• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak Conceptual Development Plan (2011-2016)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Thanks for the tip, SBR. I would feel my life was never complete if I didn't have one last time to bask in the putrid stink of Jay's Stateside bathrooms. The uncertain look guys give each other in the 2nd floor bathrooms when trying to figure out how three guys can line up for a piss at the same time without losing their man hood is priceless. I'd be there for the tear down but only if it is going to be a celebration, bon fire style.

On a serious note, late season at Jay is going to be teh suck without that lodge. Are they going to line up portapoties at the Jet? Or are they going to ask people to go Tramside? What about when operations go to stateside only? Those of us without season passes are going to need to drive to Tramside and then drive back with our tickets? Oh wait, I need to do that any ways for my vouchers. But that is a big much to ask someone to do when paying full fair. Hopefully they are not going to shut everything down once Tramside can no longer be connected?

On a serious note, late season at Jay is going to be teh suck without that lodge. Are they going to line up portapoties at the Jet? Or are they going to ask people to go Tramside? What about when operations go to stateside only? Those of us without season passes are going to need to drive to Tramside and then drive back with our tickets? Oh wait, I need to do that any ways for my vouchers. But that is a big much to ask someone to do when paying full fair. Hopefully they are not going to shut everything down once Tramside can no longer be connected?

That is the big question and we wondered about it as well. Maybe they will open up the Mountain Learning Center as a temporary lodge. Or, in typical Jay logic, make you park at Statside and take a shuttle bus over to Tramside to get a ticket. Thankfully I have a pass and would suffer the indignity of putting my boots on at the car rather than park at Tramside.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Suffering an indignity at Jay? Why I never...

All the tailgaters better be out there in force this year whether stateside lifts are turning or not. Who knows if they'll let them tailgate in front of the new lodge and the view certainly won't quite be the same either...

...at least they'll be able to have a clean bathroom, regardless.

fbrissette

...at least they'll be able to have a clean bathroom, regardless.

The main problem is that most Jay visitors value clean bathroom way more than a nice view of the hill and easy access to the chair.

Had a great run in Canyonland yesterday. Actually thought of you while skiing it... :lol:

fbrissette

On a sad note, heard that Jay Peak is planning to close on Sunday April 21st. Apparently, the power to run the jet goes through the Stateside Lodge and to stick to the schedule, power will have to be shut down by that date.

Looks like there will be No May skiing this year. The way this late March is shaping up, there should be some great turns on the jet for those willing to earn their turns one month from now.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
That is a bummer. The timeline to get the old buildings/lifts torn down and the new lift and hotel/lodge built and operational by Mid-November(?) is an incredibly tight timeline. Maybe just the lift will be operational by then and the new lodge erected but not finished.
I wonder if they keep Tramside open longer if conditions warrant?
I was also going to suggest they move their spring operations to Burke. But Burke is kind of in the same boat with the construction of their new hotel/lodge and possibly work in East Bowl as well.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I was at Jay on Sun, and in the Demo shop on the laminated trail map on the counter, next to the Proposed Expansion, someone wrote 2016 in marker. This is probably not news to those of you who follow this closely, but that seems really far away.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
The deal

For the sake of reality (I know, why throw that into the mix, right?), a few notes.

In order to try to deliver the new baselodge and Hotel for Christmas, and assuming permits are in hand which aren't as of yet, we'll need to stop ops on the Jet as of April 21 to begin the process of moving power. We're also planning an end of State Chalet (Chalet Shakedown) for Sunday April 6th and will be announcing those plans either today or tomorrow--bonfire notwithstanding, we hope you all can make it. If permits drag a bit, we'll continue to push the close date of the Jet--it's almost day-to-day at this point.

Right now we're looking at possibly pushing snow to the Taxi Quad area to try and at least have something (predicated on something existing) for last weekend in April/May. We'll keep you in the loop as that plan develops. Definitely not ideal, especially from one's perspective who likes to push it as hard as possible, but we're without much choice on this one. We'd be happy to keep Tramside open but options are on the limited side given run outs and the probability of limited cover.

Them's the facts. More to come.

On a sad note, heard that Jay Peak is planning to close on Sunday April 21st. Apparently, the power to run the jet goes through the Stateside Lodge and to stick to the schedule, power will have to be shut down by that date.

Looks like there will be No May skiing this year. The way this late March is shaping up, there should be some great turns on the jet for those willing to earn their turns one month from now.

BenedictGomez

If permits drag a bit, we'll continue to push the close date of the Jet--it's almost day-to-day at this point.

Unless the permitting process is more efficient in n.VT than everywhere else in America, I'm guessing the Jet stays a bit longer. ;-)

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Right but, unbearable emoticon aside, this isn't a process we initiated 45 minutes ago either. My guess, at least at this point, is we'll have it in time.

Unless the permitting process is more efficient in n.VT than everywhere else in America, I'm guessing the Jet stays a bit longer. ;-)

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Thanks for the feedback Steve. As of the Marrh 14th review, it looks like approval of the Act 250 permit for the Powerline 6 got delayed by five days while a stream buffer encroachment issue is figured out. It sounds like that issue may result in the bottom terminal being moved a lttile further downhill (toward the new lodge :)).
I'm guessing JPR is waiting on final approval of that permit before issuing the Act 250 application for the new Stateside Hotel/Lodge?

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Mostly right. The Lift and Hotel 250's are close, but completely separate. We're resolving different stream buffer issues on both which, as you noted, will result in a lowering of the bottom terminal by 25-30'.

Thanks for the feedback Steve. As of the Marrh 14th review, it looks like approval of the Act 250 permit for the Powerline 6 got delayed by five days while a stream buffer encroachment issue is figured out. It sounds like that issue may result in the bottom terminal being moved a lttile further downhill (toward the new lodge :)).
I'm guessing JPR is waiting on final approval of that permit before issuing the Act 250 application for the new Stateside Hotel/Lodge?

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Mostly right. The Lift and Hotel 250's are close, but completely separate. We're resolving different stream buffer issues on both which, as you noted, will result in a lowering of the bottom terminal by 25-30'.
I figured they were separate. I wonder why the Hotel's application isn't on the Act 250 website? I've been waiting to model it in Google Earth :)

BigJay

Assuming the stream buffer issue is resolved, I think it is a go. That parking lot is going to be nuts with material for both the lift and the hotel being laid out for construction.

I would prefer a lower season's pass price. At the rate e season's pass as been going up in e past 3 years, we don't know if we'll spend more time in the bc in the next couple of years!

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
We're freezing or lowering all of our Season Pass rates this year. You're a big roller fella, you can swing it.

I would prefer a lower season's pass price. At the rate e season's pass as been going up in e past 3 years, we don't know if we'll spend more time in the bc in the next couple of years!