• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2020-21 Sunday River

machski

After an absolute Cyclone of a weekend wind wise, Monday was a breath of fresh air and felt downright balmy. Treated to some Monday treats as well, with Crumba opening and skiing very nicely thanks to the consistent traffic to break up the crust. Celestial Debuted as well, though very little traffic making for a tough slog through the inch of now hardened crust. Quantum Leap also opened after being under the guns for several days and skied great, a dry edgabe chalk surface. Noticed they tossed in the new SMI guns on the make, couldn't discern a difference in surface quality between those or the tried and trusty SR7's. Eureka still set up, hopefully they get to that in time for a weekend open. All the groomed trails skied great today, probably helps from many getting multiple days of grooming in with little to no traffic down them. The ungroomed got a bit of fill from the wind, just enough to make some of the scratchy stuff fun again. Back on Thursday.

Newpylong

SR7 aka ASC Gun, aka LAB7 depending on what mountain you're at. It is a 7 holed round gun that I consider one of if not the best all around air hog ever made. That along with possibly the K2000.

Not rebar per se, but yes they are on a steel tripod. Also they are tower mounted like on White Heat at SR, Outer Limits at K, Superstar at K, etc. Where you need decent throw.

I don't have any super clear pictures but here are a few from last year I took setting them up.

Attachments

• 20191220_180759.jpg
    20191220_180759.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200117_190926.jpg
    20200117_190926.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200131_092826.jpg
    20200131_092826.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

machski

Sunday River has been testing these two new guns from SMI recently on both the Rocking Chair and Quantum makes.GrizzlyHead.png
freedomX-head.png

The first is a Grizzly and it looked good in production. That one is currently at QL right at the backside junction. The second is a Freedom X and I was totally impressed with that thing when they had it in use on RC. The quantity and the throw distance were imressive, similar to an SR7 in my opinion from the chair overhead. Both of these are sled mounted ground, haven't seen any on towers yet. Wonder what the resort thinks about them (as in, will we see a lot more of these)?

machski

I gotta say that I was impressed with these when I saw them running, and really appreciated their small size, making them more mobile.
My guess is, they must have liked what they saw on RC to then run them on QL. Its one thing to test a new gun(s) on a terrain park trail where you just need to make a ton of snow and not be super concerned with quality as it is going to get push, stacked, packed then groomed. But to use on a trail like QL that they do not often groom, they had to feel pretty good about them. Still might be a bit hard to tell about them though, the wind was like a constant jet engine blasting straight up QL all weekend during production.

machski

Conditions are quite nice, many of the naturals are open. White Cap glades definitely need more. Poppy Fields needs a trim and deadfall cleanup. Green Line is close to unskiable from a few fallen trees, one in particular is almost cutting the line completely off. Blue was fine, Orange needs the undergrowth trimmed big time. Almost looks abandoned right now, underbrush was a good 3 feet above the current snow surface! Should have taken a picture.

machski

Well, it took a while this season, but Barker has finally broke down on a peak period. Went down today, didn't sound good as they were moving chairs around the top terminal by hand to get folks off it. Given that, probably part of the terminal cadence setup went on the top terminal. Hopefully that is a Poma part.

But hey, Brian called it a good, efficient machine on the SSPC and we definitely need the new Merrill Triple first.

Newpylong

He also should have been more transparent and agreed that yes, some pipe needs to be replaced asap. Roadrunner is better at irrigation than water distribution to the rest of White Cap. That pipe is toast. Then there is the Backside/Polaris loop which was inoperative this season.

He likely was just turned off by the insinuation that patches add to the overall reduction in pressure due to friction loss. That person evidently read one too many white papers and has never operated a snowmaking system.

machski

He also should have been more transparent and agreed that yes, some pipe needs to be replaced asap. Roadrunner is better at irrigation than water distribution to the rest of White Cap. That pipe is toast. Then there is the Backside/Polaris loop which was inoperative this season.

He likely was just turned off by the insinuation that patches add to the overall reduction in pressure due to friction loss. That person evidently read one too many white papers and has never operated a snowmaking system.
True, that was a crazy question. The Roadrunner pipe is a big deal, far too many blowouts over the last hand full of years. I will miss seeing the bubbling "springs" along the Barker road stream. The backside pipe not so much a big deal. That line is such a narrow gauge pipe and the trail is more nordic than alpine anyway. Polaris is ok, always thought the very top of Quantum off North Peak summit should be renamed Polaris and dropped to green, Quantum should start at the backside/Polaris split. It's funny, Stuart said it but I wouldn't trust the life expectancy of any materials used in the LBO era. They all should be suspect.

Newpylong

Yep, the pipe they put in in that era was junk, ask Sugarbush. A lot of cheap valve stations too. Some of the stuff I've seen at the River made me cringe.

machski

Yep, the pipe they put in in that era was junk, ask Sugarbush. A lot of cheap valve stations too. Some of the stuff I've seen at the River made me cringe.
I know they've changed out a lot of the critical valve stations the last several years, but haven't seen much new pipe run to replace old pipe anyway on hill (obviously, new pipe has been run for new or relocated lines). Barker and Jordan lifts should be upgraded, but the rest are ok IMHO and would rather see those $$$ not be spent in the 2030 plan there but in on hill snowmaking plumbing upgrades/overhauls. If they can't keep the system up, shinny new lifts will just be that, shinny lifts doing nothing.

parahelia

So I was worried that Tuesday's sleetfest would make the naturals unskiable until a refresh came. I'm happy to report I'm wrong. Conditions aren't as good as they were a week ago, but there's still bumps and soft snow to be had. Lapped Oz for a while today, no line and Eureka and Flying Monkey were fun (though Monkey could use a brush trim).

The Ikon/Silver blackout dates seem to have totally altered the Feb. vacation week dynamics. It was nearly empty President's Day weekend. Crowds have been building all week though, and yesterday (Thursday) saw the longest lines I'd been in all season (and this was before Barker crapped out). Despite that, the crowds tend to go for the same few lifts and you can avoid them. They're sold out today and Saturday.

Went to Sugarloaf Wednesday, cold but had a great time; they fared better than SR from Tuesday's event. Naturals were fun, but the groomers looked pretty scoured. Luckily they're easy to avoid. I forgot just how long the lines can get at Sugarloaf when everyone wants to get to the good stuff off Skyline (Timberline was closed). Waits of ~10 minutes on Skyline into the afternoon - impressive for a cold Wednesday.

RiverRunner

Spent all day in the trees this weekend..

West Side:
Gulch is skiing well, bumps are set up nice and not many grabbers lurking. Rock drop in the lower section getting skied off a bit but a good landing zone off the right side

Blind from the Excalibur entrance was phenomenal. Great coverage and little traffic through there.

3rd entrance to poppy fields was a treat, both blue and yellow lines well covered and set up

Gnarnia>Tango link up was another good one.. stayed skiers right up top, cut over to skiers left (rock drop was flat and skied out), then cut hard right below the 3 mile cutover. Good lines all through Tango

Middle line of Chutzpah was crusty from the Thursday sleet, need some jump turns to break through untracked spots.

North woods losing cover in the first section but fun in the middle portion

Eureka to Emerald City is as good as it gets right now, very fun and not a lot of tracks through Emerald

Monkeys top section is getting rough, lower half still fun but getting thin

Spruce Cliffs, first 2/3 skiing really nicely, skier’s right is the only line through the bottom section without having to huck onto a very flat landing

Of note, they groomed down the middle of heat with bumps on either side. Throwing it back to when men were men and Heat had some teeth!

Hopefully some cover coming this week to set us up for March

machski

Skied great today with the top coat from ma nature. Got a bit warmish, at least on the lower half of the mountain even without much sun. West woods and nats are great still, Eastern side nats are getting thin. Suppose to have a few fairly warm days over the next several, though may be split with a bit of white on Saturday, still TBD. Got into some off map lines, weather wasn't kind especially to birches this season. Several need some offseason deadfall help.