• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

machski

Some info for the River folks:

Snowmaking has been on White Heat, Wildfire, Rocking Chair, 3D, Upper Downdraft, Lost Process, Cowardly Lion.

White Heat should be shutdown today and Salvation should come on.

Vortex should also come online today. Top Gun is being setup.

They are going thinner than usual trying not to skip any trails.
Not sure on the thinner than usual part. The whale sizes on White Heat and 3D are larger than many of us can ever remember.

Newpylong

Not sure on the thinner than usual part. The whale sizes on White Heat and 3D are larger than many of us can ever remember.
Of course it is a general statement and snow depth varies by location year by year based on needs and snowmaking windows. Some will have more, some will have less.

But you can be sure of it considering that is from the person (close friend of mine) who decides what to put where and when and for how long there.

Last edited:

uphillklimber

I gotta say you can not fault the River for their snowmaking efforts. They are blowing all over the place and going back and blowing maintenance snow. I am just happy to be skiing at the river, other local ski areas simply are not doing too much right now.

uphillklimber

Downdraft and Black hole are open. Downdraft, in particular, skied really nice today. Soft and edgeable. 4 laps on it! Having fun! Lines aren't too bad, mid week, of course. About the only game in town, teh smaller local mountains are just opening up and only have a few trails available, so the River will be busy.

Newpylong

My aforementioned contact said they've already run 1,100 hours so far. That is a lot... we typically only ran 500 for the entire year (at a small area). I told him I think they've likely pumped more gallons than anyone else in the East. Really only a dozen or so trails left from what I saw. He said they're working in Wildfire, Southpaw, Cowardly Lion and Lost Princess now. Top Gun next, not sure after that.

machski

My aforementioned contact said they've already run 1,100 hours so far. That is a lot... we typically only ran 500 for the entire year (at a small area). I told him I think they've likely pumped more gallons than anyone else in the East. Really only a dozen or so trails left from what I saw. He said they're working in Wildfire, Southpaw, Cowardly Lion and Lost Princess now. Top Gun next, not sure after that.
They will need to keep it going, Saturday is not looking positive at this point.

uphillklimber

I found Lost Princess. After skiing down it, the best skier in our group said it needs to soften up just a bit, a little more sun on it. I told him it'd be a little warmer in 10 minutes!

machski

I found Lost Princess. After skiing down it, the best skier in our group said it needs to soften up just a bit, a little more sun on it. I told him it'd be a little warmer in 10 minutes!
Yeah, I got to it around noon and it definitely firmed/locked up a bit overnight. Was affraid it might do that. Not sure how long you stayed out, but Vortex opened below Lights Out later in the day and skied nice, don't think they got it quite finished, but fun. Southpaw opened too and skied great. Salvation did too but didn't make it back over there. They are definitely pushing hard, love it. Noticed guns and hose pulled and set on Eureka, so looks like Oz will be completely blown in this season. Figure Shockwave is up too after the storm, which is perfect timing. Temps suppose to be more average next week.

Newpylong

I was told next up or to come back online next week is: Top gun, vortex, eureka, shockwave, south paw. And that's likely it. I know that leaves Agony and Quantum doesn't it? What else...

downdraft

Yes, not sure why no Agony? Normally that would be ahead of Top Gun. But, no sign of any set-up there. Awesome that they are blowing Oz trails.

machski

Yes, not sure why no Agony? Normally that would be ahead of Top Gun. But, no sign of any set-up there. Awesome that they are blowing Oz trails.
They always ice up Barker Quad when they blow Agony, so that is why Top Gun has been ahead of Agony. They may hit Agony a bit now that we have some decent natural cover down first, more to "stretch" the natural. We'll see, it skis good on natural assuming the upper rock ledge gets covered.

Quantum melts fast because of its exposure, still a bit surprised they didn't/won't hit that this year. Fun trail and the only one that Quantum actually serves to lap. You woud think they would want that option this year rather than Quantum just a reliever/back up lift.

The only other missing trails would be Backside, Polaris, Upper and Lower Chondi Line, Spectator and Exit Left. Nothing substantial.

Newpylong

I asked about snowmaking on Quantum and they said it sucks because of it's exposure it gets wind scoured. Unknown if they'll do it. I remember they didn't do it a bunch of years in a row.

machski

I asked about snowmaking on Quantum and they said it sucks because of it's exposure it gets wind scoured. Unknown if they'll do it. I remember they didn't do it a bunch of years in a row.
True, but the last two years they have made it. Of course, both of those years were better natural snow years to this point in the season to give them a better hand.

They've done great this season given the late start and crappy December. Can't fault them if they leave off Quantum and Agony.