• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Grounds for Divorce??

legalskier

and if we should spend the money so close to the wedding

Get married there, then she'll have to go.

A Vermont Wedding Setting As Memorable As Your Special Day
The Ponds at Bolton Valley Vermont features breathtaking panoramic views, an extraordinary deck overlooking the spring-fed pond and the elegance of a great room where guests may enjoy the spectacular display of nature that surrounds them. Whatever the size of your wedding we will ensure that your style shines through with thoughtful planning and attention to detail. We have a formal seating capacity for up to 300 people and a maximum capacity of 400 for large receptions. Our Wedding Coordinator will provide sample menus, accommodation options, referrals to top Vermont wedding and party professionals and details regarding a wide range of activities. We will carefully tend to each aspect of your event and accommodate your special requests. The Ponds at Bolton Valley Vermont is a romantic setting for both wedding ceremonies and receptions.

http://www.boltonvalley.com/groups/weddings_civil_unions/

jimmywilson69

The only down side is we haven't taken a warm weather vacation in almost 20 years because she always insists that vacations are for snowboarding.

Nothing wrong with ski Vacations!

I'll chime in as my wife is in the middle with skiing. She doesn't need to hit the local hill here in PA every 2nd or 3rd day like I do, but she does enjoy going on trips to ski.

She is also very understanding of my ski addiction, as It only lasts about 4 months. Hell she even told me to go with my buddies to Colorado in a few weeks when they called last minute to plan it.

I guess I have it pretty good. Hopefully you can get there with your wife.

rtibbs4

Website
www.basecampmountsnow.com
Get a ski pre-nup outlining the minimum number of days you will ski each year with or without her and include any yearly ski trips. I had done a yearly ski trip out west 10 years in a row before marrying my wife and now seven years after and she has busted my balls all seven years. And it really pisses me off.

deadheadskier

Staff member
i fell in love and married a non-skier. i would not make that mistake again.

I did as well, but certainly am fine with her not skiing. I only get minor guilt trips here and there.

I also dated a girl for 7 years between High School and College. Terminal novice who had no problem shelling out $70 a day to only take 5 runs and spend most of the day in the lodge drinking hot cocoa.

I'll take the non-skiing S/O for $2000 Alex.

ctenidae

:roll:

Stay bachelors. Do the women of the world a favor.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way around- married, they're off the market. Sure the wife is taking one for the team, but everyone else is safe. Single, they're free to get their Rico Suave on...

rico-1.jpg

4aprice

i skiied with the now mrs. quattro for 10 years before i popped the ring......had to make sure she was a skiier at heart....these things cant be rushed....

Exactly. My wife was a skiing partner even before she was a steady girl friend. 8 years for us before we decided to get hitched.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

2knees

i could write a 500 page manual on how to get around problems like this.

Edd

My SO is very understanding about ski trips. I don't blame the OP for venting; money spent on a huge wedding is like setting money on fire. Good luck.

Breeze

Hubster and I learned to get around this problem early on. We can be married, and each of us can go have fun on mountain. I never had to ski with him and he never had to ski with me. Neither of us had any hold over the other on mountain. Go do what you want or can, we'll go home together.

I'll never forget the day he was waiting for me in the chair lift line at Mt Abrams, when he got to watch me navigate my first full blue+ trail, and the Boris Badenov Headwall all by myself without a hint of pizza wedge.

God that was such a sweet day. He had tears rolling down his face. I think he was more excited than I was, and it was all because he LET ME and LEFT ME on my own to get it as I needed to get it. Patience is truly key.

Breeze

mister moose

Tell her she needs as many days on hill as possible to get conditioned. Give her a good massage to help the aches.

This is the best advice so far. Ski hard in the morning. Find a fun non ski activity for the afternoon. Add a romantic dinner somewhere. Doesn't have to be expensive. Burlington isn't that far. Ben and Jerry's. Massage oil and candlelight. Pack a continental breakfast in bed. She'll be asking when the next trip is.....

tjf67

So the future wife just told me she is “torn” about going up to Bolton Valley for a couple of days because she doesn’t know if she could ski for multiple days, if she’ll be sober enough to drive and if we should spend the money so close to the wedding.

Question for the group is do I have grounds to call this thing off lol? Let me get this straight I can’t go to Vermont to go skiing (btw I have a sick rate of $59PP per night) for four days but its ok to spend my life savings on a wedding/engagement.

Just venting but I’m sure others have similar conversations with their significant others.

HaHa good luck. This is one of those decision points in your life. I would take the low rode cuase I took the high road the last time and could not live with yself

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Whatever you do and whoever you marry, it must be clear that skiing comes with the package. You're not gonna give it up and it's always gonna be there, just like a mother-in-law. I'm at a point now after 26 years that I go skiing mostly without my family. Their interests have diverged and we have a truce. Sadly most of our friends have given it up too, but I persevere, hang onto that one last bud and make new friends (or are they enemies?)

I still participate in that most-dreaded of all things, a warm-weather vacation, but the quid pro quo is that the winter months are not to be messed with. I was absolutely miserable taking a trip to the islands in the middle of March. Of course, everything in marriage is a compromise. But this is one area that I will not bend to without a big fight.

I explain that if you ever have to quit, mental illness will be at your doorstep. that usually gets me a hall pass, unless of course the mother-in-law comes a-courting. eek!

Edd

I still participate in that most-dreaded of all things, a warm-weather vacation, but the quid pro quo is that the winter months are not to be messed with. I was absolutely miserable taking a trip to the islands in the middle of March.

You're a better man than I am. I'm considering a non-ski trip this April because I'm injured but normally even April is reserved for ski-only activities.

jaja111

...... Terminal novice who had no problem shelling out $70 a day to only take 5 runs and spend most of the day in the lodge drinking hot cocoa...........

THIS! This! This is hell. Not only does one have to find a skier (or boarder), but one has to find an athlete to some degree. I have had gf's that skied but expended no more energy than a game of croquet and had just as much passion for it. This leads to a ton of wasted obligatory cash (like a wedding eh?) and eventually an injury that ends skiing all together for her, forever driving a wedge into the relationship.

This isn't just a question of compatibility within somewhat similar interests. You gotta have a partner that likes to play hard if you play hard.