• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush Trail Names

skibum1321

In one of the other posts we were throwing out trail names at the Bush and I was using all of the old names. I was wondering how many of you call the trails by their old names (Ripcord, Twist) instead of the new names (Sigi's Ripcord, Lixi's Twist). Also, I thought they changed Black Diamond to Black Diamond Rush or something a couple of years ago. Looking at the map, it says Black Diamond again. Are there any other trails I missed that have changed their names in the past 10 years or so?

I noticed that Greg was calling them by the newer names but I also know that he doesn't ski there much. For you regulars, have you converted or are you sticking old school?

Greg

Staff member
On the trail map, it's Sigi's Ripcord. On the mountain, the signs just say Ripcord. Lixi's Twist is on both the signs and the trail map. I'm a Sugarbush newbie so I didn't even know these were renamed trails. Last year was my first visit there.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
number explosion

The most interesting thing about the trail names at the Bush for me is the increase in the number of trail names over the years. Imagine thinking to yourself right after ASC bought the Bush and waking up to find that the number of trail went from 67 to 105 pretty much overnight. Going by memory here on the numbers so error rate is +/- 5.

You can get off the HG chair, ski Jester, Allyn's Traverse, Downspout, Lower Downspout, Lower Jester and finish on Gondolier all in one run. That's 6 trails.

This increases the confusion for skiers/riders which increases the use of cell phones and those "hot topic over at SkiMRV" mobile phones, people stopping in the middle of the trail to look at the trail map and people having to use those GPS devices to figure out where on the trail map they are.

Can't really blame the Bush, alot of other resorts did the same thing. The new expanded trail names are nice but only adds to the confusion. Your friends come down off the hill after a great run. You ask them which run it is as you are jonsing to get up there to do the sweet line yourself. One guy says "Sigi's" and walks off and the other guy says "Ripcord". Your in total cluelessville, bring out those techno gadgets. :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, the trail was "Black Diamond" in the 1990's and then, when ASC ran out of cash and needed a cheap improvement to boast about, they changed the name to "Black Diamond Rush" in commemoration of the 1993/1994 Warren Miller Film (aptly named "Black Diamond Rush") that was filmed at Sugarbush. Opening scene. The film shows the ORIGINAL GMX and lots of fluorescent colors, straight cut skis, and the Egan Brothers talking on a cell phone the size of a large brick! :lol: :lol: Ah, the ORIGINAL Warren Miller....gotta love him.

kcyanks1

Lostone said:
:spin: I still call them North and South. :spin:

Me too. You can see it from any time I've posted about Sugarbush this year. I also say "Ripcord" and "Twist" without the names in front, and I use "Black Diamond."

JimG.

Staff member
This is why I've stopped using trail maps. Don't need them anyway, unless someone is hurt and you need to direct ski patrol to where they are. So I carry one just in case at mountains I'm new to.

skibum1321

I wasn't at the Bush ever before the days of 100+ trails. I guess I'm just too young compared to some of you old-timers ;).

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
No one calls it Sigi's Ripcord... this year's map even still says Ripcord... changing the name of a trail that minimally isn't going to get people to recognize it...

Twist has always been sort of informally known as Lixi's Twist, and I believe the actual sign up there on the hill says that, but nowhere else does, including the online snow reports, the map, and other Sugarbush-y information.

Greg

Staff member
Strat said:
No one calls it Sigi's Ripcord... this year's map even still says Ripcord... changing the name of a trail that minimally isn't going to get people to recognize it...

Twist has always been sort of informally known as Lixi's Twist, and I believe the actual sign up there on the hill says that, but nowhere else does, including the online snow reports, the map, and other Sugarbush-y information.
FWIW, the online interactive trail map says both Sigi's Ripcord and Lixi's Twist. When writing my trip report, I referred to that to confirm I had the trail names right. Again, only been to the Bush a handful of times.

PowderDeprived

The online map, mentions many of the old North trail names, though the names at North are probably the most changed since the glen ellen days.

Zip, heh I skied that one 2 days ago, a nice gem of a trail.

The sign for twist at the top of the vally house chair, still says Lixi's twist, and the online map mentions the trail as also being known by that name, must be for space reasons on the map.

Murpy's glades, used to Sugarbush Glades, but they changed it to name it after the first general manager of sugarbush, because it was his fav trail.

ACM had some pretty crazy stuff, the trail at north now known as which way has been a terrain park at various times, and has had the name Godzilla, and apperently Fat Bob. They refered to the Slide Brook area as the wild slide, and the gatehouse area as Family Adventureland, like it was some carnival.

Sugarbush as been trying to get rid of some of the cheapo trails like zip, because I guess they figure having more solid trails is better for marketing. For instance at the top of north, zip, and spread eagle are no longer on the map, but now snowflake, and cats meow have re appeared on the map after a long absence.

Easy does it, a virtualy non existant trail in the past, is now listed as the slope served by the Tommys Toy tow.

The GMVS Poma on the inverness is no longer advertised as a lift, and the lift count is kept the same, because of the new carpet lifts at south.

I think that sugarbush should keep doing this, I don't mind a few less trails in the count, but there isn't much point in thigs like upper and lower brambles, and any real skier won't care. Deciding where to ski, based uppon advertised stats is like buying a car withouth test driving it. For me most of the best sking at the bush is in the trees, and on the great crusing blues, black bump runs, and those leg burning double dimonds. I really don't care about the number of trails, Just 10 or 15 trails at the bush can keep me busy for days.

Last edited: