• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another 'Will there be snow' thread.

Powderhound21

Covington,VA (70 miles SE of Snowshoe,WV)
Website
winter.6.forumer.com
Not sure if any of you guys remember me. Im the one fron down south that came north for the First week of november (Which was priceless, awesome time.)

So, yet again, Im starting another of my (ridiculous?) "Will there be snow?" threads.

The family has a place booked at Sunday River, ME for June 18-24th. Now I KNOW for a fact that lift served is out of the question. Im will ing to walk- and if Im lucky- car.

Mt Washington is a relatively short distance away from where we will be. I know that the ravines are famous for holding snow. I need to know if they will hold long enough- Mid June.
Im *hoping* that luck will be with me, and that the perfect scenario will take place. That being 1) The auto road is open, and 2) That there is snow closeby the sides of the road (The snowfields).

I need some information/advice on what the weather will be like, and if, where, and how much snow there will be.

Thanks.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
snow fields are extremely doubtful that late in the game. you might find snow in the ravine at that time, though you probably won't be able to ski any gullies. see my july 2nd report for the type of stuff you would be looking at that late in the season. coverage seems similar to last year at this time, but anything can happen in two months. 3 hour hike for 100-200 feet of snow? your call. the weather you won't be able to predict until a day out or so at best, predicting weather up there isn't very easy. it could be near a blizzard or 70 degrees in june, who knows.

btw, if there isn't much left and the snow arch looks thin, be careful and don't be affraid to turn around. you really gotta be careful when the snow arch thins out below the waterfall on the headwall. a fall when it gets that thin gives you a 5-10 drop onto some nasty looking boulders.

loafer89

Sugarloaf has held on to patches of snow into August in the past. You might get lucky and find snow on the mountain in mid-June, but it depends on how cold this spring stays.

Sugarloaf usually runs out of people long before they run out of snow. The best place to check for hike to snow conditions would be at unoffical Sugarloaf chat group.

Good luck