• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

sundown, crotched, other lesser crowded areas

tmcc71

ski sundown, crotched

I love skiing, but hate crowds. I have traveled far and wide to find less crowded slopes with favorable conditions. Last year I discovered Tenney, Ascutney, Berkshire east and Magic. i loved them all but Tenney and Ascutney are closing. Next season i need a few more go to resorts within 2.5 hours drive time from Central Ma (worcester). I stay away from Saturdays mid season. How are the Sundays at Ski Sundown and Crotched? Any other suggestions for a reasonably uncrowded mountain within range? I am an expert skier and will usually be accompanied by by intermediate girlfriend. Thanks in advance. Tim

roark

Sundays shouldn't be too bad, but you'll likely be bored at Crotched. Best for weeknights if you're close enough (wa too crowded I guess? - crowds aren't too bad at Crotched once the schoolbuses leave), but not really enough of a destination for an expert skier on the weekend. Crotched is also very good for park rats (no half pipe, but they dedicate 2 runs to park - the midseason one has some medium to large hits). A similar drive from Worcester is Pat's, which does at least have a couple steeper pitches (FIS). And beer is served is a glass rather than plastic ;)

An overwhelming contingent of AZers ski Sundown, I'll defer.

Greg

Staff member
Sundown is small, but has decent lift capacity for a hill it's size (two triples to the top). Still, Sundays mid-season can be pretty crowded. The mountain puts on a lot of events which draw a lot of people, families, etc. By March the crowds thin out. I would suggest mid-March once Gunbarrel is bumped up and the crowds have thinned.

bvibert

Staff member
I've never been to Crotched, so I can't comment there. Sundays at Sundown are typically less crowded than Saturdays, but I don't think I'd say it's not 'crowded'. I don't really have any experience at other places for comparison though since I mostly ski weekdays when I travel to ski. The lift lines move pretty quickly at Sundown, usually with a 5 minute or less wait time, even when it's busy.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Jury is still out on both Tenney and Ascutney. Though less so on Ascutney, it seems.

Dartmouth fits the bill as does Suicide Six (I have not been to either). roark already mentioned Pat's and of course there is Gunstock though I would not put Pat's or Gunstock in the less crowded category. If you are really willing to drive and likely overnight, you'll find Saddleback in Maine has a similar vibe to both Burke and Magic. Black Mountain in NH would probably be pushing past three hours for you but Black is a personal favorite of mine in the mid-sized less crowded category.

gmcunni

i'd give Bromley a look. won't challenge you as much as Magic but if you are skiing with intermediate GF i think you'd have a good day. Can't speak for crowds all season long but the few times i've been there on weekends it wasn't bad at all.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Ragged - I'll show you around.

I am a passholder there for the specific reason that it is uncrowded. I ski there almost every Saturday and the longest I'll ever wait in the singles line is 5ish minutes. Much less on the Spear Triple, though it's a long slow lift. Easy to find room on the slopes. Great Tree skiing when the natural is there. Though that was only for about 3 weeks last season.

sucks for bumps is my only complaint.

whitemtn27

I second Ragged, and I would suggest Bousquet. Very affordable, good conditions, and hardly ever crowded. Butternut is another good option in the Berkshires, very similar terrain and layout to Jiminy but no slopeside condo-plex. Still gets a bit crowded on holiday weekends, but less than the other options in your area.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If you're suggesting Butternut, I'd recommend driving the extra 20 min or so and go to Catamount. As an advanced skier, I think you'd be pretty bored at Butternut. Catamount can give more options that your GF will also find interesting. I've only been there on a weekday, but there was no crowd issue at all that day. Whereas the one time I went to Butternut, it was a mob scene. I realize one visit does not a trend make, but it's my observation...

Angus

as documented here, when there's good natural snow - Ragged is a hoot. Bromley, I really like and skis bigger than the vertical IMO. Will satisfy the intermediate.

tmcc71

Hi, I have been searching for new places to go as two of my favorite (because I hate crowds) areas have closed. Tenney and ascutney have closed and they were my best bets for smaller crowds. I have heard sundown and crotched are not so crowded. Is there any truth to this? My home mountain is wachusett and I don't need to tell you what happens to that place on weekends. I live in worcester and travel every Sunday (because Sunday crowds are smaller) up to 2.5 hours away. Any info on Sundown or Crotched and helpful hints about those two areas will be helpful. Thanks in advance. Tim

gmcunni

Sundown can be very busy after school I have not recently skied there on a weekend so i do not know. It is only 625 vertical so it is smaller than the places you speak of.

@ Sundown Saturdays can be busy too, Sundays are a bit better. I've not skied ascutney , tenny or WA so i can't compare them to Sundown but i'd suspect Sundown was at bit smaller. if you like lapping bumps you'd probably have a good day. if you are looking for lots of groomers and vert you might be be better off north. Magic might be a good call and in another thread Berkshire East is getting some love for low crowds.

roark

The answer is Magic.

Crotched is typcially not too crowded, but similar in size/scope/focus to wachusett (a commuter hill - not really a destination). Worth a visit, but I only have a pass there for night skiing. Unless your focus is parks (Peaks, who also own Mt Snow, do an excellent job with the parks there), I'd still recommend Magic.

Magic is not crowded with great terrain, similar drive as to Ascutney. Old school vibe, classic new england cruisers on the east side and the most challenging terrain south of MRG on the west side. Prices are quite reasonable (unfortunately you just missed the season pass deadline). Check it out. Myself, djspookman, orangegondola or Rusty Groomer (and others...) are there pretty much every weekend and are happy to show folks around.

mikestaple

Ragged - I'll show you around.

I am a passholder there for the specific reason that it is uncrowded. I ski there almost every Saturday and the longest I'll ever wait in the singles line is 5ish minutes. Much less on the Spear Triple, though it's a long slow lift. Easy to find room on the slopes. Great Tree skiing when the natural is there. Though that was only for about 3 weeks last season.

sucks for bumps is my only complaint.

Agree on all of the above. Evelyn gets the six pack loaded quickly! Will be very nice with a little more snow making and a faster chair than the Spear Triple.

Seriously, though. Let's go dark on this little gem. It's a perfect day trip. Love the lodge and the fireplace, the food, and I agree on the bumps. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

mister moose

The Mr Moose Rule #1 on hill selection: Never drive south to go skiing.

That said, my take on Butternut is you would be bored to death there, but the GF would love it. And for the same drive time you could be farther north. I like the Bromley sugestion. Magic is somewhat less intermediate friendly as the snowmaking is more limited and the trails are narrower. Berkshire East is another strong choice. Bousquet is small (Think 3 trails sometimes) but quaint, cheap, and eminently day trippable.

For real low crowds, try Blandford: www.skiblandford.org