck in the snow "slow skiing/riding area" course that only works if you know how to read with words containing all the letters. :lol:

hmmm radio activated cattle prods...I like it except who is going to go chasing after them to zap them.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
yea, those signs too. ski patrol don't want to be cops with radar guns on the slopes, it is hard to enforce the issue without an enforcement approach though, unfortunately.

BeanoNYC

I like to collect them, but rarely look at them when I'm skiing unless I'm trying to get to a specific area in a hurry. I like to look at them at the end of the day and go "oh that's what that trail's name was!"