• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2010 Subaru Outback

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm really curious what you think after a winter with a TDi.

Because of fuel gumming up?

I would think down in PA that wouldn't be as much of an issue as living full time in VT. Then again, the blends are probably different

bvibert

Staff member
Keep us posted on how that new wagon works out! Definitely is at the top of my short list for when I need to upgrade. For now, my car is fully paid off and running problem free at 155k, so it may be one year or three, but I am trying to get a feel for my options at this point.

Yes, please. I'm no where near buying a new car at the moment, but I'll still be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Philpug

It's kinda like hitting a golf ball into the woods---lose one find 3 :grin:

Enjoy the farfromgrovin tho :wink:

I know they won't loose too much sleep over my loss. As I said with the Legacy, these will be the best selling Legacys/Outbacks ever. They are better cars, just not better Subarus. Quite frankly, I see VW going the same direction with the next generation Jettas, I hear they will be "americanized".

campgottagopee

I know they won't loose too much sleep over my loss. As I said with the Legacy, these will be the best selling Legacys/Outbacks ever. They are better cars, just not better Subarus. Quite frankly, I see VW going the same direction with the next generation Jettas, I hear they will be "americanized".

Agree, we're going to see that trend throughout the entire industry.

wa-loaf

Impreza got to be the size of the Legacy, Jetta will get to be the size of the Passat, I heard one rumor that the Passat might be going bye-bye.

Well if they bring the Golf ... er ... Rabbit wagon over that would be ok.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Do you think that would still be the case with $4 gasoline?
I would be really surprised if the trend did not eventually reverse itself for this reason. We saw the wholesale slaughter of SUV resale values when gas peaked a few years ago. Now that people have forgotten already how volatile gas prices are, the "Crossover" is the big thing (thus the new Outback). Meanwhile, Americans love bigger cars but some want higher MPG than "Crossovers" so we get sliding MPGs backwards as cars get bigger. Wonderful. Give it five years... I bet "Crossovers" will be the next SUV and bigger cars with be the next "Crossover" and eventually once gas prices get high enough, high MPG vehicles will come back into "fashion". Its like the car world has Texas fever... but does not want to be identified as a Texan.

:flag:

:roll:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think one of the big issues driving the 'Americanized larger cars' is that most mid sized (which are now large cars) get just as good of gas mileage as compacts. Case in point would be my wife and I's cars. Our 07 Hyundai Sonata with a 3.5L 233 HP V6 and an automatic actually averages about 2mpg better both city and highway than our 04 Mazda 3 Hatchback with a 2L 148 HP V4 manual.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think one of the big issues driving the 'Americanized larger cars' is that most mid sized (which are now large cars) get just as good of gas mileage as compacts. Case in point would be my wife and I's cars. Our 07 Hyundai Sonata with a 3.5L 233 HP V6 and an automatic actually averages about 2mpg better both city and highway than our 04 Mazda 3 Hatchback with a 2L 148 HP V4 manual.
Yea, I have noticed that trend of compacts and sub-compacts not getting what they used to.

Philpug

If Subie brought their diesel over, I might have waited. But first and foremost I wanted to go back to a real wagon, I weighed AWD vs. TDI and since there was no AWD wagons in the $20's and having a soft spot for VW products, I had 12 of them, the Jetta was my choice.

campgottagopee

Do you think that would still be the case with $4 gasoline?

No, it's like Riv mentioned how "we" Americans have short memories. Just a year ago I we were taking in on trade more full size suv/trucks than you can imagine, and truly stupid low prices because of where the market was at. Now, that "stuff" is what's selling. Go figure.

Glenn

Europeans are liking the larger vehicles as well. Turns out, as people get older (the largest segment of the population currently) they're less likely to enjoy wedging themselves in and out of small spaces. Not everyone over there drives a vintage mini.

hammer

Europeans are liking the larger vehicles as well. Turns out, as people get older (the largest segment of the population currently) they're less likely to enjoy wedging themselves in and out of small spaces. Not everyone over there drives a vintage mini.
Wouldn't be able to tell that from the way the parking garages are...when I traveled in Germany a number of years back it amazed me how tight the parking garage spaces are. When I had a Volvo S80 as a rental (Volvos seem to have large turn radii) getting into parking garage spaces was a real challenge.

Philpug

Wouldn't be able to tell that from the way the parking garages are...when I traveled in Germany a number of years back it amazed me how tight the parking garage spaces are. When I had a Volvo S80 as a rental (Volvos seem to have large turn radii) getting into parking garage spaces was a real challenge.

Volvo front wheel drives have a large TR, with a transverse mounted in line motor, they are limited to wheel turn in. The rear wheel drive Volvos, 240/740/940 had a super tight TR. The S80 had a super long tranverse mounted 6.

hammer

Volvo front wheel drives have a large TR, with a transverse mounted in line motor, they are limited to wheel turn in. The rear wheel drive Volvos, 240/740/940 had a super tight TR. The S80 had a super long tranverse mounted 6.
Makes sense, I'm also aware of that in my S40...I really enjoy driving the car but I'd admit that the turn radius is big for a car of its size.

That said, I've had fun getting other German cars into the parking garages as well.