What's up with Maple Valley? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    I dont know the terrain well, but throw a cheap used double on there, couple tbars and facelift the lodge and you're good to go.

Hell, screw the tbars and run it with a solid money making f&b department and you could have something. One small lift and lodge couldnt be that expensive. Think dive bar running a generator all day plus some extra, dirt cheap seasonal employees. Say, ticket lady, 2 lifties, 2 volunteer patrol. Groomer if you so desire, but its one of the lifties roomates who needs a job. That way you dont pay overtime and maintain a staff average wage of under 10 bones. Done.

Cheap booze and eats will always make money, throw a couple a frames out back for lodging. I think it could be done for a mill, maybe 1.5.

Sell a couple hundred, maybe a thousand lift tickets and you pay those seasonal workers salaries, bonus from school programs. Season passes for the local dirtbags can make up a snowmaking budget. Get a green run, base area, and one run from the top covered, rest natural.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

http://www.summitliftco.net/images/U...t_For_Sale.pdf

This ones only 150k canuckistani pesos, Its practically on sale!

Maybe you get one of the paid for groomers working again for say, 50k. Spruce the lodge for say 100, man thats steep, but I guess worth it. Stock up the bar and whatnot for 20k, that still leaves like 600 grand for lift installation and some startup capital. 1 million sure would be nice.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I dont know the terrain well, but throw a cheap used double on there, couple tbars and facelift the lodge and you're good to go.

Hell, screw the tbars and run it with a solid money making f&b department and you could have something. One small lift and lodge couldnt be that expensive. Think dive bar running a generator all day plus some extra, dirt cheap seasonal employees. Say, ticket lady, 2 lifties, 2 volunteer patrol. Groomer if you so desire, but its one of the lifties roomates who needs a job. That way you dont pay overtime and maintain a staff average wage of under 10 bones. Done.

Cheap booze and eats will always make money, throw a couple a frames out back for lodging. I think it could be done for a mill, maybe 1.5.

Sell a couple hundred, maybe a thousand lift tickets and you pay those seasonal workers salaries, bonus from school programs. Season passes for the local dirtbags can make up a snowmaking budget. Get a green run, base area, and one run from the top covered, rest natural.
    This is about what Magic is working on currently. The owner sells tickets and bumps chairs sometimes because they run so bare bones on staff. It is a great feel having the owner that involved but it isn't enough to make an area long term successful. This type of place does not have the terrain that Magic has to make grooming optional. Even Magic can't survive without good snow making (see their improvements thread). threecy is right that this place would need the Crotched treatment to get going again.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

This would have worked five or so years ago shortly after they closed. But because of the years without use, you have a lot of work to get it going again.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Why, it is still "Vermont's Best Kept Secret". That is what.

I thought that to add to the dram...as well as making the "follow-up" books no-brainahs,,,you'd be thinking about owning Diva..?

Sweet...I've got a workforce lined up!

Here's the latest from a neighbor. This is what he knew about things.
    Apparently, it's owned by an individual. It had briefly opened up again...but a young girl fell off the lift because she didn't put the bar down. A lawsuit took place, and they had to do a lot of work to the lifts to get them recertified by the insurance company. It never opened back up again.

They've been doing work out back to what he think is the septic system. Also, they've been replacing some railings and whatnot around the lodge. He thought just general upkeep so things looked nice.

Oh, and regarding the sawmill...you can still see (or could) a sign for a timber company that's near the entrance to the parkinglot on the other side of Rt30.
    SoVT

Not if you intend to have any snowmaking. Their water came from the river - I'm pretty sure they lost their grandfathered rights a few years ago by not operating for 5 (?) seasons.

I have heard (rumor but from a reliable source) that it has been purchased by two Vermont snowboarding icon's to be turned into a park ala Whaleback. It is no longer listed on Granger's real estate site who had it for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by tree_skier View Post
    I have heard (rumor but from a reliable source) that it has been purchased by two Vermont snowboarding icon's to be turned into a park ala Whaleback. It is no longer listed on Granger's real estate site who had it for sale.
    I did some digging on my part. According to the town records, it's still owned by the guy my neighbor said owned it. I "think" he's owned it for a number of years.
    SoVT

Thread Information