• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

10 Classic Northeast Ski Lifts

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
Since I am assuming AlpineZoner ss20 wouldn't start a topic on his own video, I just want to share it with everyone for him. He worked hard on it (for months, I believe) and I think it will generate a good discussion. Enjoy!

twinplanx

Cool video!! Maybe its just me, or the mobile device I'm using to view it but some of those red & blue fonts get lost in the background making them impossible to read:( Otherwise great video and hope to see more like this to come :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Very cool! I would have thought that Sugarbush's gondola and Castlerock Chair would have been on there. In fact, the gondola at :22 is the Sugarbush gondola and not the Sugarloaf one (sorry).

Love the info and vintage video/pics. I agree with the list. The Killington Gondola was truly a feat of engineering.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
In fact, the gondola at :22 is the Sugarbush gondola and not the Sugarloaf one (sorry).

Love the info and vintage video/pics. I agree with the list. The Killington Gondola was truly a feat of engineering.

You're the second person who's said that about the SL gondi. I'll fix it. Darn right about the Killington Gondola! Bankrupted Carlevaro-Savio and almost Killington. Too bad it's gone and replaced with only 2 stages.

SIKSKIER

At 2:10 a plaque shows Pico's t-bar as being the first alpine lift in North America.I know there are more but Cannon's tram was certainly before that in 1938.It was the first tram in North America.

First ropetow was in Quebec in 1933.
First chairlift was Sun Valley in 1936.

Last edited:

Newpylong

You're the second person who's said that about the SL gondi. I'll fix it. Darn right about the Killington Gondola! Bankrupted Carlevaro-Savio and almost Killington. Too bad it's gone and replaced with only 2 stages.

True the old K Gondola was awesome, but I'm glad it was only replaced with two stages. Can you imagine the clusterf*ck of having two Gondies dumping out at K Peak? The third stage never ran due to wind anyway.

drjeff

Great work on the video! Pretty sure though that the total length off all 3 stages of the original Killington Gondola was 3.5 miles, not 2.5 miles which i'm pretty sure is the total length of the Skyeship from the Rte 4 base up to the top of Skye Peak

ScottySkis

True the old K Gondola was awesome, but I'm glad it was only replaced with two stages. Can you imagine the clusterf*ck of having two Gondies dumping out at K Peak? The third stage never ran due to wind anyway.
It is gone, now were do you have your safety meetings.?

steamboat1

I don't think Smuggs has any plans on replacing any of their lifts in the near future. All the chairs & towers on all the upper mountain lifts have either already received a new coat of paint or are in the process of being repainted. I didn't go down to Morse to see what was going on there. They're all the same color, dark green.

ss20

I don't think Smuggs has any plans on replacing any of their lifts in the near future. All the chairs & towers on all the upper mountain lifts have either already received a new coat of paint or are in the process of being repainted. I didn't go down to Morse to see what was going on there. They're all the same color, dark green.

There have been rumors to replace Sterling with a HSQ. Check the Ski Resort Challenges. They say once the trails are widened and get beefed up snowmaking (which has happened) they will add the new lift. Only a matter of time and money now. I doubt M1 will ever be replaced.

steamboat1

There have been rumors to replace Sterling with a HSQ. Check the Ski Resort Challenges. They say once the trails are widened and get beefed up snowmaking (which has happened) they will add the new lift. Only a matter of time and money now. I doubt M1 will ever be replaced.

Sterling was being repainted also. Doubt they'd spend that kind of money if they were planning to replace it anytime soon. I assume it costs some bucks to re do a whole lift seeing how Magic had to raise money to repaint their red chair.

Forgot to add that was a nice video. I'm getting old seeing that I've rode most of those lifts.

ss20

Great work on the video! Pretty sure though that the total length off all 3 stages of the original Killington Gondola was 3.5 miles, not 2.5 miles which i'm pretty sure is the total length of the Skyeship from the Rte 4 base up to the top of Skye Peak

Thank you Dr. Jeff. Upon further research I've found you are correct. I went by the figures on Skilift.org's installation sheets. The 2 and a 1/2 miles only counted the first and second stages. For some reason the third stage is not listed. Also, the third stage was built after the first 2. I've asked the KillingtonZone crew for further detail.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sterling was being repainted also. Doubt they'd spend that kind of money if they were planning to replace it anytime soon. I assume it costs some bucks to re do a whole lift seeing how Magic had to raise money to repaint their red chair.

Forgot to add that was a nice video. I'm getting old seeing that I've rode most of those lifts.

I think they've had plans for Sterling for quite some time but just not enough cash to do it. Snowmonster and I skied there in March 2011 and the lifts, though older, were well maintained and adequate for a Sunday crowd. That said, I know that they do have trouble on busy days keeping up with the crowds and Hall has not been in business for quite some time now. They've done a good job of getting their hands on Hall lifts and parts so far, but it will become increasingly difficult.

Upgrading Madonna to an HSQ would be pretty expensive considering the vert, difficult terrain that it has to ascend, and the excavation needed to put in a summit terminal. IIRC the summit area was pretty small and had lots of ledge. An HSQ on that route would really cut the ride time down and put Smuggs on the radar for folks who prefer HS lifts. The drive would need some serious horsepower.

On another note, I have not heard of any lift installs in the NE. None at Killington; no work at Jay. Nothing big. That is interesting. Some work is going on out here at Snowbird and Squaw Valley.

Edd

Smuggs and Saddleback are #1 and #2 in the "needs a new lift" category if you ask me.

Nice video.

ScottySkis

Smuggs and Saddleback are #1 and #2 in the "needs a new lift" category if you ask me.

Nice video.

I been to Smuggs once but really liked their lift chair, I don't think it took longer then 12 minutes to get to the top and their was no lines on a weekend.