Today I felt old because... - Page 24

AlpineZone

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I get Id'ed about 5% of the time now. Today was one of those days.
    I got rejected for buying beer last week because I had 'out of state ID'. It doesn't matter if I'm from Pluto, I'm clearly not under 21.

A famous 57 year old musician dies and he's too young to have played "my kind of music".

Tavis Smiley did a pair of interesting interviews with Prince about 5 or 10 years ago: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/...writer-prince/
    Last edited by jimk; Apr 22, 2016 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    A famous 57 year old musician dies and he's too young to have played "my kind of music".
    +1
    Last edited by bigbog; Apr 23, 2016 at 10:20 AM.
    SteveD

Today I felt old because...

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post

Tavis Smiley did a pair of interesting interviews with Prince about 5 or 10 years ago: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/...writer-prince/
    I've read or watched someone comparing Prince to Hendrix a couple of times since yesterday and I'm not feeling it. He reminds me more of David Bowie, or perhaps a composite of the two. I've been humming Prince tunes to myself for a full day now.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I've read or watched someone comparing Prince to Hendrix a couple of times since yesterday and I'm not feeling it. He reminds me more of David Bowie, or perhaps a composite of the two. I've been humming Prince tunes to myself for a full day now.
    He could play guitar like Hendrix and he was an innovator of music, art, and fashion like Bowie. But it is really hard to actually compare him to anyone because he was so unique.

There were a lot of cool things about Prince. One of the coolest things was that while he seemed to be in his own stratosphere he was also keenly tuned into what was going on. And he acknowledged things in a subtle and cool way. For example, Foo Fighters made a big deal of covering his 'Darling Nikki'. Prince had no comment, but then blew the doors off of Foo Fighter's 'Best of You' during his Super Bowl performance. Even better example: Dave Chappelle and Charlie Murphy had a hilarious bit about meeting Prince. It included Chappelle dressed up as Prince. Prince had no comment....then he used Chappelle as the cover of one of his records!! Beat Chappelle at his own game. Genius.

Breakfast Can Wait Prince Cover - P - 2013.jpg.jpg

What I'm really impressed with is hearing about all the charitable work he did and just how generous he was. He made a point to never call attention to it.

The other thing I'm curious to see is the breadth of material of his that comes out posthumously. It might end up being nothing at all depending on the wishes of his estate, but apparently he had a vault with 100s of unreleased songs dating all the way back to the Purple Rain era.

Dude got a ton or tail...

Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Catskills View Post
    Dude got a ton or tail...
    Purple Rain came out when I was 14. Apollonia blew my little mind....

PurpleRain_086Pyxurz.jpg

If you listen to those Tavis Smiley interviews (about ten mins each) he was very thoughtful and had become quite religious. He was a Jehovah's Witness and I learned that those folks don't vote, but are sort of neutral political observers. He said racy music was boring now that everyone was racy and he changed some lyrics in some of his performances including eliminating curse words. He was also epileptic as a child and felt faith helped him get over it. Due to his small size he was bullied as a kid and his efforts to become a musician helped him rise above that as he gained skill and esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    riding lift today with son, 22 years old and graduating college this spring (that makes me feel old too). He leaves tomorrow for spring break in Cabo San Lucas

me - so any plans other than drinking and hanging by the pool?
    son - we'll find stuff to do, plus drinking and hanging by the pool.
    me - i think there is a famous tequila from that area, called Cabo Wabo or something like that
    son - yeah, i think i've heard of it
    me - Sammy Hagar owns Cabo Wabo tequila
    Son - who is Sammy Hagar?

Who is the Motor City Madman?????
    I blame that on dad my 21 yo son knows who he is

Thread Information