• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2013 SKI Magazine Resort Rankings (Northeast)

midd

Am I naive to presume the rankings have some correlation to advertising revenue, a la the "Best of Boston" from Boston Magazine and everything Phantom Gourmet related?

Smellytele

I guess its me...but, I think the Stratton lift system stinks. Granted they have a lot of HS lifts, but ever since they moved the North American Chair and took out the old Grizzly....I feel you spend a lot of time traversing and generally on weekends they have really long liftlines. They need to make the snowbowl a HS lift....that would help.

I can see your point but you need to ski it in pods. Stay in the same area and ski it out then move to the next pod.

AdironRider

Am I naive to presume the rankings have some correlation to advertising revenue, a la the "Best of Boston" from Boston Magazine and everything Phantom Gourmet related?

You would be naive, and wrong.

thetrailboss

Staff member

That's how it works with the 'Globe.

midd

Pretty sure I'm not, unless I missed the reputable survey company that collected the data and accounting house that verified the results.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pretty sure I'm not, unless I missed the reputable survey company that collected the data and accounting house that verified the results.

Yeah, we're talking about SKI Magazine.....they might have used one at one time, but certainly not now.

Edd

They're pretty clear that the readers do the voting but who knows? I'm assuming the process of choosing the top skis is more corrupt than the one choosing the top resorts.

BenedictGomez

For a place that has only cared about real estate for the past decade, you shouldnt be that suprised.

I'm not one that's surprised Sugarbush isnt in the top-10, though I'd have no problem if they slotted it somewhere #8 - #10. But what's absurd is that Holiday Valley is ranked > Sugarbush = LULZ. Only if you've never seen a snowflake before.

I've day tripped Smuggs but haven't stayed in their village. Is there any nightlife happening at all?

Not really. The best nightlife "at" Smuggs is a 45 minute drive away in Burlington.

MadMadWorld

Pat needs to get over the Canada thing. 99% of us are not going to get passports, deal with customs, annoying french wannabes or BC hippies to ski in Canada when we can get just as good, if not better skiing, here in the US. End of story.

Getting usernames confused. I am born and raised in the US and I find skiing in Canada to be unreal. Canadian customs can suck and take forever but it is definitely worth a trip.

steamboat1

I guess its me...but, I think the Stratton lift system stinks. Granted they have a lot of HS lifts, but ever since they moved the North American Chair and took out the old Grizzly....I feel you spend a lot of time traversing and generally on weekends they have really long liftlines. They need to make the snowbowl a HS lift....that would help.
I tend to agree with you, wouldn't say it stinks but far from the best layout I've ever seen. The upper traverse over to the Urza chair is dangerous with throngs of people going flat out in order to make the traverse without having to walk. That little turn going flat out is a dangerous area. The lower traverse is not much better with people coming flying down right into the lift line. And what's with the placement of the base of the Shooting Star lift. If you miss the blind turn going over to it coming down you miss the lift & have to ski all the way down to the Sun Bowl base. Not to mention you have to go flat out around that turn in order to make the lift without walking. The lift should have been run differently with the base being lower down skiers right. Nice six pack chairs however.

Don't even get me started about how they cram 12 people into the gondola.

Last edited:

fbrissette

Getting usernames confused. I am born and raised in the US and I find skiing in Canada to be unreal. Canadian customs can suck and take forever but it is definitely worth a trip.

As a very frequent US/Canada traveller, get a NEXUS pass. 50$ for 5 years and you get to bypass all lines. Even if you only come to Canada once a year, you'll be happy.

summit62

Probably enjoying the advantage of an unusually strong family vote.

I've day tripped Smuggs but haven't stayed in their village. Is there any nightlife happening at all?

No, really no nightlife at all. There is a bar in the village that was nearly deserted during my visit last year. Who the heck wants to drive 45 mins to Burlington and back after a long day of skiing? Really great family programs and convenient village set up when traveling with children. With a young son at home, I will be back soon.

AdironRider

I dont care where you were born Pat, the point is, not that many people are going to deal with that to ski the Chic Chocs or Le Massif. Good for you you think its unreal, the majority doesnt agree.

steamboat1

Pat needs to get over the Canada thing. 99% of us are not going to get passports, deal with customs, annoying french wannabes or BC hippies to ski in Canada when we can get just as good, if not better skiing, here in the US. End of story.
I'm not talking about flying west but going thru the boarder by car to ski either the Eastern Townships or driving up to Quebec City is no hassle at all. The worst that can happen is a little wait because of cars in front of you, but often there aren't. Mt. St. Anne or Le Massif should definitely be on that list.

AdironRider

I'm not talking about flying west but going thru the boarder by car to ski either the Eastern Townships or driving up to Quebec City is no hassle at all. The worst that can happen is a little wait because of cars in front of you, but often there aren't. Mt. St. Anne or Le Massif should definitely be on that list.

Right, so they should spend more time in a car than it would take to fly to Jackson for inferior terrain. Good call. After gas, buying a passport, dealing with customs (Ive crossed the border hundreds of times family has a place up there, its not always easy peasy), its probably more expensive as well. Time is money.

Theres a reason the readers didnt vote them in, noone cares to go there from the US.

steamboat1

Right, so they should spend more time in a car than it would take to fly to Jackson for inferior terrain. Good call. After gas, buying a passport, dealing with customs (Ive crossed the border hundreds of times family has a place up there, its not always easy peasy), its probably more expensive as well. Time is money.

Theres a reason the readers didnt vote them in, noone cares to go there from the US.
First off the cost of gas is a lot less than the cost of a plane ticket, especially if your splitting cost with someone else & I have a passport for a lot more important reasons than crossing the Canadian border. Secondly I'm talking about the rankings of eastern ski areas not western areas. Your not wanting to go to Canada is fine by me as well as many others.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Sounds like it is similar to Whiteface or Sugarloaf with an added boarder crossing.

EPB

How come people have voted Tremblant number one for the last 15 years? Quebec City and Tremblant are within 25 minutes of the same drive time from Boston, with QC slightly closer.

farlep99

Buying a passport? They're good for 10yrs & if you're only going to Canada, Mexico, or islands you can get the 'passport card' for $55 also valid for 10 years. That's $5.50/year. Sure it's something, but I wouldn't consider it a deterrance for people heading to Eastern Canada for skiing. I think driving distance is the biggest deterrant.