• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

machski

Pipe is toast on Backside/Polaris so that won't run this year. Trail is kinda redundant anyway isn't it?
Yes, backside does allow access to Quantum from Chondi or via Downdraft over. Polaris is whatever it is. Had they continued to use upper Dream as a park like they did for a time, the route to Quantum then Polaris off North summit might have been a nice alternative. Now that they don't do that anymore, I don't think folks miss Polaris if they even know it exists.

Oh yeah, Ski Back too. Not that they mad emuch last year, just used the one hydrant at the current dead end probably to check the line/valves. Don't think any of the new 3 homes along it are finished yet to care. Looks like where the line dead ends will continue up one of the new Merrill Hill runs when cut from the plans. The flat part of what they cut up to Aurora road doesn't look to be used for actual trails, not sure why they cut it.

uphillklimber

They got an inch and a half last night, and wow!!! Buttery smooth skiing until it skied off today. We did a couple runs on Lost Princess and Vortex, that helped with some of the hard packed moguls.

Otherwise it was a great day there. My buddy asked what we did to deserve this? I replied, everything, and we didn't get caught!

Really a great day skiing.

They got an inch and a half last night, and wow!!! Buttery smooth skiing until it skied off today. We did a couple runs on Lost Princess and Vortex, that helped with some of the hard packed moguls.

Otherwise it was a great day there. My buddy asked what we did to deserve this? I replied, everything, and we didn't get caught!

Really a great day skiing.
Heading up to SR on Friday and staying at Jordan Hotel for a couple of nights. Looks like cold(er) weather progressing through the weekend, but winds consistently increasing each day.

Where would you recommend skiing so that wind holds are minimized on Sat/Sun?

uphillklimber

Heading up to SR on Friday and staying at Jordan Hotel for a couple of nights. Looks like cold(er) weather progressing through the weekend, but winds consistently increasing each day.

Where would you recommend skiing so that wind holds are minimized on Sat/Sun?
I hate to say it, but the Jordan lift typically gets the most wind holds. If it is windy at the River, it's likely to be windiest at Jordan. Little white Cap at the far other end seldom shuts down for wind, as it is well protected. White Cap (Tempest) seems to keep running in the wind. Barker, when it isn't breaking down (just kidding) can be fairly reliable. After that, it is pretty much up in the air based upon wind direction.

When I see 15 MPH winds or so, that seems to be a benchmark for when lifts will be shut down, more or less. You might be okay.

1611180819590.png

I hate to say it, but the Jordan lift typically gets the most wind holds. If it is windy at the River, it's likely to be windiest at Jordan. Little white Cap at the far other end seldom shuts down for wind, as it is well protected. White Cap (Tempest) seems to keep running in the wind. Barker, when it isn't breaking down (just kidding) can be fairly reliable. After that, it is pretty much up in the air based upon wind direction.

When I see 15 MPH winds or so, that seems to be a benchmark for when lifts will be shut down, more or less. You might be okay.

View attachment 50111
Thanks! That's my feeling exactly about wind speed and lift holds at mountains. I'll try to get out of Jordan area quickly, but hoping to get in a lot of terrain this weekend and looking to avoid the crowds and weather as much as possible.

I've got a negative covid test in hand and ready to ski!

machski

Thanks! That's my feeling exactly about wind speed and lift holds at mountains. I'll try to get out of Jordan area quickly, but hoping to get in a lot of terrain this weekend and looking to avoid the crowds and weather as much as possible.

I've got a negative covid test in hand and ready to ski!
Since you are staying out that side of the resort, the Oz Quad is quite insulated from NW winds and typically will run long after Jordan/Aurora/Spruce/Chondi go on wind hold. They have been known to keep running that quad as an isolated pod. They don't usually spin it until 10am Sat/Sun, keep an eye on it if winds kick up. Was hoping they would have started making snow on Eureka by now, the guns have been setup since this past weekend. Perhaps they froze a valve or two. If they get started by tomorrow, that run could open this weekend.

Newpylong

They are running at reduced capacity due to peak power usage periods, shutting down from 4-8pm daily. Not sure how long that'll go for, but expansion will be slow while that's occurring on the grid.

machski

They are running at reduced capacity due to peak power usage periods, shutting down from 4-8pm daily. Not sure how long that'll go for, but expansion will be slow while that's occurring on the grid.
Interesting, must be beyond their bulk power buy window. Makes sense as normally they would have hit everythng by now and just be in snow maintenance mode.

Newpylong

Correct. One is consumption over time (kWh - which can be part of a bulk purchase) and the other is apparent usage aka demand (kVa) ie peak usage which can be curtailed.

uphillklimber

What I recall being told about the power bill at the river, to the best of my faulty memory is that Sunday River gets a great bulk rate for their power. But CMP also uses them as a power reservoir. (Part of the deal) When CMP needs more power, say on colder days and the heat pumps are drawing more, there is some arrangement that the river will shut down snowmaking, freeing up power for heating homes, etc...

uphillklimber

The past couple days, Jordan lift has felt like it had a few square wheels on some of the upper towers. And the lift was closed today. Just guessing here, but maybe they were changing out wheels and bearings???? Anyone got the skinny on this?

machski

The past couple days, Jordan lift has felt like it had a few square wheels on some of the upper towers. And the lift was closed today. Just guessing here, but maybe they were changing out wheels and bearings???? Anyone got the skinny on this?
The Mountain Report this morning said lift maintenance was dealing with a mechanical issue on Jordan and would start the day closed. No specifics. Did they run Oz in its stead?

uphillklimber

I was hoping, but was told by my ski buddies that Oz was not open. Today, I skied between the Chondi and White Heat lifts. I tend to go one way or the other from the Chondi on a daily basis.

I was wondering as well if the Jordan lift has been repaired. Arriving tomorrow and staying at the hotel so would rather not have to use the other lift if possible.

uphillklimber

I was wondering as well if the Jordan lift has been repaired. Arriving tomorrow and staying at the hotel so would rather not have to use the other lift if possible.
According to their VICO map, Jordan looks open. No mention in their snow report. (I think they don't like to acknowledge that the lifts break down and need maintenance, like any other mechanical item).

uphillklimber

Folks, today, I learned what had happened at the Jordan lift. They had an icing problem on the towers and wheels. They tried rolling the cable forward (and backwards) to free them up. The wheels did not move, and in the process, they ground flat spots into the wheels with the cable. Sigh... it happens.

Took an awkward spill today at 9:15 on lower American express. Particularly the ankle. Knee was initially sore, but that seems fine. Basically, I landed in such a way that my leg folded up at the knee and ankle, straight, like they are supposed to, fortunately. But they folded all the way, even in the ski boot. Probably flexed the boot all the way. I managed to get my skis back on and ski down and walk to the car. I have a timer going to make sure I walk every 20 minutes to prevent stiffening up. Seems to be getting better. Maybe I can ski again Monday!

parahelia

We are heading home tomorrow after an extended stay at our place at SR. I have to say, I’m 100% happy with the effort put forth this season. Snowmaking has been full on, they have covered nearly everything (I think they said 100 trails open?). Lots of fun whales to be had on Vortex, Top Gun, etc. The open naturals (like Upper Cut, Locke Line) were great and lightly trafficked. The MLK storm plus the little refreshes all week long really improved things.

Only complaint is the woods still aren’t really ready. I went in Wizard’s Gulch when they opened it, but it was pretty bony. One more good storm and those should be good to go, too.

Above all, just grateful to be skiing this year.

783553D8-284B-40A9-806B-7CF3715C4BF4.jpeg