• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2015 Golf Thread

dlague

OK I could not resist - it always appears in these golf threads. Give it a second to get rolling!

Damn he was funny!

xwhaler

Let me know how it goes at outlook, I might be playing a tournament there later in the summer. I play mostly around the Merrimack valley area in MA, my home course is Long Meadow in Tewksbury.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Outlook is a great course...not overly long...plays 6004 from the blues so not overly long. Need to be accurate though especially on the front 9 which plays as links style. End up in the tall grass off the fairway and it can be tough to find your ball much less hit out.
Back 9 in more hilly, traditional old new England style course through the woods.
Brother in law is a member there this season and my in laws have a place in Ogunquit so I will be there a few more times this summer.
Clubhouse is awesome for a post round beverage. Enjoy it!

C-Rex

This past snowboard season tapped me out. I just couldn't say no with all the snow we got and I WAY overspent my budget. Worth it, on one hand, but my golf season is suffering as a result. Courses are so expensive in CT. I really have to hunt for deals and try to go at off times.

My parents retired and are doing the snowbird thing in Florida. I wanted to have something to do with my dad when I go visit, so I started getting more into golf. I'm totally hooked now. I'm still a hacker but getting better. I played a lot of baseball when I was younger so it took me a while to break those swing habits. I'm finally hitting solid, straight drives and approach shots. My short game has always been pretty good but lately it has suffered since I've been concentrating on striking so much. One day it'll all come together. I just need more time on the course and maybe a few lessons. In the mean time, I'm loving the great weather and time with my pop.

Last edited:

Warp Daddy

Had an eagle this am and continuing my tendency to be a streaky player have had 3 sucessive rounds of 79 after following 5 successive rounds of 81 .we have been out 17 times this yr so far , averaging 81 . so pleased that am able to continue to improve ever so slightly over last season . At 72 my new goal is to shoot my age :wink: it,ll be a stretch my best is 75 so far .

Dr Jeff had given me some advice a few yrs ago that helped me to mentally break through the sub 80 barrier and today was my 20th round sub 80 in last 4 yrs ....Thanks again doc !!!

mriceyman

Had an eagle this am and continuing my tendency to be a streaky player have had 3 sucessive rounds of 79 after following 5 successive rounds of 81 .we have been out 17 times this yr so far , averaging 81 . so pleased that am able to continue to improve ever so slightly over last season . At 72 my new goal is to shoot my age :wink: it,ll be a stretch my best is 75 so far .

Dr Jeff had given me some advice a few yrs ago that helped me to mentally break through the sub 80 barrier and today was my 20th round sub 80 in last 4 yrs ....Thanks again doc !!!

Just think that your goal may get easier in time.. Or maybe not lol

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Boys wknd this wknd. Playing Green Mtn National on Saturday and Killington GC Sunday.
Staying at K Sat night...should be a fun little trip to see some nicely regarded courses.

xwhaler

Boys wknd this wknd. Playing Green Mtn National on Saturday and Killington GC Sunday.
Staying at K Sat night...should be a fun little trip to see some nicely regarded courses.

Back from the wknd...quick impressions on each course
Green Mtn National: spectacular---really a 1st class operation---gorgeous driving range and holes 1-18 provided really nice visual layout. Course in very nice shape. The only cons and I'm nitpicking are the greens could have been a bit nicer--lot of cleat/divot marks that I don't normally see on $90+ courses.
Very challenging course---played the blues which led to a lot of accurate placement with the 3 wood/driver off the tee. Mostly flat on the front 9 with more elevation on the back.

Can definitely see why it is annually regarded among the top courses in VT.

Killington: okay course, not worth the $ they charge ($85 with cart)
Pro shop guy was a bit unfriendly when we asked about playing as a 5 some---he went on and on about how this was one of their busier days of the season and there was nothing he could do to even attempt to accommodate that. Maybe, just maybe if we showed up at 2pm on a random weekday could he possibly try to work something out.
I get if the course is busy but place was fairly empty to be honest----we played in under 4 hours with about a 15 minute break at the turn.
His attitude and the attitude of others on the course was pretty marginal---$6 hot dogs at the turn was also a bit of a turn off.
Got the sense they need some education in the people/customer service business---most courses especially in Northern New England that I've played dont see a lot of traffic and do all they can to make guests feel welcome.

We booked through K central reservations and the Pro Shop put our group of 5 as a 4 some + 1 guy playing solo---zero common sense used that I've never seen in all my yrs of playing golf.

We worked it out with the starter to play as 3 + 2 (the 2 some behind us were bad golfer friends and were always a hole and a half ahead of the next group)

We thought the layout was nice but they don't maintain it nearly as well as GMNGC. Tough course tho---lot of sneaky break on the greens. Greens were in very good shape though.
A $45 quality (with cart) course most other places----feel K is using it as a loss leader to get people up there in the summer to stay in empty condos.
Really nice views of K and Pico though and time with friends made it a lot of fun.

I'd probably play it again if we got a great deal but not for $85 again---if ever play golf up there again I'd probably just play GMNGC 2x.