• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/27/21 Catamount - great mountain, rough conditions

ctenidae

Resort or Ski Area
Catamount
Date
Feb 27, 2021
Snow Conditions
  1. Slush or Spring Snow
  2. Chopped or Crud
Took the kids to Catamount for 3-9pm night skiing. It rained all morning, but cleared out early afternoon. Fair amount of fog, some slush and slop around, as you'd expect. Felt late-Springy, hopefully the cold over the past few days helps them recover.

Overall, we had a great time. Enough variety in terrain, especially with the 9 and 7 year old. Three lodges ought to be nice in normal times for spreading people out. I like the layout, too - seems you can move around the mountain to hunt conditions and avoid crowds.

Going back Saturday.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Took the kids to Catamount for 3-9pm night skiing. It rained all morning, but cleared out early afternoon. Fair amount of fog, some slush and slop around, as you'd expect. Felt late-Springy, hopefully the cold over the past few days helps them recover.

Overall, we had a great time. Enough variety in terrain, especially with the 9 and 7 year old. Three lodges ought to be nice in normal times for spreading people out. I like the layout, too - seems you can move around the mountain to hunt conditions and avoid crowds.

Going back Saturday.

Catamount has always been a little underrated in my book but it is really starting to be criminally underrated for what people on this forum want, imo. Steep trails and there's always a decent amount of ungroomed terrain. Skis larger than 1,000 vertical. Lots of winding trails and plenty of ways down. Size-wise it's nearing Jiminy Peak as they've added a trail or two each year for the past 5 years and it's becoming pretty big.

Best mountain in the area, imo. There's always been a friendly rivalry between them and Butternut but Catamount's terrain is now definitively superior by any measure.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
How does it compare to Plattekille

Not comparable...Plattekill superior.

I've made the argument it's pretty close to Berkshire East with a little more grooming and not as much tree skiing, as expected since they don't get as much snow. But you can find a good assortment of decently steep trails, moguls, and a few pockets of natural terrain just like BEast. Catamount skis bigger, imo. The 1,100 foot vertical claim at Berkshire East is all fluff- the true vertical is like 930 feet iirc. Catamount really is 1,000 or very close to it.