• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

11/10 Gathering Contingency Plans

What alternatives work best for you (select all that apply, public poll)?

• Earn turns at Killington on 11/10

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Greg

Staff member
Okay everyone. I really think is makes sense to finalize a contingency plan for Friday. This is what I posted in the initial Killington - 11/10 thread:

Okay folks - it's pretty clear to me that Killington will not be an option on Friday; unless a miracle happens, and/or they figure out a way to download. With that said, I'd really, really like to ski with y'all on Friday. Not a whole lot of options, but here goes:
  1. Move the venue to Sunday River, provided they open this week
  2. Earn turns at Killington
  3. Postpone this thing and propose a new Killington gathering date
Option 1 is definitely on the table for me. I would need to stay over somewhere up North on Thursday night, which already is worked out. If SR is open with lift-serviced skiing, I am down despite the frightening long ride for one or two runs. I would be doing this just out of spite actually; kinda like a "somehow, some way, I'm gonna ski" mentaility.

Option 2 doesn't sound all that appealing to me. Certainly not that I couldn't swing the hike physically or wouldn't enjoy it, but more due to the fact that a 3:30 drive to ski a few runs on ungroomed mounds of manmade snow doesn't sound worth it. However, if a decent number of folks in this group want to do that, I'll go.

As much as I hate to say it, option 3 seems the most reasonable. The only day that really looks feasible for me right now is Saturday, Nov. 25, T-Day weekend. That was a planned ski day for me anyway and if this option is open to others, I'll just work this Friday instead of "forcing" a ski day.

Any thoughts or other ideas?
I'll add a poll to this thread to figure out what works best for everyone. If you have other ideas, please post them here. Also, realize Option 1 is obviously contigent on Sunday River being open by Friday. There has been a lot of rumors, but nothing officially has been announced. Also, for option 3, please propose some dates here that work best for you. Again, I could probably fo Saturday, November 25 (T-day weekend) right now.

Greg

Staff member
I voted. After thinking about it, I think hiking K on Friday is out for me. I don't want to blow a vacation day for only a run or two.

Grassi21

I would do Sunday River if its open.

I'm also down for postponing the K-Mart gathering.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
OK, been trying to be optomistic with a Killington opening this week. Now I'm starting to be realistic :( . I say unless something happens at K this week, we postpone. Even if Sunday River were to open, I think terrain would be too limited to justify a 6 hour ride up there.

Greg

Staff member
Well...the word I'm getting from the River is that Friday is "unlikely". I guess things can change, but I think at this point, postponing is the only realistic option. These dates work for me so far:

Saturday, November 25
Friday, December 1
Friday, December 8
Friday, December 15

I personally would much rather do a weekday, than a Saturday during T-day weekend, but I'm game for pretty much any of the above dates at this point.

Seems to me that not only is October lift-serviced skiing gone, but dependable early to mid-November lift-serviced skiing is quickly becoming history as well.. :(

Grassi21

Saturday, November 25
Friday, December 1
Friday, December 8
Friday, December 15

So K isn't looking too good and Sunday River probably won't have those lifts turning. It sounds like a bunch of us will be saving that vacation day for better snow. All in due time folks. It will happen.

I could do Nov 25 but much like Greg, I'd prefer midweek. The other Fridays sound good as of today. My trip to Paris was postponed and it might end up being in early Dec.

I started a new job today. I'm excited about the new opportunity and chance to learn something new. It turns out my new boss is a skier! She has been skiing since forever, does trips out West, moguls etc. With a flexible schedule and a boss who loves to ski, I'm shooting for lots of midweek days this season.

Vortex

Congrats on the new job. Good news is always around if you look for it.

Bretton woods still may have something to say about opening when this all settles. I'm planning on the River for SAT unless BW opens and SR does not. IF no-one opens then I'll be hiking and burning flesh in the lot at the River.

2knees

I'll wait till the next shot at killington on a weekday. Not to sound like a primadonna on this, but early season, i really try to avoid kmart on a weekend. I'll go for any weekday people can do it.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Well...the word I'm getting from the River is that Friday is "unlikely". I guess things can change, but I think at this point, postponing is the only realistic option. These dates work for me so far:

Saturday, November 25
Friday, December 1
Friday, December 8
Friday, December 15

I personally would much rather do a weekday, than a Saturday during T-day weekend, but I'm game for pretty much any of the above dates at this point.

Seems to me that not only is October lift-serviced skiing gone, but dependable early to mid-November lift-serviced skiing is quickly becoming history as well.. :(
Going into Dec gives us other options on other mountains as well. I think attendance will suffer a bit with people going other places or there home mountain.

JimG.

Staff member
If K does not open Friday (not looking good for that), I'm out for this Friday. Not going to drive 3+ hours to hike on manmade snow nor will I drive 6+ hours for a WROD at Sunday River.

I'll save the off day for better snow later in the season.

Greg

Staff member
Going into Dec gives us other options on other mountains as well. I think attendance will suffer a bit with people going other places or there home mountain.

I thought about that. I propose Killington gatherings in November for that very reason - it's usually the only game in town and a cool way to get the season kicked off. Once December rolls around and Hunter, Jiminy, etc. open up, I usually opt for those to cut the drive time. Don't feel like you guys need to stick to the dates I proposed. If there are other days that are better for you and others in November, propose some. Unfortunately, I think even 11/17 is a long shot.

I'm really bummed about this. I thought I was getting over it, but 2knee's "kick in the nuts" observation was right on. It seems to me they had the window to blow top-to-bottom. They did it in 2004. Beating a dead horse, I guess. When thinking ratinally about this, what they are doing is probably a smart move, but man, I thought we were in this year... :(

bvibert

Staff member
I voted for SR or postpone, but realistically I think it's best to just postpone... :(

The 25th would work for me, though a Friday is probably better...

Greg

Staff member
I may try for Hunter the 27th or 28th.

Maybe I'll do the 28th if they're open...

I officially locked the original thread. :( If we do propose a new Killington gathering date, we can start a new thread. That one was getting unwieldy anyway...

madskier6

I voted to postpone the outing. I can't drive to Sunday River that weekend so I'll have to go to K another day. I'll be at my condo in VT this weekend so maybe I can get some turns in somehow. Hiking for turns with my children probably won't happen because they won't want to pay the price.

I know it looks dead for lift serviced this weekend at K but I'm still holding out a slgiht glimmer of hope that maybe K will get a dumping on Thursday or Friday and be able to open up on Sat. Probably won't happen but a guy can dream, can't I?

thaller1

Congrats on the new job. Good news is always around if you look for it.

Bretton woods still may have something to say about opening when this all settles. I'm planning on the River for SAT unless BW opens and SR does not. IF no-one opens then I'll be hiking and burning flesh in the lot at the River.

I'm with you BobR!! Nothing like burn kielbasa at the base of the mountain!

Vortex

I still blame Oz for that. He still blames me. Either way. The dogs would not eat that after we turned it to Charcoal. See Ya Sat somewhere. Thaller1 tell Whaller I want to be impressed by his micro brew selection.