• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/17/2004 Mighty Ski Ward - Shrewsbury, MA

ChileMass

1/17/2004:

The Mighty Ski Ward, Shrewsbury, MA:

Conditions: Excellent

Trip Report: Got in a few turns today with my younger daughter at the fabulous Ski Ward in Shrewsbury, which is about 4 miles form my house. The marketing slogan at Ward is "Where it all Begins", and they aren't kidding. It's almost all kids in lessons or being taught by parents - it's a cool place to get your kids started. The lodge is crowded, old, smelly and beat-up, but the hot chocolate is perfect and they have terrific onion rings. It's a more rustic version of Nashoba Valley in Westford. Ward makes all kinds of snow, and their cover right now is 100%. Not a bare spot or patch of ice to be found. The best thing is the new triple chair which eliminates the long liftlines that used to plague Ward. Today, the parking lot was about as full as I have ever seen it, but there was almost no wait at the chair. Lots of picnic tables outside in the sun for a quick break, and then back to 6-10 runs per hour (5 minutes up, 1-2 minutes down). You can get a lot of runs in in just a few hours.........a great place to get kids started in the Worcester area......