• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

uphillklimber

Just in case you missed it, the River is closing tomorrow, including no uphill traffic. It's gonna be a wet windy mess. They have a bunch of whales blow here and there, and they will, as they always do, get the mountain back in shape after 2-3 days.

machski

Yea but they're not looking at resolving it that way anymore. The two boosters for Jordan are 3,000 GPM out of a total 8,500 GPM out of Barker right now so it's not that bad. But the current plan is to put a booster station at the top of the Chondola and rebuild the Barker Pumphouse upping the total flow out of there.
You are likely right. They were having a hell of a time trying to figure out the water line route to Jordan from the river and how to put in some type of holding pond out that way. Given the new feed line of correct size and material, likely smarter to just boost that feed to the max.

You are likely right. They were having a hell of a time trying to figure out the water line route to Jordan from the river and how to put in some type of holding pond out that way. Given the new feed line of correct size and material, likely smarter to just boost that feed to the max.
What could possibly go wrong???????
That cheapo Chinese pipe might hold for a time.........
Maybe.

Newpylong

It's ductile iron and it's pretty thick walled by design. I'd give it 30 years.

It is only 20" diameter so around 10,000 GPM max flowrate. They'll need to find another source if they want to go beyond that eventually. All the wet pits at the river are filled too so would need more powerful pumps.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ski the East just posted this:

uphillklimber

I managed to get the grandkids for some skiing today. It's been a couple years:oops:. So... I was looking for a way to keep this affordable. I was surprised to see that the Sunday River beginner ticket was very competitive with Mt Abrams and Lost valley, which both are still not open. Even if they were, you know the snow and conditions at the river are more dependable, if accompanied by a larger crowd. I was happy with the conditions they had for the kids, they were never leaving the beginner area, though they seemed to pick it up fairly quickly again. I even doubled down the savings on a twilight ticket, about $10.00 less each and thinned out crowds. Their lighting will not compete with Shawnee, but it was very good and we built some great memories with all the fun!

I couldn't quite talk them into going up the chondie to the top of North Peak. Seems they are learning to respect their abilities and conditions. They could have done it, but it would have been as struggle for them at some of the steeper areas. Hoping to get them again!

SLyardsale

I managed to get the grandkids for some skiing today. It's been a couple years:oops:. So... I was looking for a way to keep this affordable. I was surprised to see that the Sunday River beginner ticket was very competitive with Mt Abrams and Lost valley, which both are still not open. Even if they were, you know the snow and conditions at the river are more dependable, if accompanied by a larger crowd. I was happy with the conditions they had for the kids, they were never leaving the beginner area, though they seemed to pick it up fairly quickly again. I even doubled down the savings on a twilight ticket, about $10.00 less each and thinned out crowds. Their lighting will not compete with Shawnee, but it was very good and we built some great memories with all the fun!

I couldn't quite talk them into going up the chondie to the top of North Peak. Seems they are learning to respect their abilities and conditions. They could have done it, but it would have been as struggle for them at some of the steeper areas. Hoping to get them again!
I'd check out Lost Valley based on this trip report..

https://www.sugarloaftoday.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9188

uphillklimber

My grandsons live in Lewiston, so it might have been easier to take them to Lost Valley. Instead, they have to stay at Grandpas house for a couple days, free of their parents, where the menu consists of chocolate chip cookies, pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs. Romping in the woods and playing pool and ping pong. I do like Lost Valley, but it is small and only fun for a day.

downdraft

Glad you had fun with the grandkids! Overall conditions at SR were not too bad today. The snowmaking quality has been kind of quick and dirty - quantity over quality, but the grooming efforts have eventually compensated for it.
(My nieces grew up sking at Lost Valley!)

Newpylong

We had fun last night there.

Wind was brutal at times and the Chondie was running slower than South Ridge express. Tons of snowmaking going on they were maxed out on water.

Left side of Dreammaker had plenty of sugar left, but was very thin. Supposed to see a top dressing soon. That's all we did due to my novice daughter besides lower Escapade, Broadway etc. Forgot how good of a beginner area the SR Quad is. Tough to beat that.

Last edited:

machski

Cannot complain about the mountain's efforts. Today started out warmish (wind made it still feel cold) but they were pushing snow wherever they could, even if that meant only 4 guns down from the top of AmEx to start out on. Excalibur under the guns to the last 1/3 was fun, even if the temps were resulting in a very wet product coming out. Guns continued to come on lowere and lower on AmEx and Obsession as the day wore on and temps slowly kept dropping. Lower obsession was a blast, best quality snow from snowmaking yesterday and overnight. Risky a close second.

uphillklimber

Wow, what great conditions yesterday. I took off the holiday week (bronze pass) and with the fresh snow, it was such a nice day!!! I started out skinning up the hill for an hour and skied 5 hours after that. Longest day of the season. Normally the skinning takes the energy from me a bit, but it was just so nice. We found moguls on Tempest and American express, as well as some on the sides of some groomed trails. Skied across everything from Jordan to White Cap. Heading back today for more of the same

uphillklimber

I actually skied Wednesday twilight with the grandkids. I tried to get the ticket loaded onto my bronze pass for me, but I'd have to pick up a ticket for each of the boys. So I went inside and they gave me three lift passes. I thought it strange a little bit, but the passes worked for Wednesday, never an issue.

Until, yesterday, I tried to get on lift 2 and 6. Pass not working. So I head back. Seems that they deactivated my pass when they gave me a different pass for Wednesday holiday week. My pas wouldn't, or shouldn't have worked then anyways. Why??? Must be the Sunday River way. Anyways, I get it reactivated, no issues all day afterwards.

Just be aware if you do something similar.

uphillklimber

It was a brisk cold windy day today, and the crowds were sparse. I think the weather and being a Thursday all contributed to it. As I skied around, I could see snow guns on American Express, which we skied under, White Heat, Airglow and Black Hole. I just gotta say I am impressed with the snowmaking efforts of the River. Even in a bad snow season, they give you a good ski season. When other local ski areas are just getting open, they have been open for a month and a half already and have, in some cases, more terrain open than the smaller areas have terrain.

The skiing was pretty good today, lots of soft snow around, but there were a few areas that were not so soft (Jibe). After the rains a couple weeks ago, they are pretty well recovered and rounding into mid season form.

Be aware that the North Peak and Locke triple lifts are relegated to weekends only. They are having staffing issues, no immigrant workers this year, for obvious reasons. I have no way of knowing if or how the financial situation is impacted, I am just glad they are able to make a go of it and stay open.

machski

It was a brisk cold windy day today, and the crowds were sparse. I think the weather and being a Thursday all contributed to it. As I skied around, I could see snow guns on American Express, which we skied under, White Heat, Airglow and Black Hole. I just gotta say I am impressed with the snowmaking efforts of the River. Even in a bad snow season, they give you a good ski season. When other local ski areas are just getting open, they have been open for a month and a half already and have, in some cases, more terrain open than the smaller areas have terrain.

The skiing was pretty good today, lots of soft snow around, but there were a few areas that were not so soft (Jibe). After the rains a couple weeks ago, they are pretty well recovered and rounding into mid season form.

Be aware that the North Peak and Locke triple lifts are relegated to weekends only. They are having staffing issues, no immigrant workers this year, for obvious reasons. I have no way of knowing if or how the financial situation is impacted, I am just glad they are able to make a go of it and stay open.
Jibe likely was firm as it was just pushed out, should get better. Yup, saw they posted on FB for lift operators. Wonder if we will see Oz ever spin this season? Little White Cap spins this weekend supposedly. Crowds could be a bit bigger midweek on Tues/Wed all season, SR is offering tickets those non holiday days for as low as $59 if bought well in advance and not rising above $69 until 3 days out. That is a good value, especially this season.

uphillklimber

Jibe did ski better today. The crowds were a bit bigger, Friday is the new Saturday with folks starting their weekend early. I saw little White Cap was groomed out, Assumption anyways, I can't imagine they didn't do the whole of it, but no lift operators to run the Little White Cap chair. The skiing just keeps getting better.

machski

Jibe did ski better today. The crowds were a bit bigger, Friday is the new Saturday with folks starting their weekend early. I saw little White Cap was groomed out, Assumption anyways, I can't imagine they didn't do the whole of it, but no lift operators to run the Little White Cap chair. The skiing just keeps getting better.
Little White Cap opened Saturday first thing. Moonstruck/Green Cheese/Starlight all open. Assumption will wait til WH is ready. Lots of snow on that, could have been skiable Sunday but patrol was concerned the snowpack was a bit wet at points and that it could slide. Airglow skied great on Saturday, Sunday was ok but some of the wetter whales firmed up overnight. Suppose to get pushed out Sunday night, Upper never opened so hopefully that grooms out nice. Paradigm and Black Hole are finished as well, they will likely cure another day before they get pushed out. Grand Rapids was getting more snow Sunday, a bit wet so doubt they will groom that tonight. Might be a good first or second run tomorrow! Making snow like crazy still, plenty new runs coming later this week.

Newpylong

Some info for the River folks:

Snowmaking has been on White Heat, Wildfire, Rocking Chair, 3D, Upper Downdraft, Lost Process, Cowardly Lion.

White Heat should be shutdown today and Salvation should come on.

Vortex should also come online today. Top Gun is being setup.

They are going thinner than usual trying not to skip any trails.