• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

machski

What is the deal with Jordan access tomorrow? Problem to park at the hotel, boot up in car and walk to trail?

Heading over with daughter first thing in AM, have not skied SR other than opening/closing weekend since ASC days. Getting some early use out of next year's passes.
Hope you had fun, should not have been an issue. Jordan and Oz were skiing pretty well, all things considered. A bit rocky at the top, but once by pretty good the balance. All of it was good, except for the White Cap run. That was sketch, but glad to have the short walk to/from access at our condo.

machski

What a solid weekend, with plenty of terrain still in the mix from Locke all the way over to Jordan and a stitch line patched to put the White Cap Quad in play as well (allowed for easy lift access out after hiking to White Heat and Shockwave, which were so worth it). Obviously Friday and Saturday's heat took a toll but the only trail lost was Upper Vortex (and it was open, but a tough area to cross in boots was down to rock). Unsure if Spruce will open again next weekend, Tourist Trap is the only route back to Barker and is rapidly loosing snowpack without a good farm source close by. Of course, there is chance of a late Nor'Easter late week so maybe.
PXL_20210411_144014426.jpg
Shockwave was worth the hike over from Barker, especially with lift service back out of WC.
PXL_20210410_133825892.jpg
Lost Princess was my ROTW, awesome coverage still (best on the Jordan side)
PXL_20210411_152903373.jpg
Upper Downdraft was a close second
PXL_20210411_150401810.jpg
Right Stuff will be the run that carries them through to closing day. Deepest I have seen that trail buried in years.

dblskifanatic

Well definitely a great example of how snowmaking changes the spring dynamic. The sides are brown and the swaths down the middle still good to go. In pic has a person standing in the middle of the trail which makes me think they are happy to be there but sad to see all the brown stuff. I know I feel that way!

skef

Pix from today (Wednesday April 14).

Looking up from Barker Base (yes, Monday Mourning is still open, with “Walking Required” — see skier on left):
DB64BDE5-76F8-4E37-9BDC-36B122F98D51.jpeg

Right Stuff is definitely deep (is it going to be SR’s answer to Superstar?), but has some of the Wrong Stuff mixing in:
94C08D21-6FF2-4EAF-A49C-BE04F795E06B.jpeg

Tourist Trap is getting a little dicey:
86DE9935-7237-4040-9A73-06A0BFAB79D1.jpeg

machski

They definitely need to increase the guns that cover skier's right exit from MM/Race Arena. That is the first area to melt/wash out and I think it is because they really don't have guns that reach there. With the T-Bar, that is not the primary exit for MM.

thebigo

Does anyone know the restaurant situation? We are going to stay in Jordan next weekend, ski Saturday and then just hang around Sunday and Monday. I may hike or i may just float around the pool and drink beers.

Looking for a few family dinners. Looks like the brewery is open for dinner, anything else open?

kbroderick

Does anyone know the restaurant situation? We are going to stay in Jordan next weekend, ski Saturday and then just hang around Sunday and Monday. I may hike or i may just float around the pool and drink beers.

Looking for a few family dinners. Looks like the brewery is open for dinner, anything else open?
The brew pub is closed and lacks appropriate licensing to serve food and beverages to the public, so that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Butcher Burger is open for dine-in; Kowloon Village is as well, but I'm not sure if they're take-out only (they've been back and forth and I'm not sure of current status, but I think they are doing dine-in as well). Suds is open for take-out as well. Bethel House of Pizza is open, but I'm not sure about their dining room.

I'm not sure if anything is open on the mountain; Camp shows open for dinner on weekends on the dining guide, but I'm not sure if that will hold through next weekend, and it's still a pretty good haul from Jordan.

machski

The brew pub is closed and lacks appropriate licensing to serve food and beverages to the public, so that's unlikely to change anytime soon.

Butcher Burger is open for dine-in; Kowloon Village is as well, but I'm not sure if they're take-out only (they've been back and forth and I'm not sure of current status, but I think they are doing dine-in as well). Suds is open for take-out as well. Bethel House of Pizza is open, but I'm not sure about their dining room.

I'm not sure if anything is open on the mountain; Camp shows open for dinner on weekends on the dining guide, but I'm not sure if that will hold through next weekend, and it's still a pretty good haul from Jordan.
River Lanes is a full restaurant/pub as well and are fully open too (plus bowling and an arcade). Not sure if River Haus is open or not now, but they were open for in house dining. Weekend nights best bet if they are.

parahelia

Steam Mill Brewing in the village has outdoor space and live music on Saturdays - went yesterday and it was great. No food at the brewery but Le Mu (Laotian-American fusion) has their trailer in the shared parking lot, it looked delicious.

kbroderick

River Lanes is a full restaurant/pub as well and are fully open too (plus bowling and an arcade). Not sure if River Haus is open or not now, but they were open for in house dining. Weekend nights best bet if they are.
River Haus is actually one of the only places that's been open on a few nights recently where we didn't want to cook, yet somehow we keep forgetting that (living in town, it's out of the way to go back up there). Facebook shows them as being open seven days a week, which is a rarity around here right now.

I think the Millbrook Tavern (at the Bethel Inn) is also operating, but I"m not sure of their schedule.

kbroderick

On the subject of skiing...some of the turns today were really good, and Right Stuff still has great coverage top-to-bottom.

Just about every other trail requires attention to line choice, and if there's a "walking required" sign up, I'd recommend believing it. I could've pulled off Wildfire top-to-bottom if I'd brought my silly skis, but Jungle Road is more suited for mountain-bike travel at this point than for skiing.

machski

Thursday was not your typical late spring day. An inch or so of new snow, flash freeze up had Barker on icing hold to start so Mountain Ops put Locke's on and off ramps back together and gave us a decent groomed surface on T2, Upper Punch and Sunday Punch to start, Felt more like the front of the season with those offerings than the tail end. Some soft turns to be had here and there where it drifted in. Barker shed its ice issues by Noon. While Right Stuff has great cover, the groom overnight made it very interesting and difficult. It was like skiing a golf ball surface, with the dimples all over. Good last day there for me overall. Best snow surface was the ungroomed lower Risky below the Lazy cutover to Amex. Super silky and soft.

thebigo

I do not know why the pictures posted twice and I have too many beers in me to troubleshoot. It was a good closing day, right stuff is deep and was fun.

After skiing vail all year, boyne just puts in that extra effort on all fronts. The surface today at SR was better than wildcat in March. It is more than the fact that SR offered a season nearly two months longer than wildcat. The boyne employees actually talk to customers, I am bringing my kids to fireworks tonight, SR offers an outdoor lunch on the barker deck, the customers are happy.

sull1102

This was my exact experience back in February and then at the beginning of this month when I brought family up. Split my days between Loon and SR this season on a NEP and couldn’t be happier. They stepped it up, I’ve joked with friends it feels like someone at Boyne has it out for Vail and wanted to show off how much better they are than the big boy of the industry.

thebigo

Spectacular night for the kids, could not be happier to be done with vail.

Attachments

• 20210424_203805.jpg
    20210424_203805.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210424_203800.jpg
    20210424_203800.jpg
    956.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210424_203756.jpg
    20210424_203756.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20210424_203207.jpg
    20210424_203207.jpg
    1,023 KB · Views: 3

snoseek

I do not know why the pictures posted twice and I have too many beers in me to troubleshoot. It was a good closing day, right stuff is deep and was fun.

After skiing vail all year, boyne just puts in that extra effort on all fronts. The surface today at SR was better than wildcat in March. It is more than the fact that SR offered a season nearly two months longer than wildcat. The boyne employees actually talk to customers, I am bringing my kids to fireworks tonight, SR offers an outdoor lunch on the barker deck, the customers are happy.
I know you ski a fair bit midweek and on those days I would be all over Loon. Without the crowds its a terrific mtn with fast efficient lifts, Nice long runs that interest me. Its also such an easy drive. Sunday River is great and consistent, and the Sugarloaf is the mecca. That pass is more overall but worth every penny. Wildcat will always be there.