• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

machski

Great week and weekend at the Rivah! Yesterday the snow started late at about 1030am but then came down hard between 1230-2pm. Then came in bursts all through early evening. First day I skied into twilight time, great day. Guess we got a spritz of rain overnight but barley noticable today. All the natural stuff skies great, woods back to fine form. It got warm, so tomorrow morning may be a bit firm but should soften. Weekday warriors, get at it tomorrow because Tuesday much will be locked up hard that softened today and tomorrow.

cdskier

Might be an odd question, but anyone know what happened to uphillklimber? I just realized he hasn't posted in this thread in about a month now. Odd for someone that used to post pretty regular updates. Hope he's ok...

skiur

Might be an odd question, but anyone know what happened to uphillklimber? I just realized he hasn't posted in this thread in about a month now. Odd for someone that used to post pretty regular updates. Hope he's ok...
He stopped posting shortly after some controversy in a post about him colliding or almost colliding with someone while skiing.

ss20

He stopped posting shortly after some controversy in a post about him colliding or almost colliding with someone while skiing.

Yeah and people were being BRUTAL to him about it, imo.

Hope he comes back as I always check this thread before going up to SR for conditions. He's also the one who worked at SR for a couple years, correct? He always had some kind of inside scoop.

cdskier

I totally forgot about that thread. Out of curiosity I just looked at the timing. He continued to post here for another 10 days or so after he started that thread...

Yeah and people were being BRUTAL to him about it, imo.

Hope he comes back as I always check this thread before going up to SR for conditions. He's also the one who worked at SR for a couple years, correct? He always had some kind of inside scoop.
Yea, some responses were a bit over the top. Timing is still a little off on him stopping posting though if he was bothered by the responses in that thread. Hope he comes back too. I don't ski SR, but I did enjoy reading his regular updates on conditions.

downdraft

Uphillclimber, if you are reading this, as a regular Sunday River skier, I hope all is good with you. I enjoyed reading your posts and hope to meet you at Barker (when things return to normal) or out on the hill someday.

machski

Windy and now the area is totally without power. CMP says they won't put crews up in buckets with this kind of wind (can't say I blame them). Though I do hope our condo complex doesn't get too cold.

I have spoken to Uphillclimber, he is overall ok but had to take some time off hill. He should be back, I'll reach out and check on him.

2Planker

Been there done that.
I remember a XMas Day many years ago. When the whole place was on wind hold.
We had to SnoMo up Kansas to get there.
We honkered down w/ 120mph winds almost blowing the top shack away.
It was absolutely insane for 3-4 hours

IIRC, we closed everrything by 11-12

uphillklimber

Hey guys, still here. Some of you may have noticed that I crossed my tips some 5 weeks ago. Right leg collapsed, but fortunately folded in the direction it was intended. Butt went to heel and I'm pretty sure that shin went to toe, but the boot didn't break(????) Knee is 99 1/2% back. Ankle is 90-95% depending on the day. I've missed more days than I care to admit. Just not a whole lot to add.

Anyone see this about the Snowcap Inn? I hear power has been out across the mountain since shortly after noon. They have shut down for the day.
1614715602696.png

cdskier

Hey guys, still here. Some of you may have noticed that I crossed my tips some 5 weeks ago. Right leg collapsed, but fortunately folded in the direction it was intended. Butt went to heel and I'm pretty sure that shin went to toe, but the boot didn't break(????) Knee is 99 1/2% back. Ankle is 90-95% depending on the day. I've missed more days than I care to admit. Just not a whole lot to add.

Anyone see this about the Snowcap Inn? I hear power has been out across the mountain since shortly after noon. They have shut down for the day.
View attachment 50706
Glad to hear you're getting closer to everything being back to 100%. Like I said, I don't ski SR, but I did enjoy reading your posts and seeing your passion for skiing.

downdraft

View attachment 50706
Welcome back. Glad you are feeling better and that you didn't break or tear anything!

uphillklimber

I consider myself lucky. Didn't break or tear anything, but I sure pulled some things. Ankle probably got he worst of the spraining. Knee was real sore at first, but as soon as I got myself up and started walking, it started coming back to normal. I skied down, basically, on one ski, that ankle was plenty sore. I've been back out, but it is mostly groomers and moguls, not too much off trail outside of Blind ambition and I I did do Shockwave, slower than usual, but I did it! I still gotta heal up. I'm paying way too much attention to how my leg feels when I ski.

downdraft

I consider myself lucky. Didn't break or tear anything, but I sure pulled some things. Ankle probably got he worst of the spraining. Knee was real sore at first, but as soon as I got myself up and started walking, it started coming back to normal. I skied down, basically, on one ski, that ankle was plenty sore. I've been back out, but it is mostly groomers and moguls, not too much off trail outside of Blind ambition and I I did do Shockwave, slower than usual, but I did it! I still gotta heal up. I'm paying way too much attention to how my leg feels when I ski.
Nothing wrong with taking it a bit easier until you are fully healed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Check this out--the Denmark Arts Center is doing a virtual Greg Stump movie festival. Shared on the Sunday River Enthusiasts Group

ss20

View attachment 50706

That sucks about your health @uphillklimber . Get better!

And about the Snow Cap...THIS IS ENTIRELY NORMAL. Last year in early January, my buddy and I were up for a few days. There was one particularly windy night and it was quite loud. Woke up the next day...the roof was peeled up like a tin can, and we were on the second floor so it was right above us. We came beck in the afternoon excited because we believed they'd have to move us to another hotel like the Grand Summit. Maintenance guys were just finishing up putting on the new roof in the 6 hours we had been gone.

Not the best shot but there was exposed framing as in your picture.
IMG_20200109_085825008_HDR.jpg

Later that day...good as new!
20200110_083902.jpg

machski

PSA given the wind damage around the area, DO NOT GO BLASTING into the woods the balance of the season first run through anything. What were open lines have a high probability of being blocked partially or completely. Large limbs may be lurking around a corner waiting to impale. Everyone please ski/ride safely and slowly until you are sure a line is good.